Watwheels

On 2/10/2024 at 7:24 PM, Karoon said:

But can't buy property.... only lease for 30 years max

Just rent lo

why buy

↡ Advertisement

On 2/10/2024 at 7:24 PM, Karoon said:

My friend pays S$8k per year for brand new and furnished landed 5br in a double gated compound in Batam. I wouldn't worry about buying when retired.

Visa from 55yrs, not allowed to earn money from ID but rest is okay..... something like that.

Will be studying myself in a couple of years 

• Praise 2

On 2/10/2024 at 8:24 PM, Karoon said:

30 years' time likely need only a box liao.... Why worry?

Anyway renting makes more sense. Don't like ID then move back/somewhere else. 

• Haha! 1

On 2/10/2024 at 7:48 PM, Volvobrick said:

30 years' time likely need only a box liao.... Why worry?

Anyway renting makes more sense. Don't like ID then move back/somewhere else. 

Most LL don’t want very old tenants >70yo

So it is not a long term solution. More like enjoy low cost of living (some trade-offs in quality of living) and then balik kampong.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 2/10/2024 at 7:25 PM, inlinesix said:

Just rent lo

why buy

Some people want something they can pass on 

On 2/10/2024 at 2:56 PM, Volvobrick said:

That is probably the unspoken intent - to get old unproductive sillypooreans out of Sg to make way for younger economically productive new immigrants. 

No difference from running a farm. Old sows that don't bear 12, 13 piglets each time and hens that don't lay eggs everyday are remove from the pens and slaughtered. Don't waste the space and feed. 

That translate to old black chicken used as braised chicken soup for revival for senior folks, their tired body toiled under hot sun as replenishment for body mind and soul.

On 2/10/2024 at 7:15 PM, bsswan said:

Look at Batam or ID in general, very easy to get retirement visa.

Why buy Batam propertywhen one can lease is good enough, its something like JB, My friend say one. Not me😜

On 2/11/2024 at 10:42 AM, Karoon said:

For foreign property, there will be more complications to pass on.

Don’t give Children the problem 

• Praise 3

On 2/11/2024 at 10:42 AM, Karoon said:

There could/should be property in SG.... Rent it out, use the income to pay overseas rent and living expenses.

This is the norm, and still leaves property to pass on, if that is the key.

• Haha! 1

Haven't eaten it for a long time.

Just bought a $5 You Kee duck rice set.

I think they are still one of the best value meal available. 

Turbocharged

Experienced 2 prices increase after CNY.

1. At my regular satay stall at Jalan Berseh FC, Satay and rice, each increase $0.1 to $0.8

2. At geylang Bahru FC western food, spring chicken from 10 to 11.5

for 1, bcos a regular, so the auntie was explaining she had to increase as her supplier had increase the supplies pricing and was rather apologetic for it. i felt it is was difficult not to increase as she did not increase after last years GST but I guess the GST increase again left her with no choice 

for 2, will probably cut down on buying their spring chicken

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

(edited)
On 2/8/2024 at 9:06 AM, Watwheels said:

Wah seh, what do you think? Fair or not fair to consumers, to bear this "surcharge"? Or should the companies bear the cost of the surcharges instead?

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/prepare-pay-more-some-coffee-shops-chinese-new-year-vendors-implement-surcharges

Prepare to pay more at some coffee shops this Chinese New Year as vendors implement surcharges

050224_Kim%20San%20Leng_ST.jpg?itok=Ig2d

The executive director of Badaling Holdings Guo Guanbao (transliteration) told 8world that they plan to implement a drink surcharge from Friday to Sunday. 

Hot and cold drinks at Badaling coffee shops around the island will cost 20 cents extra, while canned drinks will cost 30 cents more. 

A 50-cent surcharge will also be imposed on alcoholic beverages. 

Johnson Lim, CEO of Wu Fu Group, said that their coffee shops will also implement a 20-cent surcharge to drinks after 3pm on Chinese New Year Eve, and a 50-cent surcharge for alcoholic drinks. 

11 out of Wu Fu's 16 coffee shops in Singapore will be open on Chinese New Year eve. 

Their coffee shops will be closed on Saturday and Sunday, and their drink prices will return to normal on Monday. 

Andy Hoon, CEO of Kim San Leng coffee shop chain shared that they would be imposing a 10-cent to 20-cent surcharge on their drinks during the Chinese New Year period. 

Food prices will also increase from between 50 cents to $2 at Kim San Leng coffee shops, depending on individual stall owners and market conditions. 

Qi Ji implements 10 per cent festive surcharge 

The Chinese media says it is to supplement the workers' pay for these establishments. 

https://www.8world.com/singapore/coffeeshop-cny-surcharge-2364311

Like what I mentioned earlier,are the wide range of surcharges during this time fair to consumers?

Looking at majority ppl expectations they think an increase of 10% to 30% extra is alright while experts/economist think it is too much.

For some hair cutting sole proprietor it seems they are the ones who put in the extra effort for the longer working hours, they are expecting the returns for their work. I mean that's fair if it's a slight surcharge, anything more than 10% is too much. 

But for the F&B sector or even bigger businesses I wonder the extra cost really get pass down to the workers cos for them this is their time where they see a boom in business for the entire year. Do they really need to charge extra cos they are seeing better business than usual or is it just an opportunity to chop carrot heads? Or is it just to cover cost for the cny rest days for other businesses?

Imo in some cases it is blatant overcharging in the name of festive season cos other public holidays there are no such surcharges. Ppl should not support the surcharges during such times just because it is norm for many years. 

Edited by Watwheels

Went to my regular barber yesterday. Price increased from 10 to 12.  Don't think it's just for the CNY period. 20% inflation!

I think we have lost it a while back.  Just using the same formula to tackle new issues doesnt work.  
sigh….

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 2/21/2024 at 9:47 AM, Volvobrick said:

Went to my regular barber yesterday. Price increased from 10 to 12.  Don't think it's just for the CNY period. 20% inflation!

can take it as permanent increase in the price liao....

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
On 2/21/2024 at 11:02 AM, Scion said:

can take it as permanent increase in the price liao....

actually hor, any increase is permanent

in spore, once up never come down … LOL

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

why can't they just put the price tag on the dish itself? hygiene? or harder to con pple? whahahahahahaha..

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

Supersonic
(edited)

now a lot chap chai peng stall got "red" and "green" flag kiap at the food plate to highlight it's a meat or vege option

but i still don't trust the guy standing at the cashier anyhoo punch punch ... $5.50, $6.50, $7.50, sometime hits $8 (must be fish) for my CCP lunch [mad] 

why can't they just put the price tag on the dish itself? hygiene? or harder to con pple? whahahahahahaha..

Edited by Wt_know
  • Haha! 4

On 2/22/2024 at 11:49 AM, Wt_know said:

now a lot chap chai peng stall got "red" and "green" flag kiap at the food plate to highlight it's a meat or vege option

but i still don't trust the guy standing at the cashier anyhoo punch punch ... $5.50, $6.50, $7.50, sometime hits $8 (must be fish) for my CCP lunch [mad] 

that's why I never eat cai png or nasi padang for many years liao.....i dun like being carrot...😁

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2