Inflation coming to hit us hard.

Watwheels

Supersonic
(edited)

$10M ... $20M ... $40M coffee shop ... jit dong jeng !

all bid sibei high ... stall rental no sky high no talk ... 

Edited by Wt_know
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged
On 1/18/2024 at 8:56 AM, 13177 said:

Cheap foods at eatery surely attract long long queue. My house there also has one cheap cai png stall, queue always long.

Same as Sengkang Square Kopitiam, there are two Cai Png stalls, the inner one always long Q, while the one nearest to the carpark entrance always no Q. Not long ago they have promo with big banners, only charged $3 odd (lower end) and suddenly the Q goes to this stall instead. But currently it's closed for reno.

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged
On 1/18/2024 at 3:07 PM, Dafansu said:

Same as Sengkang Square Kopitiam, there are two Cai Png stalls, the inner one always long Q, while the one nearest to the carpark entrance always no Q. Not long ago they have promo with big banners, only charged $3 odd (lower end) and suddenly the Q goes to this stall instead. But currently it's closed for reno.

i only makan/dabao there a couple of times

too expensive hawker food

On 1/18/2024 at 10:43 AM, Rayleigh said:

Last Sat, i was helping my wife to make love letter bicuit. It was back breaking sitting from 12 to 4pm. In total, about 450 love letters were rolled and the amount of sugar used was 800g (first time she disclosed to me). Hence one love letter is about 2 gram of sugar. I am now very conscious of the number of love letters i stuff into my mouth. 

Was reading this post in portrait mode...that first sentence rather kinky no? 😂

Screenshot_20240118_172431_com.huawei.browser.jpg

• Haha! 12

On 1/17/2024 at 1:54 PM, Didu said:

Some kopi outlets have up their set A price. Can we still afford?   😁

Which popular cafe chain offers the most value for money kaya toast set? We tried them all out

The humble kaya butter toast set that’s pretty much Singapore’s national breakfast. We remember a time when you could order a set for under S$5, but that’s mostly no longer the case now. 

In order to ensure as much consistency as possible and that we are not comparing heartland standards to the CBD, we visited all five cafe outlets only in the same Jurong area (Jurong Point/ Westgate/ Ng Teng Fong General Hospital). As an anonymous customer, we bought the most basic kaya butter toast set, which comes with two soft-boiled eggs and our choice of coffee or tea. We then grade how value-for-money the set is according to these criteria, with five stars being the most bang for the buck:

• Food and drink portions
  • Amount of kaya and butter given  
  • Taste

1. HEAVENLY WANG

Outlet: Ng Teng Fong General Hospital

Price: S$5.70

heavenly-wang.jpeg?itok=HGIB0q3c

Compared to the other four brands, Heavenly Wang is pretty lavish with its kaya. There’s enough of the gooey coconut egg jam that we can’t even see the toast peeking through, plus a reasonably chunky (by 2024 standards) pat of butter. Though evenly toasted, it’s a pity the bread (which appears to be healthier wholemeal bread probably ’cos we were in a hospital) was dry and bland, and the kaya too sweet for our liking. The eggs were unfortunately slightly watery, but we couldn’t finish our mug of milky tea, which was overly tannic. While Heavenly Wang’s commitment to giving customers generous portions is commendable, we hope that the quality will match its quantity.

Value for money rating: 3 out of 5 stars

2. KILLINEY

Outlet: Westgate

Price: S$5.80

killiney.jpeg?itok=ngIsXkau

We were not blown away by the portions, but the quality of Killiney’s nosh holds up here. The toast, despite being charred along some edges, boasted fab crispiness and flavour that made for a very enjoyable teatime snack dipped into the jammy-yolked eggs. So too the fragrant, rich kaya (we wish there was more of it) and not too stingy cold pat of butter. While our cup of te was a small one, the milky tea was thick and robust. For those who are comparing a cai png meal they can get for S$5.80, this will not be as filling for your tummy or value-for-money in that sense. But if you’re looking for a satisfying Nanyang-style kaya butter toast set, this hits the spot.

Value for money rating: 4 out of 5 stars

3. FUN TOAST

Outlet: Jurong Point

Price: S$5.90

fun-toast.jpeg?itok=UJhM3MPe

Fun Toast has apparently raised the price of its kaya butter toast set with eggs from S$5.30 to S$5.90, a whopping increase of 60 cents. The soft-boiled eggs were decent enough, though the bread, kaya and butter were nothing to shout about. While the toast was nicely crispy, it lacked the distinct, er, toastiness that makes eating it so enjoyable. We find the kaya here too sweet, with none of the egginess and coconutty aroma found in good kaya. Our cup of tea was also not particularly memorable. If you are looking for a quick breakfast, this is serviceable enough. But if we were sticking to a limited food budget, this might not be the place to splurge your coins.

Value for money rating: 2 out of 5 stars

4. TOAST BOX

Price: S$6.20

toast-box.jpeg?itok=OXHHL0CX

Toast Box has raised its price for the traditional kaya toast set from S$6 to S$6.20, a small increase. Out of the five cafes we tried in Jurong, Toast Box and Ya Kun Kaya Toast were the only brands to price their kaya butter toast sets above S$6. We don’t fancy the sweet, strangely dense toast here, which reminds us of something we could make with a supermarket loaf at home. Peeling it apart revealed a good amount of shiok brown kaya, along with a heavy-handed smear from what Toast Box calls, in a Facebook post, its “iconic butter mountain”. It doesn’t look or taste like pure butter to us, though there was a lot of it. We filled our tummy with the runny soft-boiled eggs instead, which were tasty, along with the nicely-brewed big cup of teh.

Value for money rating: 3 out of 5 stars

5. YA KUN KAYA TOAST

Price: S$6.30

ya-kun-kaya-toast.jpeg?itok=olCPaNLp

Ya Kun Kaya Toast raised eyebrows last December when it increased the price for its Set A with kaya butter toast, eggs and coffee/tea from S$5.60 to S$6.30. Compared to its counterparts, Ya Kun’s portions are puny, from the misshapen, almost compressed-looking toast to the atas-ly small cup of tea (our cracked eggs appeared to be largish). We are sure a part of the S$6.30 we paid goes towards the Ya Kun staff’s training with an elite samurai to slice their toast so thin. And also to crack our boiling hot soft-boiled eggs onto a plate so we don’t have to dirty our hands (a perk that none of the other four cafes offered). Convenience comes with a premium, we guess? 

The wafer-thin toast appeared to have a purpose, as it had the kind of delicate crispiness that was almost like a keropok, with a subtle nutty flavour from the competent toasting. It went well with the luscious kaya and melting butter that we wanted more of (there wasn't quite enough). The eggs had rich runny yolks and jiggly egg white that we could slurp up with a teaspoon without it oozing everywhere. While we don’t normally favour Ya Kun’s tea or coffee, we find this an overall shiok set that, despite the smaller portions, offers enough intangible satisfaction to make it worth our money and calorie count. But at S$6.30, we may have to cut down on the frequency of our visits and regard Ya Kun as an indulgence, rather than a staple.

Value for money rating: 4 out of 5 stars

https://cnalifestyle.channelnewsasia.com/dining/best-kaya-toast-set-singapore-383346

All these cmi la. Go Hainan story at jewel. 

• Shocked 1

Last Sat, i was helping my wife to make love letter bicuit. It was back breaking sitting from 12 to 4pm. In total, about 450 love letters were rolled and the amount of sugar used was 800g (first time she disclosed to me). Hence one love letter is about 2 gram of sugar. I am now very conscious of the number of love letters i stuff into my mouth. 

I've made brownie a few times and the recipe called for one full cup of sugar. Guess how much I put? Hint, wife say no nice. Lol.

• Haha! 2

On 1/18/2024 at 5:32 PM, mersaylee said:

Was reading this post in portrait mode...that first sentence rather kinky no? 😂

Screenshot_20240118_172431_com.huawei.browser.jpg

Lucky was wife. Could have helped mother/sister/neighbour..... 

• Haha! 2

Turbocharged

Love is always sweet :grin:

c9fcc37c42b8ac279b0b085e4a73d57b.gif

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 1/18/2024 at 3:07 PM, Dafansu said:

Two cai png stall in one eatery got business meh? Even the price not say ex.

Hypersonic
On 1/18/2024 at 10:57 AM, Starry said:

This is why I never buy CNY goodies and only occasionally eat one or two during CNY visits.

I grew up watching my relatives cook these stuff, (love letters, pineapple tarts, etc)  and the amount of sugar and butter is just crazy.

If normal days you don’t or seldom eat high sugar and butter stuff. During CNY eat once a year should be ok la, won’t hurt your health la.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)
On 1/5/2024 at 4:31 PM, mersaylee said:

I have a fren who works in CBD...he drives out almost everyday to eat out...any kpt or hc outside CBD he'll go...he says fuel, parking etc also never mind...so long food is good and cheaper comparatively...nett nett same same but a least he knows he'll enjoy the food 

If time permits, I took a MRT out. Senior citizen fare is cheaper too. The lunch crowd is also crazy 😆

Edited by Victor68
  • Praise 1

Supercharged
(edited)
On 1/18/2024 at 10:24 PM, 13177 said:

If normal days you don’t or seldom eat high sugar and butter stuff. During CNY eat once a year should be ok la, won’t hurt your health la.

haha, me not really a fan of sweet tarts, biscuits and pastries......so not really into indulging them during CNY period.

Bak kwa also no for me, at most 2-3 slices for the entire CNY period.  

I just eat caipng....and then go holiday....

😁

Edited by Starry

Supersonic
On 1/19/2024 at 10:45 AM, Starry said:

haha, me not really a fan of sweet tarts, biscuits and pastries......so not really into indulging them during CNY period.

Bak kwa also no for me, at most 2-3 slices for the entire CNY period.  

I just eat caipng....and then go holiday....

😁

How about those spicy & salty and crispy prawn roll. 

Not many ppl can resists that😂😂😂

Supercharged
(edited)
On 1/19/2024 at 10:59 AM, Beregond said:

How about those spicy & salty and crispy prawn roll. 

Not many ppl can resists that😂😂😂

Haha..not into it too bro. I used to love them in the past. The moment eat one, hard to stop....lol

Thesedays, I am  cutting down on hard and crispy stuff .....one is to protect teeth, second is to avoid sore throat just in case....😁

Edited by Starry
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1