Inflation coming to hit us hard.

Watwheels

Twincharged
1 hour ago, Volvobrick said:

Ready when Covid is eliminated. Timing just right! 

Not fair la... it's not just for covid vaccine for sure. 

This kinda plant take dam long one leh.

Once physically built,  there's still tonnes of qualifications,  certifications,  regulations,  licenses etc ... maybe worse than hospitals. 

Covid can always have another relative waiting 😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Turbocharged
(edited)
8 hours ago, Lala81 said:

i don't like the ActiveSG gyms. Basically lot of egos when it comes to the weights areas. 

The regulars act like its some sorta club. So if I'm into gym, 100% won't go all these places.

Very true. Totally insensitive that others need to use the equipment and they hog it for the whole session. No problems. After 20-30 minutes I will insert myself by asking to take turns [laugh] Or use less utilized gear that are just as effective, like kettlebells.

Anyway group using the equipment is not as bad as some people who set up the bar for his own use, do one lift, then take long rest, look at phone, talk to friend.

Edited by Sosaria
  • Haha! 4

Hypersonic
7 hours ago, Atonchia said:

Downsizing waste a lot more aluminium.

Not sure about that but for mfg ….. they can reduce cost by even 0.5% x many billion dollars turnover ….. it adds up to millions in profits extra to keep 

• Praise 2

Turbocharged

Not sure I mentioned before but one way to beat inflation or at least ride the wave of jacked up prices is to get on the bandwagon of offering goods / services. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

A salaried employee cannot easily ask for increased salary but if you diversify into creating other income streams, e.g. turn your hobby into a money making venture, teach tuition, sell some skills that people would pay for, you can also jack up prices to match inflation.

If you say inflation is already here, well, it will only get worse.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/may-day-rally-cost-living-economic-challenges-lee-hsien-loong-2658816

Singapore must prepare for economic challenges, Government doing 'all it can' to cushion impact: PM Lee

pm_lee_ntuc_rally.jpg?itok=iOFXXmFW

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong at the NTUC May Day Rally on May 1, 2022.

3 hours ago, BanCoe said:

Not sure about that but for mfg ….. they can reduce cost by even 0.5% x many billion dollars turnover ….. it adds up to millions in profits extra to keep 

It's consumer behaviour.

If we are used to drink 330ml, 

Downsizing it to 250ml seems healthier with portion control.

But can easily order 2x250ml. 

Say during a BBQ, can easily drink 3 X 330ml = 990ml

If a person drink 4 X 250ml.

Meaning the downsizing probably save 10% of material mass. If I drink 2 cans that is increase 80% material usage and manufacturing footprint. 

If drink 4 cans, possibly still increase 60% material mass.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
2 hours ago, Atonchia said:

It's consumer behaviour.

If we are used to drink 330ml, 

Downsizing it to 250ml seems healthier with portion control.

But can easily order 2x250ml. 

Say during a BBQ, can easily drink 3 X 330ml = 990ml

If a person drink 4 X 250ml.

Meaning the downsizing probably save 10% of material mass. If I drink 2 cans that is increase 80% material usage and manufacturing footprint. 

If drink 4 cans, possibly still increase 60% material mass.

If gonna drink 1 L might as well get a PET bottle 1.25l 🤣🤣……

mfg of late Kenna high sea freight and raw material charges ,like what used to be like USD400/- per container is now around USD1,500/- not counting hike in domestic trucking charges and also port charges ……. Haiz …… no end in sight 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

5 hours ago, BanCoe said:

If gonna drink 1 L might as well get a PET bottle 1.25l 🤣🤣……

mfg of late Kenna high sea freight and raw material charges ,like what used to be like USD400/- per container is now around USD1,500/- not counting hike in domestic trucking charges and also port charges ……. Haiz …… no end in sight 

BBQ usually put in ice boxes and easier to use canned version than PET bottle.😅

For a period of time shipping lines were bleeding. Especially those supersize one. Supply outstrip demand.

Then with Covid the demand increases, plus with custom and port delays.....more ships need to be on water....but still cannot meet global demand. Then prices possibly going to increase even more with more expensive crude oil.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
2 hours ago, Atonchia said:

BBQ usually put in ice boxes and easier to use canned version than PET bottle.😅

For a period of time shipping lines were bleeding. Especially those supersize one. Supply outstrip demand.

Then with Covid the demand increases, plus with custom and port delays.....more ships need to be on water....but still cannot meet global demand. Then prices possibly going to increase even more with more expensive crude oil.

Actually shipping lines had been bleeding agak agak before 2018 quite badly and many closed down or bought up by the bigger boys like CMA CGM , Maersk , Cosco , MSC just to name a few depending in the region you’re in and now left only few big boys so they are muscling in high profits and heavy shortage of containers and it’s hurting every one along the way , no one is spared , not forgetting some shipping lines have given 1 year bonus or more even ……

• Praise 3

46 minutes ago, BanCoe said:

Actually shipping lines had been bleeding agak agak before 2018 quite badly and many closed down or bought up by the bigger boys like CMA CGM , Maersk , Cosco , MSC just to name a few depending in the region you’re in and now left only few big boys so they are muscling in high profits and heavy shortage of containers and it’s hurting every one along the way , no one is spared , not forgetting some shipping lines have given 1 year bonus or more even ……

Time to sell NOL.  Wait, it has been sold. 😂

This is becoming a cartel business, simi alliances and whatnot.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

Supercharged

Just now bought 4 pieces of mini-size Soon Kueh for $5.20

Is that reasonable or expensive?

• Shocked 3

Hypersonic
1 hour ago, Starry said:

Must be popular and nice soon kueh? 😂

Turbocharged
On 5/1/2022 at 3:37 PM, Atonchia said:

I remember there's a neighbouring politician asking his citizen to fast daily to meet the high food cost and to save $$$.

When you are collecting $11k and dozes off in parliament, 1 meal suffice. When you are food delivery riding a bicycle, 3 meals maybe just enough. So, be a MP lah.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged

One of the things our generation has to contend with is supporting elderly. I have friends well into their 50s who have both parents and in-laws still well and kicking. In fact it's not rare, and with good medical care and intervention most of us will encounter similar. Our parents time, in their 50s usually their parents have departed and they focus on raising kids. So if your parents/in-laws are the demanding type and demand extra support, while your kids need support for studies, marriage, etc... then this inflation trend will really stretch you thin. Take care of yourselves too.

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

When you are collecting $11k and dozes off in parliament, 1 meal suffice. When you are food delivery riding a bicycle, 3 meals maybe just enough. So, be a MP lah.

I think that neighbouring politician was higher rank than MP and no longer in power🤣

• Haha! 1

4 hours ago, Starry said:

Last week I went to buy a box of 4 X Ang Ku Kueh and 2 x Gao Teng Kueh at a hawker centre. 

Also $5+ 

I paid then went to another stall to pack something else.

Then I realised, the price has risen quite a bit.😅

• Shocked 1

17 minutes ago, Karoon said:

One of the things our generation has to contend with is supporting elderly. I have friends well into their 50s who have both parents and in-laws still well and kicking. In fact it's not rare, and with good medical care and intervention most of us will encounter similar. Our parents time, in their 50s usually their parents have departed and they focus on raising kids. So if your parents/in-laws are the demanding type and demand extra support, while your kids need support for studies, marriage, etc... then this inflation trend will really stretch you thin. Take care of yourselves too.

Yes, just medical insurance is 5-digit per year for my parents and i don't have a lot of siblings to share the cost with.

Better pray Fed can beat this inflationary trend (after printing so much for so long) coz MAS can't do much for you and me, we have surrendered our interest rate policy (not that it will be effective anyway).  At current level of inflation (i think it is more than 10%), everything from minimum sum, COE and cai png will be f**king up our retirement plan.  Better an ass kicking recession?  😂😂😂

• Praise 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Karoon said:

Some in this group take care if 4 generations - their parents/in-law, themselves, their kids and even their grand kids! 

Edited by Volvobrick
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1