Inflation coming to hit us hard.

Watwheels

18 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

the coffeeshop at my parents, the lady boss drives S class. always sit in the car and read newspaper and she owns more than half the stalls there... 

It's good that you think everything is pure economics... but yeah, not everyone practice that. like i mentioned, they can just charge higher when there is no competition around. its business but i pity alot of the old folks there who frequent the coffeeshop. 

Well, then she's lucky that she managed to find a coffeeshop that has enough customer base/physical moat in terms of location to support such an endeavour.
And her balance of charging enough so that the stalls don't just outright cancel their tenancy or are turned off not to start in the first place.

Who don't want to be a landlord? I also want to be lol.

But not every coffeeshop will be raking in the money. There's one coffeeshop in yishun near the Yishun Park. Two master tenants died over several years. Only finally a 3rd master tenant managed to change it to a halal dinner/supper muslim stall coffeshop.

Some of the many older estates neighbourhood centers in AMK whereby entire rows of shops are just shuttered up. Or 1 shop is open out of 5.
Where i used to stay, there are several other coffeeshops with shuttered stalls or only half the stalls operating in new BTOs. And some of them are run by experienced coffeeshop owners like Broadway etc.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Some people “forget” that while they borrow a million from the bank over 30yrs, they dont exactly pay back only a million but easily closer to two million or more due to the interest charged over the years

in addition interest is front loaded onto the mortgage instalments meaning that in the early years, your monthly instalment goes a lot more into servicing the interest than repaying the principal itself.  

• Praise 6

Turbocharged

my increment this year only 2.7%

definitely cannot beat inflation

so effectively i'm having a paycut 😆

• Haha! 3

3 minutes ago, Scion said:

At least go increment. Really not bad. Cherish it

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Scion said:

With an ongoing pandemic then, your boss doesn't even have to give you an increment.

Be grateful to have 2.7%

🤭

29 minutes ago, Scion said:

How much increment maybe still not the main factor, more importanly is how much is your salary. If your salary is high, maybe still can able to absorb a bit on the inflation impact? 😅

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

Who don't want to be a landlord? I also want to be lol But not every coffeeshop will be raking in the money. There's one coffeeshop in yishun near the Yishun Park. Two master tenants died over several years. Only finally a 3rd master tenant managed to change it to a halal dinner/supper muslim stall coffeshop.

ya 

coffeeshop is a business , they are there to make money. when they lost money and shut down, are we going to give money to help them?

there are so many coffeeshop and eatery around, many are less then 100m from each other. alot of them are just surviving.

there are still 3 - 3.5 noodle around my area if i willing to walk 5 -10 mins more. 

8 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Other than Daiso rising their prices, food prices are hitting its highest even when not considering the Russia-Ukraine war is disrupting food and fuel prices. Inflation are estimated to hit 2.5% to 3.5% by the 3rd quarter of 2022. Even Indonesia has stop exporting palm oil to keep for their domestic use. We will see prices of cooking oil, shampoo/soap, snacks like chocolate rise. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/hawkers-say-they-have-raise-prices-survive-rising-cost-ingredients-hits-hard-2653076

If hawkers are affected so will the rest of the F&B establishment. Eating at a cafe or restaurant will set your bill higher as they are struggling not only with operational cost (power/gas bills), food/ingredient prices but also manpower issues. 

Our pay isnt rising enough to cope with this inflation. Things like medical insurance are rising annually. Bills like power and water have risen significantly over the past couple of years and it is going to rise some more. Knnbccb.

No choice, need to raise interest.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

ya loh ya loh.. I just went to buy milk and eggs... wah din know now 10 eggs cost $3.25.. think must start to ration liao loh.. once day eat egg yolk.. one day eat egg white..

btw why did eggs price raise so much?? the chicken got minimum wage now huh?? whahahahahahahaha..

Oh wow, that's a good idea.

• Haha! 1

Tmr i go Pasir Ris park tabao some hens back.. hope the Cocks are ok with it! whahahahahhaa..

Bishan got more.....................hens :grin:

Tmr i go Pasir Ris park tabao some hens back.. hope the Cocks are ok with it! whahahahahhaa..

Please kidnap the entire ayam herd hor...dont break up their family...unless it's a little three hen... 😁

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

Downgrade from S class to C class a bit too much. Maybe the lady boss would degrade to E class first. Lol.

How come sounds like boob sizes :secret-laugh:

• Haha! 4

1 hour ago, Scion said:

1 hour ago, Throttle2 said:

At least go increment. Really not bad. Cherish it

Yeah, I don't have :XD:

I had a customer ask me this morning why I had raised my price two weeks ago by 13% on an item I offered.... since OCTOBER!!

I had to ask if that was a serious question given the coffee at my local hawker already up 20% and my other product up 25-30%.....so I told them buy, because cheap already.

So, we see.

I also said, will get worse so buy before I make even more expensive 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

my son borrow $1.2k from me to pay for the annual fee for the gym, cos they going to increase the fee next month.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 5

47 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

my son borrow $1.2k from me to pay for the annual fee for the gym, cos they going to increase the fee next month.

No fixed term of repayment?
🤭

This article explains perfectly the economics driving cost of living increase: lack of competition

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/apr/29/uncompetitive-markets-cost-of-living-competition-prices

Completely applicable to Sg too, except we got none of the tools mentioned to combat lack of competition lol

Edited by yishunite

5 hours ago, Jman888 said:

Tell him go downstairs exercise corner lor..

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 7