Inflation coming to hit us hard.

Watwheels

1 hour ago, Stratovarius said:

At the coffeeshop near my parents

Fishsoup beehoon from 5 to 6 dollars. 6 dollars in a coffeeshop! $6! tmd

Chinese la mian from 5 to 6 dollars! 6 dollars for a la mian in coffeeshop!

i told my parents i'm blacklisting the coffeeshop liao. 

Everywhere price go up, you can't blacklist all lah.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

4 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Other than Daiso rising their prices, food prices are hitting its highest even when not considering the Russia-Ukraine war is disrupting food and fuel prices. Inflation are estimated to hit 2.5% to 3.5% by the 3rd quarter of 2022. Even Indonesia has stop exporting palm oil to keep for their domestic use. We will see prices of cooking oil, shampoo/soap, snacks like chocolate rise. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/hawkers-say-they-have-raise-prices-survive-rising-cost-ingredients-hits-hard-2653076

If hawkers are affected so will the rest of the F&B establishment. Eating at a cafe or restaurant will set your bill higher as they are struggling not only with operational cost (power/gas bills), food/ingredient prices but also manpower issues. 

Our pay isnt rising enough to cope with this inflation. Things like medical insurance are rising annually. Bills like power and water have risen significantly over the past couple of years and it is going to rise some more. Knnbccb.

GLSGL

2 hours ago, Inlinefour said:

Braised duck rice $3.80 became $4.50 

Pohpian $1.50 become $2.50 

Fish soup $6 become $7

Even FL $150 to $250 😬😬😬 

Wah piang eh... Simi LC also increased except wages 🙊🙉🙈

Who say no increase, i heard some people bonus big big, 7 digit. You guess who leh

Edited by Throttle2
  • Haha! 1

If you are poor and in debt like me inflation is a good thing. A very good thing.

I studies economics so I know these things.

I borrowed millions and millions to buy my home and start my two business.

The paradise spa boutique and the good quality used cars at affordable prices.

When I finished paying the banks back in about 30 year every 1 million I borrow will be only worth about $400k.

I save $600k

Its like if you borrowed $1 million 30 years ago to buy a condo and only finished paying it off today.

Well your million dollar condo will be worth more than a million today and you only paid the bank $400k.

:D

Now the reverse is true

If you are one of those rich fellas with a million dollars in the bank today.

By the time inflation get thru in 30 years your million will only buy you $400k or less.

• Haha! 3

Same with borrowing from the bank to buy an affordable good quality used car from jamesc.

Your 50k car you bought when COE was 40k is worth more than 50k today when COE is 100k.

This weekend got special so come on down or miss out.

YOLO

Edited by Jamesc
  • Haha! 2

Supercharged
1 hour ago, 13177 said:

Even not eat out and eat at home also not cheap now, due to food ingredients price also went up a lot.

Not only that. When cook at home, don't forget the increase in utility bills!

• Praise 1

When inflation is raging

if you don't spend that $1 today

Next time it will only be worth 50 cents.

So now you know how inflation works

and it only affects rich people with lots of cash

and its good for poor people in debt

then buy buy buy bye bye.

• Haha! 1

27 minutes ago, Ingenius said:

I have a friend who runs a chain of ten eateries mostly in CBD area. He told me that each outlets turnover per day used to be 10k or more, until COVID hit , it became 5 outlets and the turnover of 3k per day. Now it has returned to the usual daily turnover. His rental is about 20k monthly. With multiple outlets, he enjoys economy of scale, e.g. you only need one HR staff, one accountant, for multiple outlets, while the profit multiplies. He told me that the challenge he face is mainly unable to get workers, as it is a unglamorous and physical job. However, it remains a profitable business.  I also know of another two acquaintances who opened ice-cream shop (only breakeven) and another opens Japanese ramen shop (earning profit).

Ah but if 1 outlet don't make it, that's high 5-6 digits of losses (almost certainly 6 digits) from that one outlet alone. 
How many months of accumulated turnover u would need to make it back?
That's why towkay is high risk, high reward.

Haha breakeven depends on how much you account for your own labour/effort. Some people count it as so, some people discount their own effort/labour.

• Praise 2

Wifey said its ok we can just eat boiled white rice with 2 fried eggs and thick black sauce like we did when we first got married and had no money.

I said have you seen the price of eggs?

I think we will have to do with just one fried egg each.

• Haha! 3

30 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Who say no increase, i heard some people bonus big big, 7 digit. You guess who leh

🤫🤫🤫🤐🤐🤐

6 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Wifey said its ok we can just eat boiled white rice with 2 fried eggs and thick black sauce like we did when we first got married and had no money.

Pigeon eggs FOC 🤫🤫🤫

• Haha! 1

32 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Expensive then don't eat lor.

It's liddat one lah.
Ingredient cost so high now. Rentals were on hold during Covid, now going to go up.
You go everywhere, u see people trying to hire stall assistants/staff. Every 2-3 stalls/F&B outlet, u find recruitment posters/ads. 

Prepared food in Singapore is really cheap. Without malaysians, will be really like other developed countries.

Last time people uneducated, have to become hawker. Now ... the average grab delivery person earn more than hawker. And u need almost zero education for the latter.

if its genuine reason then i have no qualms about it. but some stall owners are just greedy. A similar foodcourt stall here my house the fish beehoon is 5.5 before the 10% dc from the kpt card. how many poor old people can afford a meal of at least 6 dollars? The one near my parents is the only coffeeshop in the estate and they probably think because of that they can charge higher. there is another stall near my house selling "upmarket" Japanese food. 9 dollars for a plain udon soup and 13 dollars with 2 pcs of fish cake and an egg. no surprise that they closed down within a year. 

• Praise 2

9 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

When inflation is raging

if you don't spend that $1 today

Next time it will only be worth 50 cents.

So now you know how inflation works

and it only affects rich people with lots of cash

and its good for poor people in debt

then buy buy buy bye bye.

No wonder snakey queues at daiso outlets...all want to stretch that one dollah...😁

• Haha! 3

8 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

To combat inflation...eat the rice n stare at the raw egg...😁

• Haha! 3

So this is what the lich people eat.

Char siew and roast pork!

And this is what wifey and I eat

image.png.c91a8d1500c9cb8265b18dc122c0f4e4.png

1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

Liddat 4.80...thinnest slices one can find on this soil...my last time liao no more lust for this nearest stall... 😅

IMG_20220425_130145.jpg

• Haha! 3

2 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

No wonder snakey queues at daiso outlets...all want to stretch that one dollah...😁

Faster go before everything goes up

by at least 14 cents and that's only for the cheapest products.

5 minutes ago, mersaylee said: