Inflation coming to hit us hard.

Watwheels

Liddat 4.80...thinnest slices one can find on this soil...my last time liao no more lust for this nearest stall... 😅

IMG_20220425_130145.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Yeshe said:

Knn, my area hawker centre fish soup price up from $4 to $5. That's 25% increase... Simi 3% 🤔

At the coffeeshop near my parents

Fishsoup beehoon from 5 to 6 dollars. 6 dollars in a coffeeshop! $6! tmd

Chinese la mian from 5 to 6 dollars! 6 dollars for a la mian in coffeeshop!

i told my parents i'm blacklisting the coffeeshop liao. 

• Haha! 3

2 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Liddat 4.80...thinnest slices one can find on this soil...my last time liao no more lust for this nearest stall... 😅

IMG_20220425_130145.jpg

at least the zhup quite generous. lol. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 2

10 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

IMG_20220425_130145.jpg

Their knife skills must be very good, can slice until so thin? Lol.

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 3

20 minutes ago, Mustank said:

🤪 Heng I don’t eat out 🤪

save a lot of money :XD:

Even not eat out and eat at home also not cheap now, due to food ingredients price also went up a lot.

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Their knife skills must be very good, can slice until so thin? Lol.

not slice lah, CHOP is a more apt word....lol

11 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Even not eat out and eat at home also not cheap now, due to food ingredients price also went up a lot.

Those Chee Cheong fun a pack of 10 slices used to cost $3.20 at tiong Bahru market end 2021. Now priced at $3.90.  

36 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

IMG_20220425_130145.jpg

I actually prefer thinly sliced meat, old man jaw no strength to chew [laugh]

• Haha! 4

3 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Other than Daiso rising their prices, food prices are hitting its highest even when not considering the Russia-Ukraine war is disrupting food and fuel prices. Inflation are estimated to hit 2.5% to 3.5% by the 3rd quarter of 2022. Even Indonesia has stop exporting palm oil to keep for their domestic use. We will see prices of cooking oil, shampoo/soap, snacks like chocolate rise. 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/singapore/hawkers-say-they-have-raise-prices-survive-rising-cost-ingredients-hits-hard-2653076

If hawkers are affected so will the rest of the F&B establishment. Eating at a cafe or restaurant will set your bill higher as they are struggling not only with operational cost (power/gas bills), food/ingredient prices but also manpower issues. 

Our pay isnt rising enough to cope with this inflation. Things like medical insurance are rising annually. Bills like power and water have risen significantly over the past couple of years and it is going to rise some more. Knnbccb.

While prices is rising, some of this will translate to higher profit for businesses, and hopefully it will translate to higher wages for employees. Wage increase is only possible if businesses profit has increased.  So it is not all a bad thing. 

Edited by Ingenius
  • Praise 2

I don't mind paying 10 cents more for a kopi or $1 more for a fish head beehoon.

It's the 100k COE I don't like.

:D

• Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

I actually prefer thinly sliced meat, old man jaw no strength to chew [laugh]

That one was thin and little slices of meat and one slice of cucumber for 4.80 😅

Edited by mersaylee

49 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

IMG_20220425_130145.jpg

刀功了得😆😆😆😆

50 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

At the coffeeshop near my parents

Fishsoup beehoon from 5 to 6 dollars. 6 dollars in a coffeeshop! $6! tmd

Chinese la mian from 5 to 6 dollars! 6 dollars for a la mian in coffeeshop!

i told my parents i'm blacklisting the coffeeshop liao. 

Expensive then don't eat lor.

It's liddat one lah.
Ingredient cost so high now. Rentals were on hold during Covid, now going to go up.
You go everywhere, u see people trying to hire stall assistants/staff. Every 2-3 stalls/F&B outlet, u find recruitment posters/ads. 

Prepared food in Singapore is really cheap. Without malaysians, will be really like other developed countries.

Last time people uneducated, have to become hawker. Now ... the average grab delivery person earn more than hawker. And u need almost zero education for the latter.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

If u follow new hawkers and f&b outlets, u realise how many hawkers stop cos its simply not worth it to operate. 

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

If u follow new hawkers and f&b outlets, u realise how many hawkers stop cos its simply not worth it to operate. 

I have a friend who runs a chain of ten eateries mostly in CBD area. He told me that each outlets turnover per day used to be 10k or more, until COVID hit , it became 5 outlets and the turnover of 3k per day. Now it has returned to the usual daily turnover. His rental is about 20k monthly. With multiple outlets, he enjoys economy of scale, e.g. you only need one HR staff, one accountant, for multiple outlets, while the profit multiplies. He told me that the challenge he face is mainly unable to get workers, as it is a unglamorous and physical job. However, it remains a profitable business.  I also know of another two acquaintances who opened ice-cream shop (only breakeven) and another opens Japanese ramen shop (earning profit).

Edited by Ingenius
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1