Is Standalone GPS obsoleting?

Chuapcd

I was looking at the various brands and realised not many new models available now for standalone GPS for cars.......Is standalone GPS obsolete? I though while we can use our mobile phone, this standalone GPS is still quite useful.....If you go to Garmin website, most models are no longer selling.....

↡ Advertisement

Supercharged

While I still prefer to use the standalone Garmin while driving.. I think after my current Garmin spoils then probably will switch to using mobile phone liao..

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Using Waze or Goggle map will have live update on traffic situation.

Does stand alone GPS do that? I know donkey years ago don't have.

• Praise 9

Standalone GPS need to constantly download the latest map of the country of interest into a PC and then transfer over to GPS unit. I stop using it years ago when I realised the superiority of google map. For google map, can download area of interest to use it without data plan i.e. standalone mode.

• Praise 1

My previous Garmin was excellent when I needed to search for a location. In contrast, my current built-in GPS is impossible to search for anything and could only operate with postal codes. Nevertheless, when I missed a turn, it will recalculate a new route within 2 seconds, while my old Garmin would take minutes. With a mobile phone I could search for postal codes or even use directions in google maps etc. I also needed to update my maps in the GPS periodically. Another device replaced by the mobile phone, which can also show traffic conditions. Having said that, I am still using a GPS as the screen is larger, centrally mounted and easier to react to quickly.

Apple carplay,  apple map or Google map,  no stand alone gps has a bigger screen than the head unit in the car, and no need to suck anything to the windscreen. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

Apple carplay,  apple map or Google map,  no stand alone gps has a bigger screen than the head unit in the car, and no need to suck anything to the windscreen. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto uses headunit screen plus car audio system (for instructions). It is the best.

• Praise 11

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, Chuapcd said:

I was looking at the various brands and realised not many new models available now for standalone GPS for cars.......Is standalone GPS obsolete? I though while we can use our mobile phone, this standalone GPS is still quite useful.....If you go to Garmin website, most models are no longer selling.....

I still have my Garmin on dashboard, just updated the map yesterday. I've checked with Garmin about 2 years back, they not bringing in car GPS anymore though other countries are still selling. Even those malsing, malfreemap forums are quiet now, not much discussions anymore. 

Now mainly on Waze easy and fast to lock-on location due to availability of data network and base stations, unlike stand-alone GPS will need some time to detect the satellite. My Garmin is more for standby for overseas Malaysia trip in case I do not have data and can't route via Waze from my phone, rarely use anymore. 

If you want stand-alone GPS, think can only consider Marbella. Likely will be the end of such devices at least in SG in the next few years. 

Edited by Dafansu
  • Praise 7

4 minutes ago, Dafansu said:

I still have my Garmin on dashboard, just updated the map yesterday. I've checked with Garmin about 2 years back, they not bringing in car GPS anymore though other countries are still selling. Even those malsing, malfreemap forums are quiet now, not much discussions anymore. 

Now mainly on Waze easy and fast to lock-on location due to availability of data network and base stations, unlike stand-alone GPS will need some time to detect the satellite. My Garmin is more for standby for overseas Malaysia trip in case I do not have data and can't route via Waze from my phone, rarely use anymore. 

If you want stand-alone GPS, think can only consider Marbella. Likely will be the end of such devices at least in SG in the next few years. 

On my phone, I have map.me as backup.

Turbocharged

the last time I use a standalone GPS was in USA in '19. It acted as a backup and was useful in some remote parts with spotty network connection, otherwise, carplay in the car was much more useful.

• Praise 2

Supersonic

How does a standalone GPS even start to compare w Google maps or Waze?

It's like trying to compare a 2G Nokia to a 5G iPhone 13....lol

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 7

10 minutes ago, Soya said:

How does a standalone GPS even start to compare w Google maps or Waze?

It's like trying to compare a 2G Nokia to a 5G iPhone 13....lol

2G Nokia cannot use anymore.

No more Analog Network.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic
7 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

2G Nokia cannot use anymore.

No more Analog Network.

Ermmm.....ya 

• Haha! 1

Dear mobile phone has killed off so many obsolete devices…  and still has more names to take……more powerful than video who killed the radio star…. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1