VEP for entering Malaysia

Hammerhammer

On 9/25/2024 at 4:40 PM, AndrewLee72 said:

OK I just booked November KSL 2 night stay haha! Hope this VEP gets postpone till further notice.

Book pirate Hellfire taxi to go in lor....

I meant Vellfire.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2

(edited)
On 9/25/2024 at 5:37 PM, Philipkee said:

I still don’t get it.  Cos my understanding is Malaysian cars don’t need a VEP.  Maybe if they wanna cross border then maybe but even then it’s only to Singapore 

So I can just steal the Singapore car and remove the sticker and then just change the licence plate to a Malaysian one.  Are the road tax stickers for Malaysia easily transferrable?  But even if not, it’s easy to transfer them seeing how they also can transfer the VEP sticker from the headlamp to the windscreen.

I think our scrapped cars are being smuggled across the border... basically, when our cars are scrapped, they end up in the scrapyard... before the car is crushed, it can be re-exported overseas... I suppose there is demand for these cars in the past cos we scrapped our cars only at 3-5 years old... so when the cars are driven across the border, the Malaysian side won't know that these cars are already scrapped... they'll have to assume that these cars are bonafide... but if the cars didn't have the VEP tag, it would immediately suspicious if the scrapped car owner de-registered and tore off the tag... if it did, it would be allowed to pass through... when the car didn't leave Malaysia after a while, the system would flag that car, and then it would be known that the car was not valid... how they're going to find the car I don't know... how the Malaysian side think they can identify these cars without access to our LTA database and stop them at the border I don't know... I don't suppose that these cloned cars are sold openly, so there's no way the authorities have access to check the car's credentials... it would be obviously after the fact that the authorities in Malaysia can tell that these are cloned cars - I mean they can decide between 2 cars with identical credentials which one is the genuine one... but how to prevent the initial supply, I'm stumped...

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 5

(edited)

The point is that how many Singaporean car owners when trading in their old car for a new one would actually bother to de-register their VEP tag when it's so incredibly difficult to even do so? And given that these are many secondhand car owners asking for de-registrations cos  if previous owner didn't do so... which means that if there's a syndicate specializing in gaming the VEP system, it doesn't seem so hard to do so since JPJ now entertains secondhand car owners doing direct de-registration of their cars... anyone with the scrapped cars can easily do the same and apply for a fresh tag... the Malaysian side would be none the wiser as to whether the car is really scrapped or not in Singapore without direct access to the LTA database...

Theoretically these cars don't even need the physical tag cos the confirmation email  gat you've applied is enough to allow you to cross the border... and these cars only need that one chance to cross the border... it will end up with JPJ side having lots of ghost applications...

Edited by teomingern
  • Praise 2

On 9/25/2024 at 7:49 PM, teomingern said:

I think our scrapped cars are being smuggled across the border... basically, when our cars are scrapped, they end up in the scrapyard... before the car is crushed, it can be re-exported overseas... I suppose there is demand for these cars in the past cos we scrapped our cars only at 3-5 years old... so when the cars are driven across the border, the Malaysian side won't know that these cars are already scrapped... they'll have to assume that these cars are bonafide... but if the cars didn't have the VEP tag, it would immediately suspicious if the scrapped car owner de-registered and tore off the tag... if it did, it would be allowed to pass through... when the car didn't leave Malaysia after a while, the system would flag that car, and then it would be known that the car was not valid... how they're going to find the car I don't know... how the Malaysian side think they can identify these cars without access to our LTA database and stop them at the border I don't know... I don't suppose that these cloned cars are sold openly, so there's no way the authorities have access to check the car's credentials... it would be obviously after the fact that the authorities in Malaysia can tell that these are cloned cars - I mean they can decide between 2 cars with identical credentials which one is the genuine one... but how to prevent the initial supply, I'm stumped...

Thanks

I really don’t know how to explain to him

• Haha! 4

Hypersonic
On 9/25/2024 at 4:40 PM, AndrewLee72 said:

OK I just booked November KSL 2 night stay haha! Hope this VEP gets postpone till further notice.

Have you registered?

If not later MY no u turn, you come here and KNN JPJ, might kena KNN back. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

But even no U turn, no register, there is still bus, trains and grab. ^_^[laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 3

Hypersonic
On 9/25/2024 at 5:44 PM, Tkseah said:

So how u plan to go there?

Bus, train, private transportation, many many ways other than driving. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

Twincharged
On 9/25/2024 at 7:53 PM, teomingern said:

The point is that how many Singaporean car owners when trading in their old car for a new one would actually bother to de-register their VEP tag when it's so incredibly difficult to even do so? And given that these are many secondhand car owners asking for de-registrations cos  if previous owner didn't do so... which means that if there's a syndicate specializing in gaming the VEP system, it doesn't seem so hard to do so since JPJ now entertains secondhand car owners doing direct de-registration of their cars... anyone with the scrapped cars can easily do the same and apply for a fresh tag... the Malaysian side would be none the wiser as to whether the car is really scrapped or not in Singapore without direct access to the LTA database...

Theoretically these cars don't even need the physical tag cos the confirmation email  gat you've applied is enough to allow you to cross the border... and these cars only need that one chance to cross the border... it will end up with JPJ side having lots of ghost applications...

Aiyah… you exposed everything… looks like they are going to revamp the system again, since the current one has so many flaws…. 
time for them to look for a new vendor…. 😂

• Haha! 2

(edited)
On 9/25/2024 at 8:32 PM, Tianmo said:

Bus, train, private transportation, many many ways other than driving. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Imagine the invest much more in

building the RTS......

Makes more sense to leverage the usage right? To reach break even point asap..... 

But 

But 

But

Timing and launch can't really match....

2 years apart 

Edited by Atonchia
  • Haha! 2

After you registered and surrendered your details, they may be able to trace the cloned car to you.  If you are a regular supplier of such cars to MY, they will find you as there will be a pattern.I presume they will record your vehicle entry and tag it to your entry (with your passport record tied together)?  I don't know. It is a question.

Now they don't even know how many cars belonging to who enter and leave the country and how many vehicles overstayed forever. 

But VEP was devised when this was not that serious an issue but primarily to get Singaporeans to pay up for offences (unofficially, some say to create project money for cronies). 😂

• Praise 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

On 9/25/2024 at 8:55 PM, Apple-Tree said:

Oh ya ........ CNA bundle all the old news sia.

Then hor, I saw a 2020 news ...... Malaysia then said there are 230k SG Car but ONLY 60K got VEP wor.

So..... it is not 100+K leh ....... it is more like 200+K SG Car wor......

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/asia/malaysia-waive-rm20-road-charge-singapore-registered-vehicles-2591246

Thanks for sharing the article. 

So Anthony Loke thinks he can rollout VEP with 60k (existing) + 110k (new and projected) = 170k registered.  So what happened to the remaining 60k? PHV? 

• Haha! 3

I mean, all they have to do is cross check with LTA. Once a car is deregistered here it is no longer in the system, so Malaysia side can just ask LTA whether this car number is valid or not. If not valid then flag up.

On 9/25/2024 at 11:32 PM, Voodooman said:

So Anthony Loke thinks he can rollout VEP with 60k (existing) + 110k (new and projected) = 170k registered.  So what happened to the remaining 60k? PHV? 

Ah Loke asking,"What's PHV?"

Phuture Happy Vehicle?

Phuture Humping Vehicle?

Private Hellish Vehicle?

• Haha! 3

On 9/25/2024 at 11:09 PM, Voodooman said:

After you registered and surrendered your details, they may be able to trace the cloned car to you.  If you are a regular supplier of such cars to MY, they will find you as there will be a pattern.I presume they will record your vehicle entry and tag it to your entry (with your passport record tied together)?  I don't know. It is a question.

Now they don't even know how many cars belonging to who enter and leave the country and how many vehicles overstayed forever. 

But VEP was devised when this was not that serious an issue but primarily to get Singaporeans to pay up for offences (unofficially, some say to create project money for cronies). 😂

Unlike the last round, this time they want our NRIC lor, got address one hor.

Then hor, for example hor, I bought a 2nd Hand car, got VEP sticker, I go JB drive at 200km/h.  Then then, the speed ticket goto who ah ? 

That why, I will deregister the VEP when I sell my car lor.

Then, any offence, maybe I got 10 ticket liao, they now know where to find me liao, ask me to report to JPJ for Kopi ....... but the offence date is AFTER I sold me car leh ..... so after 3 days of interview, it is all sort out, I get a 50% off ALL the fines ......it is a great deal. Then hor, they also kind to remind me to dereg VEP hor, to avoid any misunderstanding lor

Then, all road block there, they will be busy scanning the RFID, clone SG car plate can be screen out ...... whether correctly scan or not is another story.

Anyway, my ride very unlikely to be cloned because number plate is soon soon and my car itself, don't think people want to steal also ...... so ....nice nice.

Anyway again, very likely I will dereg then sell car to avoid the mess or renew COE .....ya .... also nice nice....

Hmmmm........ renew COE until 2037, then retire driving and take illegal taxi to JB - Cheap, Good, Spacious too ......hmmmm....nice nice too....

Anyway again again, all these years, never heard of them coming to SG to catch people, so ....... don't worry, let carry on with the Decarboniaztion at NSH ...... ya .....like that lor

• Haha! 2

On 9/25/2024 at 11:32 PM, Voodooman said:

I am actually quite shocked that Loke has been the transport minister since 2018 wor ...... they change garment a few times liao wor.  So, I think this time very unlikely to U-Turn ba ?? 

If U turn, I count as Strike 3 liao, remember long long ago that finger print scanning fiasco ...... got driver said stuck the causeway for 12 hour.... izzit.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Loke

2nd term liao wor .....

Twincharged
On 9/25/2024 at 11:38 PM, Benarsenal said:

I mean, all they have to do is cross check with LTA. Once a car is deregistered here it is no longer in the system, so Malaysia side can just ask LTA whether this car number is valid or not. If not valid then flag up.

Ask? If I’m LTA, why should I give a rats ass when they ask. Even inter stat board, ministry already so slow, still got time to entertain foreign bodies? 😂

• Haha! 1

On 9/25/2024 at 11:38 PM, Benarsenal said:

These cars are out of LTA system. It went into Msia being spare parts.

Cross check also useless

• Praise 1

On 9/25/2024 at 11:09 PM, Voodooman said:

Still doesn't work... Singaporeans rent and borrow cars to drive around in Malaysia... the car doesn't belong to you but you're still authorized to drive it... but how would the authorities know?

They'll just get mules to drive in these cars, just going in once a week will do... they can easily 'export' a fair number of cars... some of these are sold to buyers in Malaysia but others are used for crime...

As you say, the authorities can track only if they tie car registration with the VEP details to the passport of driver on entry to Malaysia; then on exit, the driver is picked up cos he exits without the car... that would require considerably backend cooperation between JPJ & Customs & Immigration plus Police... of course that's their internal affairs but you still don't stop the cars going in actually... stopping the person is after the fact... and some of these people may use false identities if they're a syndicate...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1