VEP for entering Malaysia

Hammerhammer

On 6/12/2024 at 4:25 PM, inlinesix said:

smart tag is not on its way out.  It is still available on Shopee Malaysia.

Most Malaysian don't stick smart tag (similar principle to not to keep bags visible in the car) on the windscreen.

When car approach gantry, just stick smart tag on windscreen.  Gantry will open.

I don't know... I read somewhere I thought that there's consideration to EOL Smart Tag as it's more troublesome to maintain... but I may be completely wrong... anyway, this trip to KL & Cameron Highlands, I notice the toll booths I passed through has credit card payment option too... that's even better than having to use any TnG card... in fact this should be the default option at the immigration to pay the road charge... simi VEP rubbish...

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic
On 6/12/2024 at 7:07 PM, teomingern said:

I don't know... I read somewhere I thought that there's consideration to EOL Smart Tag as it's more troublesome to maintain... but I may be completely wrong... anyway, this trip to KL & Cameron Highlands, I notice the toll booths I passed through has credit card payment option too... that's even better than having to use any TnG card... in fact this should be the default option at the immigration to pay the road charge... simi VEP rubbish...

TnG EOL smart tag.  But smart tag producer still selling it.

So not exactly EOL. Still can get it from Shopee Malaysia.

Turbocharged
On 6/12/2024 at 7:07 PM, teomingern said:

yup they ending smart tag, can read here

https://paultan.org/2022/01/25/use-of-touch-n-go-for-toll-payments-to-end-by-2025-smarttag-to-also-be-phased-out-works-ministry/

• Praise 2

On 6/12/2024 at 7:19 PM, inlinesix said:

TnG EOL smart tag.  But smart tag producer still selling it.

So not exactly EOL. Still can get it from Shopee Malaysia.

Cos everyone knows when they say EOL it's not yet the true end... surely delay and delay by don't know how many years lar... they'll get there eventually but who knows how long it takes...

• Haha! 1

Supersonic
On 6/12/2024 at 8:30 PM, teomingern said:

Cos everyone knows when they say EOL it's not yet the true end... surely delay and delay by don't know how many years lar... they'll get there eventually but who knows how long it takes...

say 2025 ... actual timeline ... no 2030 no talk ... LOL

• Haha! 2

Supersonic
On 6/12/2024 at 4:10 PM, teomingern said:

SMART Tag was designed to be like our IU except that it requires a battery which required replacing... it has its own issues like our ERP 2.0 issues... and also safety issues... it's on its way out apparently... but who knows... RFID readers tend to be very finicky as we all know... especially when we take IPPT in the past and the reader doesn't register your passing the gantry when running 2.4 km... it's very sian and must rely on video recording to back up... only the toll gates don't have video recording... so if the RFID reader doesn't work or your tag doesn't agree with certain readers, then you still need the physical TnG card to tap through... I don't understand why they want to change when the card with NFC is like the best possible solution...

I thought smarttag and RFID help to prevent traffic buildup at toll gates?  Don't think tapping TnG card can work in high traffic KL/ Klang Valley area during peak hours. 

• Praise 1

Supersonic
On 6/12/2024 at 8:12 AM, Wheelslover said:

Has anyone already activated VEP RFID? where did you stick it, the video show sticking at the left headlamp, while i saw some had theirs on their left windscreen. I don't  think having it on the headlamp a good idea.

Mine didn't have option to stick on windscreen.

IMG_9027.jpeg

On 6/12/2024 at 11:53 PM, Voodooman said:

I thought smarttag and RFID help to prevent traffic buildup at toll gates?  Don't think tapping TnG card can work in high traffic KL/ Klang Valley area during peak hours. 

Smart Tag worked very well but not RFID apparently... there's a need to really slow down to get the reader to read the tag... not so for the Smart Tag where the cars don't have to be so slow... they're trying to do it like our ERP where the cars don't have to slow down at all... but who knows when it will be ready... the last article linked says 2025 but it's already middle of 2024 and no sign of it yet...

• Praise 1

Supersonic
On 6/13/2024 at 7:32 AM, teomingern said:

Smart Tag worked very well but not RFID apparently... there's a need to really slow down to get the reader to read the tag... not so for the Smart Tag where the cars don't have to be so slow... they're trying to do it like our ERP where the cars don't have to slow down at all... but who knows when it will be ready... the last article linked says 2025 but it's already middle of 2024 and no sign of it yet...

Smart Tag is battery powered and active, RFID is passive.  It is obvious which one is more reliable. 

Smart Tag cost RM200 per device? MY can't even get people to pay RM10 for TnG RFID, Smart Tag has very little chance of wider adoption.

MY road concessionaire operators are private companies and won't pay to install Smart Tag on every vehicle nor maintain multiple payment systems, unlike LTA here, which is a monopoly and well funded by ERP collection.  Hence our very expensive, ugly but unified ERP 2.0.  

MLFF (RFID with camera) should resolve some of the passive RFID issues.  Can't capture ID, take picture of VRN and debit from TnG wallet and or credit card. No jam. 

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 6/13/2024 at 9:49 AM, Voodooman said:

Smart Tag is battery powered and active, RFID is passive.  It is obvious which one is more reliable. 

Smart Tag cost RM200 per device? MY can't even get people to pay RM10 for TnG RFID, Smart Tag has very little chance of wider adoption.

MY road concessionaire operators are private companies and won't pay to install Smart Tag on every vehicle nor maintain multiple payment systems, unlike LTA here, which is a monopoly and well funded by ERP collection.  Hence our very expensive, ugly but unified ERP 2.0.  

MLFF (RFID with camera) should resolve some of the passive RFID issues.  Can't capture ID, take picture of VRN and debit from TnG wallet and or credit card. No jam. 

All Perodua cars has build-in smart tag.

It is #1 best selling car in Malaysia.

• Haha! 2

Hypersonic

MY IT companies sell million dollar solutions.

Then scrap it.

So can sell new million dollar solutions.

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
(edited)

Just like that country south of MY.

Indo 

Edited by Jamesc

Turbocharged

that's why last time paying for SmartTag is like buying use of express lane. I bought it after i got drenched when opening window to swipe TNG card in a monsoon lol

SmartTag now Rm200? last time it was Rm100 or so.

ironically, TNG RFID is supposed to be faster (car don't need to slow down so much) than SmartTag. Rm10 is a very small amt to pay for use of the faster lane. In fact it was given FOC for a period of time. 

a large  number of malaysians still relying good old TNG card. Even those that ply highways daily to get to work n back.

• Praise 3

Supersonic
(edited)
On 6/12/2024 at 11:54 PM, Voodooman said:

Mine didn't have option to stick on windscreen.

IMG_9027.jpeg

I would assume use tis to put vep rfid onto windscreen after taking a pix if e vep rfid (dun stick permanent) on e left headlamp.

Screenshot_20240613_124454.thumb.jpg.2dbdada6053a5d921c283933a7816805.jpg

Edited by zipping

Supersonic
On 6/13/2024 at 12:03 PM, Shibadog said:

that's why last time paying for SmartTag is like buying use of express lane. I bought it after i got drenched when opening window to swipe TNG card in a monsoon lol

SmartTag now Rm200? last time it was Rm100 or so.

ironically, TNG RFID is supposed to be faster (car don't need to slow down so much) than SmartTag. Rm10 is a very small amt to pay for use of the faster lane. In fact it was given FOC for a period of time. 

a large  number of malaysians still relying good old TNG card. Even those that ply highways daily to get to work n back.

People outside of KL are a lot more patient. 

Actually, to encourage TnG RFID adoption, just convert more gantries to RFID/ smart tag only lanes.  There will be chaos / jams during adjustment period but just do it incrementally. 

Hypersonic
On 6/13/2024 at 12:51 PM, Voodooman said:

People outside of KL are a lot more patient. 

Actually, to encourage TnG RFID adoption, just convert more gantries to RFID/ smart tag only lanes.  There will be chaos / jams during adjustment period but just do it incrementally. 

That's because they are not stuck in toll booth daily.

Ask ppl staying in Puchong and you will understand.

• Praise 1

It didn't work as planned when they tried to install it at the immigration counters in their VEP 1.0 more than a decade ago... so how knows if it will work... but quite sure they'll just use China tech again just like the TnG e-wallet which looks like some clone of WeChat or similar China super app...

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 6/13/2024 at 12:55 PM, teomingern said:

It didn't work as planned when they tried to install it at the immigration counters in their VEP 1.0 more than a decade ago... so how knows if it will work... but quite sure they'll just use China tech again just like the TnG e-wallet which looks like some clone of WeChat or similar China super app...

TnG eWallet is a joint venture with ANT payment

😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2