Class 4 Driving License

1 hour ago, AhSeng65 said:

How much is the course compared to Class 4? Is it difficult to pass?

Please refer to the followings for 1st attempt in SSDC or PCDC:

Class 4 - $1115.52 (Non-peak), $1169.02 (Peak)

Class 5 - $1169.02 (Non-peak), $1222.52 (Peak)

For re-test (Touchwood):

Class 4 - $381.82 (Non-peak), $392.52 (Peak)

Class 5 - $392.52 (Non-peak), $403.22 (Peak)

For Class 4, frankly speaking, if you got drive Class 3 vehicle very often, it should not be difficult to pass your Class 4. The only differences is the height of the driving seat, turning radius of the vehicle, the braking system of the truck and the horsepower of the truck. The brake for heavy vehicle is air brake, as compared to normal car which uses hydraulic brake. Hence, the brake can be very sensitive for heavy vehicles. I got trouble in my braking when I was learning Class 4 this year because I don't usually drive around in Singapore.

I failed once and it was in the circuit. Strike curb when driving around the circuit when turning left. It was not even an obstacle course. Please be aware that strike kerb for heavy vehicles when driving around circuit = Immediate Failure. Unless strike kerb for narrow courses like S-course, crank course etc, then it will be a 10 demerit points.

When moving off, must always engage 2nd gear to move off from stationary position because the truck behind don't have any load, that is why no need 1st gear to move off. That is what I understand from the instructors from PCDC.

Personally, I will suggest taking up SSDC instead of PCDC, because the instructors from PCDC can be quite fierce and sarcastic. Please don't take it to heart if their words are hurtful and insulting. 

To sum it up, it is just a learning experience and for backup in an event of job layoffs, retrenchments, company restructure etc, which recently you can see the news from TODAY, stating 'Retrenchments jump by 35% in Q3, largely due to layoffs in tech sector: MOM.' At least with a Class 4 / 5, you can support yourself or families for the time being, to minimize monthly income loss. Especially GST coming up 8-9% in couple of years' time.

Most important thing when driving any type of vehicles, safety is the 1st priority. Always look out for blind spots, pedestrians, other road users etc. Being slow is alright, rather than get into accident and lost a life, then it is not worth it.

Best of luck if you are taking your Class 4 anytime soon. Way to go. :)

Retrenchments jump by 35% in Q3, largely due to layoffs in tech sector MOM.png

↡ Advertisement

On 12/9/2022 at 12:54 PM, wilderness said:

@ScottyWittyKow

Thanks for sharing. Good points. Not sure if I want driving as a profession. I was quite stressed while driving in NZ, preferring to get to destination sooner because of road hogging stress. Maybe a different perspective would help. Big vehicle driving does take a bit more balls to not worry about hitting others.

It was only south island. Almost 3000km. Christchurch - Arthur's pass - grey mouth - fox glacier - Wanaka - queenstown - lumsden - Milford sound - Dunedin - lake pukaki - lake tekapo - Christchurch.

Wife was smart, suggest scenic routes all the time. Gravel roads sometimes but roads mostly empty.

Very varied driving experience. Winding mountainous roads or long flat stretches.

Use the rankers camping NZ app to find freedom or camper van parks and govt dump stations.

We black water dump maybe once in 3 days. Better dump early as odor spread on gravel or winding roads.

We campervan park every 3 days to do laundry and enjoy electricity nights.

Wife got a 30day DOC freedom camping voucher. Good value once you hit a certain number of days as individual parking can cost 25$ per pax per day.

Always chose top rated DOC conservation sites.

Roads are up to 100kmh. Many drivers hit that speed. But we do mostly 70kmh, sometimes 60. So always hogging. V stressed. Gotta signal left and sideline frequently to let ppl pass. Again not easy on single lane, windy and hilly roads and must check other side is clear and suitable to help passers. 

If I do it again I'd prefer a smaller vehicle. And schedule daily routes properly with distance and duration so that I'm not so stressed about getting somewhere without time awareness. Early summer time is good with sunlight from 5am till 9pm. We usually start at 9 and end by 7pm. 

Remember to reserve your van early! This time next year is good. Weather was 9 to 20 mostly but got down to 5 at pukaki (v windy) and up to 25 at Christchurch last month. 

Hi there! Been wanting to go on a month long campervan trip to NZ since 2020 until covid struck!

Can I connect with you via pm on itinerary and planning?

I intend to go in Nov 2023.

Cheers!

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, ScottyWittyKow said:

Please refer to the followings for 1st attempt in SSDC or PCDC:

Class 4 - $1115.52 (Non-peak), $1169.02 (Peak)

Class 5 - $1169.02 (Non-peak), $1222.52 (Peak)

For re-test (Touchwood):

Class 4 - $381.82 (Non-peak), $392.52 (Peak)

Class 5 - $392.52 (Non-peak), $403.22 (Peak)

For Class 4, frankly speaking, if you got drive Class 3 vehicle very often, it should not be difficult to pass your Class 4. The only differences is the height of the driving seat, turning radius of the vehicle, the braking system of the truck and the horsepower of the truck. The brake for heavy vehicle is air brake, as compared to normal car which uses hydraulic brake. Hence, the brake can be very sensitive for heavy vehicles. I got trouble in my braking when I was learning Class 4 this year because I don't usually drive around in Singapore.

I failed once and it was in the circuit. Strike curb when driving around the circuit when turning left. It was not even an obstacle course. Please be aware that strike kerb for heavy vehicles when driving around circuit = Immediate Failure. Unless strike kerb for narrow courses like S-course, crank course etc, then it will be a 10 demerit points.

When moving off, must always engage 2nd gear to move off from stationary position because the truck behind don't have any load, that is why no need 1st gear to move off. That is what I understand from the instructors from PCDC.

Personally, I will suggest taking up SSDC instead of PCDC, because the instructors from PCDC can be quite fierce and sarcastic. Please don't take it to heart if their words are hurtful and insulting. 

To sum it up, it is just a learning experience and for backup in an event of job layoffs, retrenchments, company restructure etc, which recently you can see the news from TODAY, stating 'Retrenchments jump by 35% in Q3, largely due to layoffs in tech sector: MOM.' At least with a Class 4 / 5, you can support yourself or families for the time being, to minimize monthly income loss. Especially GST coming up 8-9% in couple of years' time.

Most important thing when driving any type of vehicles, safety is the 1st priority. Always look out for blind spots, pedestrians, other road users etc. Being slow is alright, rather than get into accident and lost a life, then it is not worth it.

Best of luck if you are taking your Class 4 anytime soon. Way to go. 🙂

Retrenchments jump by 35% in Q3, largely due to layoffs in tech sector MOM.png

Any idea if can use skillsfuture credit?

1 minute ago, Battledome64 said:

Any idea if can use skillsfuture credit?

Unfortunately, I don’t think can use Skillsfuture Credits. Tried to search under their website but cannot find anything related to driving course.

14 hours ago, Wildfaye29 said:

Hi there! Been wanting to go on a month long campervan trip to NZ since 2020 until covid struck!

Can I connect with you via pm on itinerary and planning?

I intend to go in Nov 2023.

Cheers!

Sure thing! 

On 12/8/2022 at 8:59 PM, wilderness said:

@ScottyWittyKow I actually just came back from a month's campervaning in NZ and was curious about getting class 4. That's how I found your post.

We booked a 7.4m king for 4 from wilderness. I'd say even without class 4, driving it wasnt difficult aside from the fact that south island is mostly single lane and the campervan is really quite wide body.

So I'm mostly concerned with going off lane or road hogging.

The vehicle design is such that i rely mostly on side mirrors and rear camera to guide reverse parking. Sometimes I need my partner to oversee or control traffic as the rear blind spots can be quite large.

Parallel parking was a breeze. I did mount a curb during the first day turning into a supermarket parking lot. Thankfully I didn't hit anyone or any cars. 

Taking class 4 would be fun, but I can't see a real use getting it aside from some more tips and tricks about driving a large vehicle. 

1 week of campervaning is enough to get a good feel of 7.4m wide body driving. 

If you want to campervan in NZ, make sure you book early. You can save a few grand just by being early. Other good companies include Maui and Apollo. I'd say wilderness have one of the largest sized campervans running in NZ. Most are simple minivan converts. 

Drove a 6 passenger one in Tasmania with 2 others about 15years ago, enjoyed the extra room. All of us had only class 3. Not a problem for any of us to handle the vehicle at all. 
was a good trip, but not sure I will do it again as it was a hassle to fill water and find places to park. we never bothered with a campervan park. Just parked along some roads and even in the national park overnight. Once we even park right along the beach. Was nice waking to sounds of the waves. 
consumption was high though 15-16l/100km. 

• Praise 1

Just wonder why Traffic Police,not yet review the Class 3 for driving Vehicles not exceeding 2,500Kg,they should change to allowed to drive Cars,MPV & SUV exceeding 2,500Kg,but not allowed to drive Lorries & Vans with ''Y'' Plates or over 10 Footers.

On 12/30/2022 at 2:42 PM, ScottyWittyKow said:

Hi All.

Stay tune for more updates for Class 5 driving.

Happy new year.

Congratulations! Once you pass, you can start a new discussion thread on Class 5.

Happy New year!

1 minute ago, Charles123456 said:

@ScottyWittyKow Hi bro was looking up for tip in class 4 come across this forum helped me to pass my class 4 first try thanks!

Wow. Glad that I can help. Congrats. I will be taking Class 5 in Feb 2023. TP on 09 Feb 2023. I will create another thread on Class 5 once I clear the TP, hopefully.

Just now, Charles123456 said:

@ScottyWittyKow For Class 5 need to buy PDL again or can update it with the existing one before expired?

Good question. No need pay another $25 for Class 5 PDL. Because my Class 4 PDL expires on 24 Jan 2024, my Class 5 PDL also expires on 24 Jan 2024.

74DB3310-B11C-40A0-A2E2-DFB45F19C42F.jpeg

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

You don't need class 4 driving license to drive campervan in Australia and New Zealand. I have rented Mercedes Sprinter campervan for at least 3 times in Australia and New Zealand and I use class 3 driving license.

On 12/31/2022 at 5:17 PM, AhSeng65 said:

Congratulations! Once you pass, you can start a new discussion thread on Class 5.

Happy New year!

Hi all, Happy Lunar New Year. I just started a new thread about Class 5 Driving Course. I will be going for my practical lesson on 06 Feb 2023. Will update in that new thread with more information. Meanwhile, take care.

Neutral Newbie
On 1/4/2023 at 4:22 PM, lamida said:

You don't need class 4 driving license to drive campervan in Australia and New Zealand. I have rented Mercedes Sprinter campervan for at least 3 times in Australia and New Zealand and I use class 3 driving license.

You cannot generalise because it depends on the vehicle weight of the campervan you intend to rent.

On 3/21/2023 at 2:09 AM, Charles123456 said:

What happens to the Class 5 Thread I can't see to access the post.

Screenshot_2023-03-21-02-08-15-23_e4424258c8b8649f6e67d283a50a2cbc.jpg

@Charles123456 - I think I post too much information, thats why deleted away. Even I also cannot access the information.

↡ Advertisement