Class 4 Driving License

I also want to learn class 4 in case no one buys my used cars and all buy new and complain COE so high, COE so high.

:D

Is drive the towhead and trailer also class 4?

↡ Advertisement

I'm also a class 4 student right now in the same school, my TP test is coming up mid-Apr. Wish me good luck, please!

and, about campervan rental in Aussie/NZ, u don't need class 4 licence, just class 3 is sufficient and they are A/T. Unless you're going for RV (motorbus), then class 4. But don't think there's any RV for rent in Oceania.

46 minutes ago, ManManMandy said:

I'm also a class 4 student right now in the same school, my TP test is coming up mid-Apr. Wish me good luck, please!

and, about campervan rental in Aussie/NZ, u don't need class 4 licence, just class 3 is sufficient and they are A/T. Unless you're going for RV (motorbus), then class 4. But don't think there's any RV for rent in Oceania.

Good luck for your upcoming TP. Is like next week only. Be careful on the circuit area where you have to make a turn, due to tight corner. Please refer to the picture marked with a cross. 

I actually strike kerb during my 1st TP for my Class 4 when turning that left turn, resulting immediate failure.

AEFC7986-FD72-4DC4-8B13-35320ED7F09D.jpeg

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

I also want to learn class 4 in case no one buys my used cars and all buy new and complain COE so high, COE so high.

If you want to learn, I guess you better learn it soonest. Because the lessons fees are getting ridiculously expensive. 2017 I saw the pricing was around 900+. 2022 already hit 1.1K.

Towhead and trailer should be Class 4 because TP classified Class 4 as vehicle with unladen weight more than 2,500 kg. It didn’t state what is the maximum unladen weight it can goes. 

Last time maximum is until 7,250kg. Anything more than 7,250kg is Class 5.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, ManManMandy said:

@ManManMandy

By the way, just my 2 cents, when I was took my Class 4, 1st TP test (Failed due to 1 immediate failure), I went to do V-course. After you full locked right, straighten the wheel before reaching the front kerb and stop.

After that, you reverse before the rear wheels hit the kerb. 

Now this. I remember i accidentally sign left while reversing straight. I was told that reversing straight no need to signal. 4 points was awarded for turning wrong signal. 

My 2nd TP test (Passed), I did the V-course. When wheels are straighten and stop right before the front kerb, I reverse without turning on any signal and look behind while reversing. The tester told me how come I didn’t turn on Left Signal and awarded 4 points for Fail to Signal at Station 25 (V-course).

I was puzzled because 2 different testers said 2 different things altgt.

You may wish to check with the tester on the day of the test itself for this before he commences the test. Check with him whether is it really a need to signal left while reversing straight during V-course.

Please refer to both screenshots for both of my test checklists.

C523F89A-DBF2-44A4-B76F-CB8838B5EEE0.jpeg

A9F1A0D1-4F4F-403F-81AA-9AE232C0D47E.jpeg

• Praise 2

(edited)
7 hours ago, ScottyWittyKow said:

If you want to learn, I guess you better learn it soonest. Because the lessons fees are getting ridiculously expensive. 2017 I saw the pricing was around 900+. 2022 already hit 1.1K.

Towhead and trailer should be Class 4 because TP classified Class 4 as vehicle with unladen weight more than 2,500 kg. It didn’t state what is the maximum unladen weight it can goes. 

Last time maximum is until 7,250kg. Anything more than 7,250kg is Class 5.

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/SL/RTA1961-R27?DocDate=20200511#pr19-

Class 5 vehicles which shall consist of —

(i)light locomotives, that is to say, motor vehicles which are not constructed to carry any load (other than water, fuel, accumulators and other equipment and materials used for the purpose of propulsion, loose tools and loose equipment) and the weight of which unladen does not exceed 11,500 kilograms; and

[S 373/2020 wef 12/05/2020]

(ii)heavy locomotives, that is to say, motor vehicles which are not constructed to carry any load (other than water, fuel, accumulators and other equipment and materials used for the purpose of propulsion, loose tools and loose equipment) and the weight of which unladen exceeds 11,500 kilograms.

Actually Class 5 is for vehicle designed to NOT carry any load, like mobile crane, large tow truck, 3 axles/10 wheeler prime mover, etc. Other heavy vehicles like 3 axles/10 wheeler tipper lorry--exceed 10 tonnes unladen, 2 axles/6 wheeler prime mover--less than 6 tonnes unladen do not require class 5. Also, employer will want a class 5 license when one apply to drive lorry crane, but lorry crane can carry load and when including the crane--permenent fixture--can be over 20 tonnes unladen. 

My class 5 test was nearly 20 years ago, IIRC, class 5 test use mobile crane with the overhang boom multiple feets ahead of driver seat. The test is not much different than class 4, they emphasize more on safety, especially the overhang boom. When approching the stop sign, the overhang boom can not go beyond the stop sign, you will need to stop before that then incher forward with your body lean forward to check approching vehicle. And always remember to check your mirrors, especially left mirror after turning right. 

I got my class 3 license thru SAF, still remember my instructor face when I asked him which pedals is which after I sat on driver seat of the Mercedes 911 3 tonner!  If you think learning class 3 manual is tough, try the non-power steering, double clutching with no air-conditioning doing 3 point turn. Unfortunately for me, my first class 4 test at Chin Bee was a failure! I was actually stunned by the result cause I did everything right, but the tester failed me at the very first left turn--4th Chin Bee to International Rd--FAILED to give way to on coming verhicle which I thought was hundreds of meter away at 3rd Chin Bee when I turn left. Well, sh!t happen, the next test few weeks later was butter smooth, think I got 4 points or about, nothing else from the tester.

Edited by epos
  • Praise 2

5 hours ago, epos said:

https://sso.agc.gov.sg/SL/RTA1961-R27?DocDate=20200511#pr19-

Actually Class 5 is for vehicle designed to NOT carry any load, like mobile crane, large tow truck, 3 axles/10 wheeler prime mover, etc. Other heavy vehicles like 3 axles/10 wheeler tipper lorry--exceed 10 tonnes unladen, 2 axles/6 wheeler prime mover--less than 6 tonnes unladen do not require class 5. Also, employer will want a class 5 license when one apply to drive lorry crane, but lorry crane can carry load and when including the crane--permenent fixture--can be over 20 tonnes unladen. 

My class 5 test was nearly 20 years ago, IIRC, class 5 test use mobile crane with the overhang boom multiple feets ahead of driver seat. The test is not much different than class 4, they emphasize more on safety, especially the overhang boom. When approching the stop sign, the overhang boom can not go beyond the stop sign, you will need to stop before that then incher forward with your body lean forward to check approching vehicle. And always remember to check your mirrors, especially left mirror after turning right. 

I got my class 3 license thru SAF, still remember my instructor face when I asked him which pedals is which after I sat on driver seat of the Mercedes 911 3 tonner!  If you think learning class 3 manual is tough, try the non-power steering, double clutching with no air-conditioning doing 3 point turn. Unfortunately for me, my first class 4 test at Chin Bee was a failure! I was actually stunned by the result cause I did everything right, but the tester failed me at the very first left turn--4th Chin Bee to International Rd--FAILED to give way to on coming verhicle which I thought was hundreds of meter away at 3rd Chin Bee when I turn left. Well, sh!t happen, the next test few weeks later was butter smooth, think I got 4 points or about, nothing else from the tester.

Hi. Wow thank you for the information about Class 5. I need these information. Somehow Internet doesn’t have much information about Class 5. 

When I learnt that Class 5 need to double declutching, I am hestitating whether to take up because I find that is another challenge when driving a manual tranmission. 

Yah, I heard about the “boom” thingy where tester pays extreme close attention to it during TP. 

Guess I have to think twice whether to take up Class 5.

Wah, non power steering is a no no. Without power steering, I legit don’t know how to straighten the wheels after full lock left / right. 

Twincharged
10 hours ago, ScottyWittyKow said:

@ManManMandy

By the way, just my 2 cents, when I was took my Class 4, 1st TP test (Failed due to 1 immediate failure), I went to do V-course. After you full locked right, straighten the wheel before reaching the front kerb and stop.

Now this. I remember i accidentally sign left while reversing straight. I was told that reversing straight no need to signal. 4 points was awarded for turning wrong signal. 

My 2nd TP test (Passed), I did the V-course. When wheels are straighten and stop right before the front kerb, I reverse without turning on any signal and look behind while reversing. The tester told me how come I didn’t turn on Left Signal and awarded 4 points for Fail to Signal at Station 25 (V-course).

You may wish to check with the tester on the day of the test itself for this before he commences the test. Check with him whether is it really a need to signal left while reversing straight during V-course.

C523F89A-DBF2-44A4-B76F-CB8838B5EEE0.jpeg

A9F1A0D1-4F4F-403F-81AA-9AE232C0D47E.jpeg

Typically they just want to give you some points and let you pass. So come up with some reason to do so lor. Same with class 3. I doubt there is anyone passing with 0 points. 

(edited)
7 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Typically they just want to give you some points and let you pass. So come up with some reason to do so lor. Same with class 3. I doubt there is anyone passing with 0 points. 

Yah, actually that makes sense. But oh well, test candidates are at their mercy. Pass or Fail really depends on the testers.

Edited by ScottyWittyKow
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic
47 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Ya, not possible to pass with 0 points, since the tester love to give point for failing to check blindspot. Lol.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
On 4/1/2022 at 1:52 PM, ScottyWittyKow said:

Hi everyone. It has been a week since I obtained my Class 4 driving licence. I would like to share my Class 4 learning journey if those who are keen to take up Class 4 driving licence.

Actually I tried to google as much as I can but without much information as not a lot of people willing to take Class 4/5. 

The last time I passed my Class 3 was Nov 2014. Was planning to take up Class 4 since 2016 but kept dragging until now. 

Anyway, back to main topic. When Jan 2022 starts, I decided to take up Class 4 as I don’t wish to procastinate any longer. 

The only driving centre to learn Class 4/5 is Singapore Safety Driving Centre (SSDC). There is another valid driving centre that also teach Class 4/5. The company is Pan Country Driving Centre (PCDC). 

When I reach SSDC on 25 Jan 2022, I was told that SSDC slots are full. Only left with PCDC. I was reluctant to take up PCDC because I know nothing about PCDC. Previously I took up my Class 3 driving practical lessons at SSDC, I find that the instructors are very nice and patience. But oh well. I just have to give it a shot and try PCDC. 

For Class 4/5, you have to pay everything upfront. For my Class 4 package, I paid a full lump sum of SGD 1,115.52 for 1 theory lesson, 5 practical lessons, 1 Traffic Police test (TP) and 1 rental fee of the Class 4 vehicle. Really regret didnt take up my Class 4 few years ago, as the pricing was less than SGD 1K.

So I managed to book the 5 practical lessons for the month of Feb 2022. The dates are 07, 16, 17, 18, 21 Feb 2022. 

The theory lesson basically is to attend and they will provide you a list of highway code with all the mandatory and warning road signs.

At the end of the TP test, the TP will test you on the road signs and you have to explain to them what are the road signs means and what to do when driving a heavy vehicles when you see these signs. Basically you have to memorise the road signs and it is requirement during your Class 4 TP test. 

Previously I already knew that there will be rope tying and height measurement. So I managed to find Youtube on how to perform the rope tying and memorise the technique. 

I managed to learn the technique fast and have no issue with the rope tying. As for height measurement, it is pretty straight forward. The instructor will guide you how to estimate it. I won’t go much details on it.

As for the 1st practical lesson, I mixed up the timing and came an hour late. But luckily the instructor managed to take me up for my lesson. It feels weird to drive the Class 4 vehicle because I don’t usually drive in Singapore. If I do, it will be usually in overseas. Mount kerb, strike kerb is pretty normal because I lack of driving experience. But overall, is quite fun to drive around the circuit and outside road.

Cut long story short, after completing the 5 practical lessons, it is time to take my Class 4 TP test which I booked on 03 Mar 2022, 245pm. This timing is a very good timing as the traffic should not be heavy because the lunch time is over.

Went for the TP test at 245pm. The lady at the front counter will inform you Test Vehicle Number. After that, I was brought to report to the vehicle and wait for the TP tester.

Tester came, asked to demostrate the rope tying. Checked, no issue. Height measurement also no issue. Hop the vehicle and start the engine as per instructed. The tester conduct a briefing on how the test will be conducted. 1 immediate failure (IF) or/and 20 demerit points accumulated deem to have fail the test. Acknowledge and was asked to turn left and move off.

1st station done was at Directional Change. No issue. Next station was at Parallel Parking. No issue. Next station was at Crank Course. Came out wide turning. Turn left. Go straight and left turn bend. Strike curb when turning left. Immediate failure. Tester was quite disappointed but still allow me to did the rest of the circuit. No going outside public road. No issue with highway code.

Ended up 12 demerits points and 1 immediate failure. Was told that the driving was Ok. But because strike kerb, he cannot pass me. 

Went up to Level 3 and book a re-test on 26 Mar 2022 (Sat), 0915am. Was feeling quite disappointed though. Thank god was a Sat. Normal bus lane is not applicable. It is also required to book 1 practical lesson before the TP test. So I managed to book 1 lesson on 25 Mar 2022. The practical lesson didn’t went well though. Still strike kerb in Vertical Parking and a lot of test vehicles during my lesson. Didn’t have the chance to practice hard enough.

Came 26 Mar 2022. Woke up early and head straight to SSDC. Ate some breakfast at Woodlands Interchange. Reached SSDC around 8am plus. Waited until the lady at counter gather those taking TP test at 0915am. Same thing as the previous TP test. Reported to the test vehicle. That day, only 3 candidates including me. My tester came slightly late. I was the last to move off. The first 2 candidates move off first while I was waiting quite nervously for my tester.

Finally my tester came and verify my IC and face before commencing the test. Rope tying and height measurement went smoothly. Hop on the test vehicle and was brief by the TP tester. This tester seems very professional and I had never encounter such tester who really go an extra miles to ensure the test candidate knows what he or she is doing.

He conducted the briefing as per usual and ask me how do I check my blindspots. I demostrated to him and he acknowledged it. 

Thank goodness, the test vehicle was parked near to the slope and was instructed to do the slope first. So he instructed me to turn right when moving off. 

I was quite worried if he asked me to turn left because the previous test, I was asked to turn left and do some circuit tests and have to make half a round turn left to do slope. And I striked kerb during the left turning, as the turn is quite a tight corner for a Class 4 vehicle. I find that the slope location is quite away from the heavy vehicle circuit test. 

So I managed to perform the circuit pretty well except for Vertical Parking which I turned too early and require additional reverse movement. Other than that, not much issue in circuit. Went out the public road, perform U turn, Right Turn and Left Turn. Came back to driving centre. Went for the debrief room and was tested the highway verbal codes. Almost forgot one of the answer but managed to remember it. Tester show me the result. Passed with 18 points. Asked me to pass him my driving licence. Waited for 5 mins and came out hand me the driving licence and test checklist and told me that I passed. 18 points. The driving licence behind, he helped me paste the additional class of driving licence. There is an updated version for Class 3 where one can drive Ambulances and Medical Transport Vehicles, which is cool. 

So I was quite happy that I managed to close this chapter of taking up Class 4 driving course after so long. Reason for taking up Class 4 because I wish to drive a campervans in overseas such as New Zealand or Australia. Not sure whether the campervans unladen weight is how heavy so is better to take up Class 4 just in case.

I was thinking whether to take up Class 5 but shall see how it goes. Meanwhile, take care everyone.

I got my class 4 in 2012, forgot almost everything leow :D

1 thing I remember though was, the first year you get the class 4, your points will reduce to 12pt (considered as probation) for first year across all other class of license you hold. So first year driving was extra careful after gotten class 4 :D

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 4/1/2022 at 1:52 PM, ScottyWittyKow said:

Hi everyone. It has been a week since I obtained my Class 4 driving licence. I would like to share my Class 4 learning journey if those who are keen to take up Class 4 driving licence.

Actually I tried to google as much as I can but without much information as not a lot of people willing to take Class 4/5. 

The last time I passed my Class 3 was Nov 2014. Was planning to take up Class 4 since 2016 but kept dragging until now. 

Anyway, back to main topic. When Jan 2022 starts, I decided to take up Class 4 as I don’t wish to procastinate any longer. 

The only driving centre to learn Class 4/5 is Singapore Safety Driving Centre (SSDC). There is another valid driving centre that also teach Class 4/5. The company is Pan Country Driving Centre (PCDC). 

When I reach SSDC on 25 Jan 2022, I was told that SSDC slots are full. Only left with PCDC. I was reluctant to take up PCDC because I know nothing about PCDC. Previously I took up my Class 3 driving practical lessons at SSDC, I find that the instructors are very nice and patience. But oh well. I just have to give it a shot and try PCDC. 

For Class 4/5, you have to pay everything upfront. For my Class 4 package, I paid a full lump sum of SGD 1,115.52 for 1 theory lesson, 5 practical lessons, 1 Traffic Police test (TP) and 1 rental fee of the Class 4 vehicle. Really regret didnt take up my Class 4 few years ago, as the pricing was less than SGD 1K.

So I managed to book the 5 practical lessons for the month of Feb 2022. The dates are 07, 16, 17, 18, 21 Feb 2022. 

The theory lesson basically is to attend and they will provide you a list of highway code with all the mandatory and warning road signs.

At the end of the TP test, the TP will test you on the road signs and you have to explain to them what are the road signs means and what to do when driving a heavy vehicles when you see these signs. Basically you have to memorise the road signs and it is requirement during your Class 4 TP test. 

Previously I already knew that there will be rope tying and height measurement. So I managed to find Youtube on how to perform the rope tying and memorise the technique. 

I managed to learn the technique fast and have no issue with the rope tying. As for height measurement, it is pretty straight forward. The instructor will guide you how to estimate it. I won’t go much details on it.

As for the 1st practical lesson, I mixed up the timing and came an hour late. But luckily the instructor managed to take me up for my lesson. It feels weird to drive the Class 4 vehicle because I don’t usually drive in Singapore. If I do, it will be usually in overseas. Mount kerb, strike kerb is pretty normal because I lack of driving experience. But overall, is quite fun to drive around the circuit and outside road.

Cut long story short, after completing the 5 practical lessons, it is time to take my Class 4 TP test which I booked on 03 Mar 2022, 245pm. This timing is a very good timing as the traffic should not be heavy because the lunch time is over.

Went for the TP test at 245pm. The lady at the front counter will inform you Test Vehicle Number. After that, I was brought to report to the vehicle and wait for the TP tester.

Tester came, asked to demostrate the rope tying. Checked, no issue. Height measurement also no issue. Hop the vehicle and start the engine as per instructed. The tester conduct a briefing on how the test will be conducted. 1 immediate failure (IF) or/and 20 demerit points accumulated deem to have fail the test. Acknowledge and was asked to turn left and move off.

1st station done was at Directional Change. No issue. Next station was at Parallel Parking. No issue. Next station was at Crank Course. Came out wide turning. Turn left. Go straight and left turn bend. Strike curb when turning left. Immediate failure. Tester was quite disappointed but still allow me to did the rest of the circuit. No going outside public road. No issue with highway code.

Ended up 12 demerits points and 1 immediate failure. Was told that the driving was Ok. But because strike kerb, he cannot pass me. 

Went up to Level 3 and book a re-test on 26 Mar 2022 (Sat), 0915am. Was feeling quite disappointed though. Thank god was a Sat. Normal bus lane is not applicable. It is also required to book 1 practical lesson before the TP test. So I managed to book 1 lesson on 25 Mar 2022. The practical lesson didn’t went well though. Still strike kerb in Vertical Parking and a lot of test vehicles during my lesson. Didn’t have the chance to practice hard enough.

Came 26 Mar 2022. Woke up early and head straight to SSDC. Ate some breakfast at Woodlands Interchange. Reached SSDC around 8am plus. Waited until the lady at counter gather those taking TP test at 0915am. Same thing as the previous TP test. Reported to the test vehicle. That day, only 3 candidates including me. My tester came slightly late. I was the last to move off. The first 2 candidates move off first while I was waiting quite nervously for my tester.

Finally my tester came and verify my IC and face before commencing the test. Rope tying and height measurement went smoothly. Hop on the test vehicle and was brief by the TP tester. This tester seems very professional and I had never encounter such tester who really go an extra miles to ensure the test candidate knows what he or she is doing.

He conducted the briefing as per usual and ask me how do I check my blindspots. I demostrated to him and he acknowledged it. 

Thank goodness, the test vehicle was parked near to the slope and was instructed to do the slope first. So he instructed me to turn right when moving off. 

I was quite worried if he asked me to turn left because the previous test, I was asked to turn left and do some circuit tests and have to make half a round turn left to do slope. And I striked kerb during the left turning, as the turn is quite a tight corner for a Class 4 vehicle. I find that the slope location is quite away from the heavy vehicle circuit test. 

So I managed to perform the circuit pretty well except for Vertical Parking which I turned too early and require additional reverse movement. Other than that, not much issue in circuit. Went out the public road, perform U turn, Right Turn and Left Turn. Came back to driving centre. Went for the debrief room and was tested the highway verbal codes. Almost forgot one of the answer but managed to remember it. Tester show me the result. Passed with 18 points. Asked me to pass him my driving licence. Waited for 5 mins and came out hand me the driving licence and test checklist and told me that I passed. 18 points. The driving licence behind, he helped me paste the additional class of driving licence. There is an updated version for Class 3 where one can drive Ambulances and Medical Transport Vehicles, which is cool. 

So I was quite happy that I managed to close this chapter of taking up Class 4 driving course after so long. Reason for taking up Class 4 because I wish to drive a campervans in overseas such as New Zealand or Australia. Not sure whether the campervans unladen weight is how heavy so is better to take up Class 4 just in case.

I was thinking whether to take up Class 5 but shall see how it goes. Meanwhile, take care everyone.

Bro I hope you win thread of the month for Ur informative thread

U get my vote

• Praise 1

On 4/1/2022 at 8:52 AM, ScottyWittyKow said:

By the way, I wanted to share good news. I finally started to make repairs in my house. And now I'm studying all the nuances for repair. The site helps me with this https://www.homequote.io/blog/energy-saving-windows. A lot of useful information, I'm already starting preparations for a large-scale repair :)

And I, by the way, also plan to pass on the rights of 4 classes. Very soon I will go to a driving school and I will prepare. That being said, I have big plans :)

On 4/7/2022 at 8:56 PM, ScottyWittyKow said:

@ManManMandy

For clearing V-course, parallel parking & crank course, the fisheye mirror on the left is very useful to gauge if you are able to turn without touching the kerbs. If those who are familiar driving 10 footer lorries (Dyna, Cabstar) or those hiace, urvan panel vans should be much easier taking class 4. Basic rule of all, do not bring our bad driving habits in there, it is fatal error.

On 4/8/2022 at 9:31 AM, Yeshe said:

I got my class 4 in 2012, forgot almost everything leow :D

1 thing I remember though was, the first year you get the class 4, your points will reduce to 12pt (considered as probation) for first year across all other class of license you hold. So first year driving was extra careful after gotten class 4 :D

I did heard of this myth & did checked with the TP counter lady, She told me only class 4 is 12 pts while the existing classes remains unchanged. That was many moons ago, I don't know if this regulation is still the same. 

• Praise 1

Have always wondered whether it's difficult to drive those smallish trucks . Have a Class 3 currently which is used daily 😃

On 4/7/2022 at 4:59 PM, Jamesc said:

That should be class 5 lah.

• Praise 1

Double declutching is not a problem. Just get used to it.

For non power steering, in the past, most of the old heavy vehicles were without power steering. It can be very heavy. 

Once I was driving a bus fully loaded with standing passengers going on Nicoll Highway. As I was negotiating the bend into Stadium Road, the downshift did not stay. It jumped to neutral I got the scare of my life. So, I controlled the brake and handled the wheel with all my might to keep on track. It was very scary😱

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1