Putin starts “military operation” on Ukraine

happy_man

Hypersonic

Ukraine has to withdraw stronghold Zenit, south of Avdiivka.  Read from both sides that not all defenders make it out. Really sad.

https://news.yahoo.com/commander-ukraine-withdraws-strongpoint-avdiivkas-133341778.html

Commander: Ukraine withdraws from strongpoint on Avdiivka's outskirts

Ukrainian forces withdrew from the Zenit strongpoint southeast of Avdiivka, General Oleksandr Tarnavskyi announced on Feb. 16, as the situation in the front-line city grows increasingly difficult.

Originally built as an air defense complex in the Soviet times, Zenit has been used as an important defensive position by Ukrainian troops since the start of Russian aggression in 2014. It helped the defenders prevent any advances toward Avdiivka directly from the south.

Avdiivka has faced intensified Russian attacks since October 2023 as Moscow's troops aim to encircle and capture the city.

Tarnavskyi, who commands the Tavria group of forces, said the decision on withdrawal was made "in order to preserve personnel and improve the operational situation."

"The occupation of these positions does not give the enemy a strategic advantage and does not change the situation of Avdiivka's defense operations," Tarnavskyi said.

"We held this position as long as it allowed us to effectively restrain and destroy the enemy," the general said, adding that the decision was made after months of fighting.

Earlier on Feb. 16, Tarnavskyi said the "situation in Avdiivka is difficult, but controlled. Fierce fighting is taking place within the city."

The commander also said that units in the most heavily attacked areas were being reinforced with additional troops. Ukraine's Third Assault Brigade confirmed on Feb. 15 that it was "urgently" redeployed to Avdiivka as the situation grows "extremely critical."

"Troop management is stable and effective," Tarnavskyi reported. He also said that additional resources, including ammunition, had been allocated to units in the region.

Avdiivka lies only a few kilometers away from Russian-occupied Donetsk. Heavy fighting has left the city largely in ruins.

Hypersonic
(edited)

Ukraine has left the City of Avdiivka.. Russian channel claims withdrawal was badly done, many casualties while retreating.. I think  this is the first of Srysky's failure of a disorganized withdrawal. But maybe that's the best they can do, since all routes out are under enemies firing range. The west, especially USA has failed Ukraine in lack on funds and especially Arty ammo.. Ukraine were doing quite well a couple of months back when they had arty superiority. No ATACMs, delayed F16,  no Taurus. 

From Deepstate mapping yesterday and today, the changes

12 hours ago

Ago.PNG

Latest mapping, 

Now.PNG

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/ukrainian-forces-withdrawing-avdiivka-rcna139145

Ukrainian forces withdrawing from Avdiivka

Edited by Ender

Hypersonic

Why the evacuation is so hard and with causalities. The pincher was almost deliberately left opened as a trap by the Russian, but close enough for their firing range. Ukrainian soldiers trapped inside the pincher has a dangerous route out from the opening. 

Pincher.PNG

It’s not the first time that Ukraine held on to a losing hand for too long. To me it’s not a matter of the battlefield commanders but the commander in chief refusing to cede territory

Hypersonic

When Russia assaulted Avdiivka somewhere in Oct, there's hardly any frontline changes, and we hear massive loss for Russia side. The frontline only starts change significantly only recently when Ukraine complained they are low on arty ammo and the sudden lack of funding from America. They are compensating the lack of arty ammo with more drones, and that was not enough. The change in commander chief I think was the last straw, the Russia took advantage of the low morale and disorganization of the new command structure and infighting (there are battalions loyal to Zaluzhyni, and Skysry needed to fix that)

I hope they regroup and re strategize. The current strategy is not working. Also they should stop announcing future plan for counteroffensive. I know their sponsors needed to hear the solid plan before they give the money, but can do it secretly.

Hypersonic

Statement from  the 3rd Assault Brigade that were send to help in the evacuation. They are proven elite Ukrainian force.

Supersonic

Avdiivka is temporary lost. Don't sweat too much over it.

In the meantime, 3 SU's are downed.

• Praise 1

Twincharged
On 2/17/2024 at 10:04 PM, Ender said:

When Russia assaulted Avdiivka somewhere in Oct, there's hardly any frontline changes, and we hear massive loss for Russia side. The frontline only starts change significantly only recently when Ukraine complained they are low on arty ammo and the sudden lack of funding from America. They are compensating the lack of arty ammo with more drones, and that was not enough. The change in commander chief I think was the last straw, the Russia took advantage of the low morale and disorganization of the new command structure and infighting (there are battalions loyal to Zaluzhyni, and Skysry needed to fix that)

I hope they regroup and re strategize. The current strategy is not working. Also they should stop announcing future plan for counteroffensive. I know their sponsors needed to hear the solid plan before they give the money, but can do it secretly.

I wouldn't lay it all on the US. Biden is already having a very hard fight with the GOP nuts.

It is an European land war and should have been European lead right from day one. It's a failure of the EU more than anything else. 

The whole bloody EU should have the ammo manufacturing capacity to literally flood Ukraine with shells. Unless they intend to wait till the Russian army is on their borders... then hold hands sing peace songs. 🙄

Every woke fella there likes to blame the US... but when shit hits the fan, they always expect the US to lead them out. 

Hypersonic
On 2/18/2024 at 9:43 AM, Playtime said:

I wouldn't lay it all on the US. Biden is already having a very hard fight with the GOP nuts.

It is an European land war and should have been European lead right from day one. It's a failure of the EU more than anything else. 

The whole bloody EU should have the ammo manufacturing capacity to literally flood Ukraine with shells. Unless they intend to wait till the Russian army is on their borders... then hold hands sing peace songs. 🙄

Every woke fella there likes to blame the US... but when shit hits the fan, they always expect the US to lead them out. 

It's more of the commitment to see things thru and not halfway stop at the time when Ukraine needed them most. The Biden administration promised that.

Czech prez said he found a way to get more arty ammo for Ukraine. And is working with partners for sponsors to deliver them to Ukraine.

Twincharged
On 2/18/2024 at 12:38 PM, Ender said:

It's more of the commitment to see things thru and not halfway stop at the time when Ukraine needed them most. The Biden administration promised that.

Czech prez said he found a way to get more arty ammo for Ukraine. And is working with partners for sponsors to deliver them to Ukraine.

Cannot blame Biden imo, even many in the gop also kenna screwed by their loony colleague deliberately holding up the aid bill. 

Suddenly find close to a million shells... that to me begs the question how ? No fault of the czech folks specifically, but Europe collectively should have done better. 

https://www.pravda.com.ua/eng/news/2024/02/17/7442341/

Hypersonic
On 2/18/2024 at 5:59 PM, Playtime said:

Hope its true

Better late than never. 

Twincharged
On 2/18/2024 at 9:43 AM, Playtime said:

Europe is the one that has to contend with a belligerent russia right next to their borders. But I guess in some EU nations, the citizens just don't prioritise spending on a faraway war vs their other needs, like education budget, healthcare budget plus financing the costs of the huge numbers of migrants landing on their shores.

EU countries are slowly bankrupting themselves with their woke policies. That's why right-wing parties are on the rise. The population is fed up.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1