Queuing to turn left into side road - signal lights or hazards?

superzhen

My nearby petrol station has a car wash that is quite popular, cars often queue until extend out onto the main road. 

I often see the cars who are queuing enter on their hazards instead of the left signal. 

Once, there was a row of 3 cars outside the station, all with their hazards on. The first car in the row also left a 2 car gap (presumably to not block the pedestrian walkway). Then another car drove up and unintentionally cut the queue and then quarrel ++. 

So should you in your left signal or your hazards in this scenario? 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Left signal. Cause you show intention of turning left and still moving.

hazard lights for me are strictly only when stationary. Cannot stand people putting on hazard lights when driving in poor weather. Bloody irritating. Cause the the left and right signals do not work. If they even bother to use them. 

rapid flashes of hazard lights are used by manufacturers for emergency brake. 

also cannot stand Malaysian hack of flashing brake lights. 

• Praise 9

11 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

Left signal. Cause you show intention of turning left and still moving.

hazard lights for me are strictly only when stationary. Cannot stand people putting on hazard lights when driving in poor weather. Bloody irritating. Cause the the left and right signals do not work. If they even bother to use them. 

rapid flashes of hazard lights are used by manufacturers for emergency brake. 

also cannot stand Malaysian hack of flashing brake lights. 

Yeah totally agree. Don't know who kay kiang suka suka use hazard lights.

• Haha! 1

If  queuing for car wash meaning a car is not moving most of the time while waiting, since a car is stationary, it is not wrong to switch on hazard lights. It is in fact safer for the last car to switch on hazard lights when queuing. 

• Praise 3

40 minutes ago, superzhen said:

My nearby petrol station has a car wash that is quite popular, cars often queue until extend out onto the main road. 

I often see the cars who are queuing enter on their hazards instead of the left signal. 

Once, there was a row of 3 cars outside the station, all with their hazards on. The first car in the row also left a 2 car gap (presumably to not block the pedestrian walkway). Then another car drove up and unintentionally cut the queue and then quarrel ++. 

Is this the SPC at bukit panjang opposite beacon primary / greenridge sec? Saw long long line of people waiting to wash their cars yesterday.

Suppose it's a common phenomenon on lunar new year eve everywhere in SG.

Definitely signal left. Hazard light is for hazards or stopped vehicle.

Why still have queue cutter? Granted there is a too big gap, but obviously there's a queue there. He/She should try that in malaysia and see what happens.

What's so special about the car wash? Other day cannot wash and must be done before cny?

Wash during cny will wash away your luck? Actually ppl are quite superstitious. LoL...

You wash car to keep it clean only what. No other meaning wan.

Anyway you can stop your car such that it is big enough for ppl to walk pass but not enough for a car to cut in. This is common sense what. Signal not necessary can be seen, might be blocked by other cars.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 4

Only this to say.

Don't learnt from our neighbour that turns on hazard light during heavy down pour. Unless one has stopped at the road shoulder. 

Many modern cars come with rear fog light which could be a better option for  better visibility. 

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, superzhen said:

If in the middle of the queue of cars, I no on lights. But it would be left signal first to join the queue initially. 

But if mine is last car, I on hazard lights cos I no moving for awhile and I not sure cars coming from behind me is blind in left or right eye so on hazard lights to be safer. 😂

If he/she totally blind to lights, then I go down to collect IC details and take photos. V mafan one. 

Seriously, it is perfect if every road users are not idiots but cos its not a perfect world, lights must on. As long as idiots see lights and stop/slow /queue etc. This is specifically for queue to wash cars on eve of LNY. 

Btw, I never wash car, I mean not on eve of holidays cos I hope it will not rain that day or next day. Yes, got pink panther cloud follow my car one. 

Touched anot? I sacrifice the beauty of my ride for no rain for all. 😜😁😂😂😂

Yada-ing.

Have a good CNY and stay safe. 

Cheers 

• Praise 2

If use hazards instead of the left signal

Then another car will drive up and unintentionally cut the queue and then quarrel ++. 

:D

I do something my MIL cannot do - listen!

3 hours ago, superzhen said:

• Praise 1

Signal light.

If harzard light on....

Please do not move the car.

To move the car, off the hazard light.

Change to signal light then move off after checking clear.

• Praise 2

3 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

If  queuing for car wash meaning a car is not moving most of the time while waiting, since a car is stationary, it is not wrong to switch on hazard lights. It is in fact safer for the last car to switch on hazard lights when queuing. 

It is wrong. Use left signal when momentarily (even long "moments") stationary for traffic congestion reasons. Use hazards only when stopped with intention of stopping indefinitely and not moving unless you decide to move off (in which case, off hazards, right signal, check clear and merge safely).

The distinction between being stationary because you choose to vs because of traffic conditions beyond ones control is significant even in law - you can be charged for idling in a stationary vehicle *except* when you're stationary for traffic reasons. 

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

It is wrong. Use left signal when momentarily (even long "moments") stationary for traffic congestion reasons. Use hazards only when stopped with intention of stopping indefinitely and not moving unless you decide to move off (in which case, off hazards, right signal, check clear and merge safely).

The distinction between being stationary because you choose to vs because of traffic conditions beyond ones control is significant even in law - you can be charged for idling in a stationary vehicle *except* when you're stationary for traffic reasons. 

Sigh …. All throw the theory out liao.. no wonder SRD so much business 

• Haha! 3

26 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

Signal light.

If harzard light on....

Please do not move the car.

To move the car, off the hazard light.

Change to signal light then move off after checking clear.

And again kayu who turn on hazards in heavy rain… wtf 

• Haha! 2

3 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

They can be wrong you know. 

If I am not wrong, BCs are taught at Bus Captain Development Centre (BCDC), when entering a bus bay, to on left signal, when they are stationary at a bus stop with passengers alighting or getting up, to on hazard light, and when leaving the bus bay, to on right signal, to show intention to other road users. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2