Ex-Shopee Employees Post Glassdoor Reviews Alleging Discrimination, Company Is Investigating

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Ex-Shopee-Employees-Give-Scathing-Review

Source: https://mustsharenews.com/ex-shopee-employees/

Ex-Shopee Employee’s Glassdoor Review Shared On Facebook

With the mega sale season upon us, many of us have taken advantage of the discounts on platforms like Shopee to purchase products that we’ve been eyeing.

shopee-allegations-3.jpg

Recently, however, it seems Shopee has also been in the limelight for the wrong reasons.

Earlier this week, Wake Up, Singapore published a compilation of accounts and glassdoor reviews from ex-Shopee employees.

Most of the reviews were scathing and revolved around themes such as sexism, discrimination, and toxic work culture.

In response to the allegations, Shopee published a statement stating that the company will be looking into these allegations. Shopee also reiterates its commitment to providing a safe workplace for its employees.

Reviews from ex-Shopee employees revolve around similar themes

On 25 Nov, the Wake Up, Singapore Facebook page shared a compilation of Glassdoor reviews apparently from ex-Shopee Employees.

The reviews were all rather scathing, with many of them revolving around similar themes.

shopee-allegations-5.jpg

These issues include sexism, discrimination, unprofessionalism, and toxic working culture.

Interestingly, many of these reviews also listed “high compensation” as one of the pros while working at Shopee.

However, they did include a disclaimer that this comes at the expense of employees’ personal time and health.

One review highlighted hiring manager’s discrimination during interview

One of the reviews was particularly scathing, as the reviewer claimed the hiring manager present at the interview he attended was extremely unprofessional.

shopee-allegations-2-1.jpg

The hiring manager allegedly brought up the interviewee’s race and used it as a yardstick to measure his potential.

At one point, the manager allegedly said “… historically speaking “your kind” is the least performing race in Shopee …”.

The review ends with the reviewer providing a stark reminder that if this was the level of professionalism at the point of recruitment, one can only imagine the possible standards junior employees are subjected to after they join the company.

Business developer at Shopee inhibited sexist tendencies

An anonymous testimony was also shared by Wake Up, Singapore Facebook page on 26 Nov.

This submission tells of a business developer in the company who constantly inhibited sexist tendencies.

On occasions, he referred to female subordinates as “slaves” and would regularly comment on their bodies.

shopee-allegations-1.jpg

The allegation also described the business developer to have stalked female candidates after interviews and would regularly get male staff in the office to comment on their appearances.

Shopee issues statement on Instagram

In response to the allegations compiled in the post, Shopee Singapore issued a statement on Instagram on Friday (26 Nov).

shopee-allegations-0.jpg

In the statement, Shopee says they take the allegations very seriously and will be conducting a thorough investigation into the matter.

They reiterate that they are committed to providing a safe workplace for all their employees.

Hope Shopee get to the bottom of allegations

Workplace harassment is a serious concern that needs to be brought up more in the workforce.

As power dynamics and politics come into play, companies should do more and open up channels for employees to air their grievances privately.

We hope Shopee will get to the bottom of these allegations — after all, it’s likely no coincidence that the reviews share common themes.

Oh No! Is Jackie Chan coming to the rescue?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Does any of these dudes ever read Glassdoor?

Every review for every company are posted by disgruntled employees.

EVERY company.

It is a big bitching cesspool.

You read them, you think that every company there is going to collapse in a few months. Obviously most are in reality highly profitable and decent places to work.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
1 minute ago, t0y0ta said:

EVERY company.

You read them, you think that every company there is going to collapse in a few months. Obviously most are in reality highly profitable and decent places to work.

hahaha. yah. i agree. even thou i never buy anything from shopee this black friday. 

i only bought diablo 2 resurrected using razer coins. 😂

from the look of it, the HR manager will probably get the sack for his racist comments

and rightfully so

never mind he's from China or a local Chinese

• Praise 1

Ultimately the company is linked to tencent which is china company and the big boss is from prc, coupled with the fact that bulk of manufacturers and vendors are in prc, so what do these reviewers expect? The work culture will definitely reflect tech company flavour, long hours and sweatshop environment. But they also provide amenities for employees working long hours and good salary, as some of the reviews acknowledged.

I worked in a jap company once and many of the internal docs from Japan hq are in their language, worse, last time no translation apps. Those who could read traditional chinese characters (kanji) had an easier time. But the company employs several Jap lady translators so I did not mind much [laugh] They are adept at jap, english and mandarin and sometimes sit in meetings where big shots are attending or HQ staff presenting, and they use japanese. 

Korean company like Hyundai is opening their big centre in the west side soon, do you join and expect the big bosses speak english to you and translate all their docs for you? Good luck strawberries and better sign up for those korean language classes at cc .

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 2

Shopee is a piece of shit company as far as I'm concerned. Their standard has gone right down the toilet with multiple failed deliveries by their contracted couriers Ninja and JnT to my landed home address (which should be trivially easy to locate). For some reason, Lazada orders using the same couriers always seem to arrive properly. But even worse, the refund/arbitration process following a failed delivery is much more agonising with Shopee than with any other vendor I've used regularly.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

Shopee is a piece of shit company as far as I'm concerned. Their standard has gone right down the toilet with multiple failed deliveries by their contracted couriers Ninja and JnT to my landed home address (which should be trivially easy to locate). For some reason, Lazada orders using the same couriers always seem to arrive properly. But even worse, the refund/arbitration process following a failed delivery is much more agonising with Shopee than with any other vendor I've used regularly.

I had the same problem with LZ recently that you describe and mine not even landed property [laugh]

The problem is due to their logistics subcon, same thing, multiple fail delivery then finally return to supplier and refunded me.

Must remember that nowadays the logistics is further subcon to all and sundry, part-timers etc. The most important last step is given to minimum wage workers so this is par for the course. Can't be helped. At least got refund.

• Haha! 1

6 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

EVERY company.

I did read Glassdoor about my previous company when I was still an employee there. What was written there was pretty true, some interns and ex-employees. Like nothing to do and need to find stuff to do to look hardworking and the invisible ceiling due to ang mo company. All very true!!!:D

1 hour ago, Adrianli said:

I did read Glassdoor about my previous company when I was still an employee there. What was written there was pretty true, some interns and ex-employees. Like nothing to do and need to find stuff to do to look hardworking and the invisible ceiling due to ang mo company. All very true!!!:D

Indeed it is true, even for the current company we are working with, isn't it? [laugh]

Yet, here we are soldering on. Every company and working environment has its upsides and downsides.

Depends if you can take it, and the good outweigh the bad for one's current situation in life, then it's acceptable.

Glass half empty or half full situation.

At least now there are sites like glassdoor. No need to spend some time in the staff toilet, listening out.

Previously someone advised me when going to a company for interview, after the interview, spend some time inside a cubicle of the staff toilet. Listen to the gossip and small talk of staff using the toilet... you will glean a lot of what's the real situation and culture in the company [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria
  • Haha! 3

4 hours ago, Hamburger said:

@Turboflat4 

Glad that I have not encountered any issue with shoppee delivery. 

Mass delivery in an assigned estate could be the difference. 

You mean mass delivery in an assigned estate makes it worse or better? Shouldn’t apply to turboflat4. He for sure lives in an “Ang Mo Chu” 😆

5 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Pls la

Ur estate machiam hog warts… jin many corner one😂😂

• Haha! 2

2 hours ago, RadX said:

Pls la

Ur estate machiam hog warts… jin many corner one😂😂

Yes. Sibei difficult to distinguish Avenue lah, Road lah, Close lah and even put unique 6 digit postal code into GPS and follow. KNN those poor poor things. 😂😂😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1