Inflation caused ALL prices to rise again, including Food

Wt_know

33 minutes ago, happy_man said:

"Welfare" is a dirty word in SG - The point is simple - SG exist not on others providing SGrean "Welfare".

Rather it is a fact others want SG to fail. So which would you prefer ? 😜

The problem is scale. Do we really want our gahmen to be the single biggest player in our economy?

↡ Advertisement

5 minutes ago, happy_man said:

Is that an economy or political question in the context of a "scale" of an island nation ?

Political question with economic implication... an entrepot trading island nation... we are not like major industrial economies most of our GDP is to do with trade rather than production

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, happy_man said:

Errr... "way over $100b" during pre COVID years?  You meant expenditure over last 3 years ?

https://www.mof.gov.sg/singaporebudget/budget-2021/revenue-and-expenditure

• 2019 (pre COVID) - S$75b
  • 2020 S$94b
  • 2021 S$102b

You read wrongly. I said it is way over during COVID years. But almost reach $100b in pre Covid years

But also u exclude special transfers which is also expenditure. Your own chart shows 2019 is $15b (total $90b). 2020 is $53.6b (total $147.6b). 2021 forecast $111b.

See ST actual figures: https://www.straitstimes.com/multimedia/graphics/2021/02/singapore-budget-revenue-and-spending-breakdown-2021/index.html?shell

9 minutes ago, happy_man said:

hmmm...You already partly have the ans liao - You acknowledge SG isn't like "major industrial economies"...

So what model do you expect our system to be based on aside from having state-based enterprises being our latest economy drivers ? Do you know what's the % of employment hired by Gov institutions ?

And since you put  Politics as front and center of economy policies - are you suggesting allowing privatisation to domainate SG ?  Aren't we being doing that with our sea ports, telecom, energy and financial sectors?

No it means that govt budget should be much smaller fraction of gdp than those industrialized countries. This always used to be the case. One because we have no welfare system. Two because most of our GDP actually isn't anything to do with our local economy, just trade. Now with latest figures you are arguing our expenditure should be on par? Without a welfare system, spend where? GST voucher? With so much of our GDP actually just passing trade that no one physically sees on the island?

5 minutes ago, happy_man said:

Oh me bad - you are correct. If include special transfers, definitely will be higher. Notice you mentioned 2019's $90b vs 2020 $147.6b ?

So tell us, where is that extra $50.6b going to in 2020 ? Welfare and entertainment ? 😜

U forgot the whole point of this is to say that giant island coastal plan is just a small fraction of govt budget. $1b/year. 2019 budget $90b. Whats your point

Edit: my pt is that gahmen getting addicted to being able to direct such large sums of money in our econ and will only get worse thanks to gst hike while for all their benefits they claim to give, we are seeing it wiped away in one fell swoop by inflation. So we should scrutinize this much harder

Edited by yishunite
  • Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, happy_man said:

Does not show those 2 points you share shows that SG is not some normal "major industrial economies" ?  The fact remains our GDP is highly dependent on trade, rather than domestic driven. How is that simple FACT going to change SG's economy policies and budget regardless of COVID or not?

So tell me - since u complain gov is too "big a player" in SG. What's your alternative ?

Govt revert its expenditure-gdp ratio to 2017-9 levels

3 minutes ago, happy_man said:

Errr...you seems confused - This is an investment, not a normal expenditure - for a long term Climate-Change infra investment with budgetary stretched over multi-decades with cost of over S$100b including inflation...all these with unknown future revenue source can continue to flow...Hence the prudence in spending "small fraction" at $5b per year over next 50 years.  This isn't your some "special expenditure" spending hor...this is about our future gen. 

I am starting to notice - Your comment about national expendition and development  is very unlike SGrean, which we tend to be more Kiasu and Kuasi when comes to spending on survival on the long term.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/singapore-budget-2020-new-coastal-and-flood-protection-fund-to-protect-singapore-against

The fact that in a true emergency gahmen can simply make $50bn appear tells me we dont need to worry so much

But prudence from our 1st gen leadership that dont anyhow spend is loss on this gen... why you say this is unlike singaporean

• Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, happy_man said:

For the record, I am local SGrean and fully aware of how much of my tax$ is spend on defense and education...and now the extra $ needed against climate change.  So tell me how is that  "unlike Singaporean" ?

I am curious, what type "true emergency" you are referring ? I am assuming now that you are not a SGrean since you complain about SG economy 😝

Covid19 lol

I am done with you bye

12 minutes ago, happy_man said:

LOL! I know...that's why I reminded you why over 200,000 M'sian wanna stay in SG during this "emergency" since MCO was imposed on 18 Mar 2020....I can understand why you continue to avoid stating if you are SGrean or not. Choice is yours.😜

u sound so childish. Sorry to say i have pink ic (meaning I am singaporean since birth... pink ic since pri6 in case u wanna kpkb the phrase I use like little kid)

Welcome to my ignored list!

Edited by yishunite
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

19 hours ago, RH1667 said:

Slowly but surely taking back the whole chicken 

+ kicap to make soya sauce chicken ... lol

• Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, AndrewLee72 said:

ERP - Halo not yet open ALL hor! The going in CBD de gantries haven't ON yet !!!

CBD gantries when on again sure increase price also?!

basket sia.

just receive an invoice. follow it come a notice to inform me online advertisement  need to be charge gst from this month onward by order iras

🤢

• Shocked 1

On 2/10/2022 at 7:30 PM, RH1667 said:

Slowly but surely taking back the whole chicken 

This is just sharpening the knife only, havent slash you yet…..heh hehe

• Shocked 1

11 hours ago, Throttle2 said:

This is just sharpening the knife only, havent slash you yet…..heh hehe

Ok boss . Let’s see how much more they want to squeeze peasants 😥

My only concern is why my favorite fishball noddle went from $4 to $4.50 even before GST increase? :yuush:

That's definitely way beyond 2%.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2