James May properly drives his new Toyota Mirai for the first time.

kobayashiGT

(edited)

18 minutes ago, Mooose said:

yes, its easier with the infrastructure of hydrogen filling stations ..

haha sorry but i meant a hydrogen fuel cell car was harder to own vs an electric car in the sense that for an electric car, there is the option of charging it at home (say at night) but no similar option for the hydrogen fuel cell car ..

More than 85% of us stay in high-rise apartments with shared car parks. Unless one-third of car park lots have charging ports, its not gonna be easy also. 

With FCEV, we run it like a normal fossil fueled car, run out of juice, just stop and top up, PROVIDED there are enough hydrogen pumping stations.

As a casual observer, it seems that EU is the main driving force for electrification. They may well be barking up the wrong environmental tree, just like how they pushed for diesel not too long ago and made a U-turn. Lets see what unfolds in the next decade. 

Edited by Toeknee_33
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Mooose said:

true this, because of the cost of doing up the infrastructure ..

we take things like having constant electricity supplies for granted, but even some asean countries do not have 3-phase electricity throughout their country yet .. can see the many electricity wires from posts all over .. and there are brown-outs, electricity cuts from time to time for various reasons like storm or what ..

so yes, petrol and diesel (or ethanol or whatever combo) will still stay for a long time ..

What you described sounds like Indochina.

Thailand is moving towards EV hub of Asean.

Indonesia plans toward EV.

Malaysia has no plan yet.  But it is the only country in Asean with zero tax on EV.  EV sold in Msia could be cheapest in the region.

• Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Malaysia has no plan yet.  But it is the only country in Asean with zero tax on EV.  EV sold in Msia could be cheapest in the region.

I was thinking of a South Asian country, which is also the world's 5th largest car market. How to electrify in a jiffy?

1 minute ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I was thinking of a South Asian country, which is also the world's 5th largest car market. How to electrify in a jiffy?

That country can never get anything right.  Let's see how Tesla performs there.

On the other hand, China could be the biggest driving force of EV.

7 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

lets see what happens to the big announcements to go EV .. saying and it materialising are different hahaha ..

anyway as an aside, thailand moving towards EV hub also has to do with their car manufacturing facilities, all the car companies with assembly plants there like mercedes, bmw and volvo are already doing PHEVs .. whilst the japanese car makers are doing a combination of PHEVs and hybrids .. but doing full EVs are imho another step with huge infrastructure costs required for charging stations and so on ..

we see much of bangkok and the surrounding areas and all looks feasible for charging stations and so on (so long as there are funds to build the infrastructure_, but out in the provinces, i am not too sure ..  

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Mooose said:

lets see what happens to the big announcements to go EV .. saying and it materialising are different hahaha ..

anyway as an aside, thailand moving towards EV hub also has to do with their car manufacturing facilities, all the car companies with assembly plants there like mercedes, bmw and volvo are already doing PHEVs .. whilst the japanese car makers are doing a combination of PHEVs and hybrids .. but doing full EVs are imho another step with huge infrastructure costs required for charging stations and so on ..

we see much of bangkok and the surrounding areas and all looks feasible for charging stations and so on (so long as there are funds to build the infrastructure_, but out in the provinces, i am not too sure ..  

Upcountry will be difficult as most of them uses pickup.

With high torque requirement of pickup, FCEV will have a difficult shoe to fill.

Likely to be diesel for the foreseeable future.

• Haha! 1

Honestly, as a petrolhead, I am not looking forward to electrified cars, be it BEV or FCEV. 

One of the main joys of driving, to me at least, is interacting with that lump of metal parts moving up and down, left and right, round and round, with explosions thrown in for good measure (aka internal combustion engine). The sound, the emotion and the vibes when a good engine is revved out. That is motoring nirvana. The engine is a main source of pleasure.

In a BEV or FCEV, yes, there is the tremendous torque and performance and all that, BUT, how do you tell one electric motor from another?

• Praise 4

Just now, Toeknee_33 said:

Honestly, as a petrolhead, I am not looking forward to electrified cars, be it BEV or FCEV. 

One of the main joys of driving, to me at least, is interacting with that lump of metal parts moving up and down, left and right, round and round, with explosions thrown in for good measure (aka internal combustion engine). The sound, the emotion and the vibes when a good engine is revved out. That is motoring nirvana. The engine is a main source of pleasure.

In a BEV or FCEV, yes, there is the tremendous torque and performance and all that, BUT, how do you tell one electric motor from another?

In addition, it is sad that our car mod is getting narrower by the day.

As petrolhead, we need good sounding aftermarket exhaust.  Not those muffled stock one (You might disagree with this😁)

• Haha! 1

3 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

That's the reason why I'll hold on to my ICE car for as long as I can

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

23 minutes ago, SiLangKia said:

especially cars with "ungreen" engines 😂

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, SiLangKia said:

Yes, time to splurge on a v8 4L car before all these goes away :D

• Haha! 2

7 hours ago, Mooose said:

especially cars with "ungreen" engines 😂

V8s FTW!!!!

6 hours ago, Yeshe said:

Yes, time to splurge on a v8 4L car before all these goes away :D

omg yes I'm all for V8s, love the corvettes with the LS3 6.2V8 and the 5.0 Mustangs

6 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

@SiLangKia You don't bluff! You renew your COE for 5 years only right!

previous owner hot not me, when i bought left 4+ years, if is me cfm renew 10 years one, gonna look for another similar car and continue driving this!

• Haha! 3