Southern Islands Day Trip 2020

Adrianli

Been looking at the various Youtubes and blogs on trips to the Southern Islands(St John's, Lazarus & Kusu) which are accessible by ferry or ownself charter boats. Decided to check it out since stuck in SG with the borders closed. Went online and checked for ferry ticket prices, no need to charter boats. There are 2 ferry companies operating daily trips to the islands. If you purchase direct from them, it cost $15 per person, to and fro. Checked out Klook, they were offering $14 per person + free $3 Gong Cha voucher. So made the obvious choice and went with Klook.

On the day of departure, took the MRT to Marina South Pier. The Klook "counter" is at level 2 of the pier. Actually its just two small tables and two chairs for the staff near the staircase. Show the online purchase receipt and they pass you the tickets. Easy peasy.

There are various ferry departure timing to choose from but the earliest for weekday was 10am which we selected. We reached the pier at 9.30am, collected the tickets and the staff told us can board liao. Went to the departure gate and immediately boarded the ferry. There were lots of ppl, surprising for a weekday. Once ferry was full, free seating, the ferry left. It was not even the timing of departure. The journey there took about 20 mins. Arrived at St John's Island at 10am sharp!!! 

48088459_StJohnIsland001.thumb.jpg.a4523ee7d50c20fab868845e93753e55.jpg

269637415_StJohnIsland002.thumb.jpg.6acf0fddfcb66a3fa3a223deec5b216b.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 17

St John's island is pretty big but the accessible areas to public is only restricted to the shoreline. So I took out my drone and flew up to have a look.

• Praise 17

After walking around, we decided to head to Lazarus island which is linked to St John's island by a causeway. Many ppl headed to Lazarus beach for its nice white sandy beach. Lots of yacht anchored off there too. We settled for a spot for a picnic lunch. After lunch, I flew my drone again.

• Praise 14

Decided to be more adventurous with the drone and decided to fly it from Lazarus beach to Kusu island.

And took an aerial video of Kusu island.

Edited by Adrianli
  • Praise 11

Spent some time sitting on Lazarus beach and watch ppl going about their beach activities. Many ppl swimming, playing Frisbee, camping and picnic like us. Surprised by the number of ppl there. There were no stalls or shops on the islands. Have to bring your own food. Soon we made our way back to the pier to catch the 2.45pm ferry to Kusu island to have a look. Long queue at the pier so better to go early. The ferry service is non-stop, once full, they leave and have to wait for the next one. About 15mins wait, so not too bad lah.

Kusu island is like nothing much to see except for the temple and a malay "temple" called Dato Gong at the top of the hill, at least 8 levels high of steps. Regret climbing all the way up cos nothing much interesting to me. 

1805735873_KusuIsland.thumb.jpg.7c4f5f453bd203b7b58152745f3f003d.jpg

Took the last ferry, 4pm and back to SG island. What a nice way to spend the day exploring the Southern islands. I know I will not be back soon thou.:XD:

• Praise 13
  • Haha! 3

Thanks for the information.  

How are the toilet facilities there?  Are they clean/convenient for small kids?  Any food stall or simple restaurants there?  I believe must bring own  lunch.

• Praise 1

6 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

How are the toilet facilities there?  Are they clean/convenient for small kids?  Any food stall or simple restaurants there?  I believe must bring own  lunch.

No facility

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

St John's island got one toilet, clean with shower facilities. 

Lazarus island also got one toilet. But not sure the condition. Only went to St John's island one.

No food stalls or shop. Bring your own food and drinks.

• Praise 4

4 minutes ago, Beregond said:

i only want to ask, got wear mask and social distancing and group of not more then 5 there??

😂😂

joking, enjoy your holiday😁

Ya, got wear mask and social distance. Got park rangers walking around. Also got cleaners working.

But swimming, playing at beach and eating, no mask. Those anglers, many of them, whole body covered up like ninja with cap and sunglasses till cannot tell whether Indian, Chinese or Malay. Only know that they are human.:D

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 9

21 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Can bring your pet dog along too. Kids can bring their kick scooter.

We went last year end Nov. Nothing much there except for the clean beach.

• Praise 5

Just now, Voodooman said:

The water looks clear and beaches look nice.  Thanks for sharing.

Indeed, water is very clear. Can see from my aerial view. Very good for swimming.

• Praise 6

1 hour ago, Adrianli said:

St John's island is pretty big but the accessible areas to public is only restricted to the shoreline. So I took out my drone and flew up to have a look.

Wah!! Very nice!!!

1 hour ago, Adrianli said:

During the flight, noticed a yacht ran aground and was beached on Lazarus island.

153334114_StJohnIsland003.thumb.jpg.ac852dc69c17993c622e389a5959d896.jpg

wah lau.... better complain.... how can anyhowly put an island there just like that one..... yatch very expensive one leh...

• Haha! 3

30 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

@Adrianli So where is your next SGdiscover trip? hahaha. looking forward to your next post!

This one cannot use Rediscover SG voucher hor. Paid full cash with my CC.

I have been rediscovering SG in my Brompton foldable bicycle every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Thinking of ways to enjoy my holidays.

Have to wait till border open.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5