49 cases of fallen windows

Kb27

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/fallen-windows-49-cases-2020-bca-hdb-corrosion-maintenance-13750762

49 cases of fallen windows in the first 11 months of this year

SINGAPORE: There were 49 cases of fallen windows across Singapore between January and November this year, the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) said in a joint media release with the Housing and Development Board (HDB) on Friday (Dec 11). 

Thirty-two of these involved casement windows, or windows with a side that is hinged to a frame.

Sixteen cases were of fallen sliding windows, while the remaining incident involved louvre windows or those with horizontal panels.

No injuries were reported from these incidents, said the agencies.

The number of cases reported in the first 11 months of this year is not far from the 51 incidents in the whole of 2019.

“Over the past few years, the number of fallen window cases we see yearly remains at about 50 cases. While there has not been an increase in numbers, there has also not been any improvement," said BCA’s director of facade engineering and technology department Lee Chee Weye. 

BCA said the key causes of fallen casement windows included corrosion in aluminium rivets in casement window fittings. "Corrosion compromises the strength of the rivets, rendering it unable to hold the casement window panels firmly in place," said the agency.

Since 2004, a retrofitting order issued by BCA requires home owners to replace all aluminium rivets in casement windows with stainless steel ones.

In the case of fallen sliding windows, investigations showed that there was a lack of proper safety stoppers and angle strips to keep panels within the tracks.

"Sliding window panels without these safety features in place detached and fell when homeowners applied excessive outward force in opening or closing the windows," BCA added.

Home owners can face a penalty of up to S$5,000 and/or a jail term of up to six months for failing to replace all aluminium rivets in casement windows with stainless steel ones.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 2
  • Sad 1

My aluminum ladder rivets were corroded and broke, and I replaced them with stainless steel bolt/nut.

This happens probably after 20 years. So if you have an old apartment, you should at the rivets.

• Praise 1

My windows crash frequently for no reason (I got hurt before 😞 )

....I mean my Windows 10 on my computer 😂

• Haha! 6

Ironically this also applies to landed properties with upper floors.

Always tell my wife no need open windows, every time she open sure got bugs fly in and she'll go screaming for my help.

tenor.gif?itemid=4655902

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Most important question to be asked: Can sue HDB or not?

Cannot sue HDB lar as a law already passed stating that Home owners can face a penalty of up to S$5,000 and/or a jail term of up to six months for failing to replace all aluminium rivets in casement windows with stainless steel ones.

9 hours ago, 13177 said:

Where to find the expert to come check the health condition of your windows ah? 😂

Be careful hoh.. my mum kenna BIG $$$ from these expert.. those screw/rivet cost like diamond..

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Be careful hoh.. my mum kenna BIG $$$ from these expert.. those screw/rivet cost like diamond..

Thats why must ask the guru here got any lobang or not lo. 😅 Cause dont want ended up paying diamond prices. 

2 hours ago, Ody_2004 said:

Many donkey years back (must be over 15-20  years back) when they came up with the law on SS rivets , my condo did a joint contract with one contractor so it was a little cheaper at about $300 (approximately.. not cheap also back then) ...... come to think of it I cant remember exactly what they did also as I was overseas when the guys came in and my Mom did not know anything much too     

• Praise 2

15 hours ago, 13177 said:

Where to find the expert to come check the health condition of your windows ah? 😂

You can DIY inspect yourself. Look at the all pop rivets. If the front is there but the back is missing, that rivet is useless. Or if the back looks corroded, have rust, and has white powder, that rivet is probably going to break.

To change it out, need to remove the rivet, with a drill/bit. Use stainless steel M4, or M5 bolt and nut, depending on the hole size.

Even if you find one bad rivet, it might probably save a life, from a falling window.

2 hours ago, Kb27 said:

You can DIY inspect yourself. Look at the all pop rivets. If the front is there but the back is missing, that rivet is useless. Or if the back looks corroded, have rust, and has white powder, that rivet is probably going to break.

To change it out, need to remove the rivet, with a drill/bit. Use stainless steel M4, or M5 bolt and nut, depending on the hole size.

Even if you find one bad rivet, it might probably save a life, from a falling window.

Why not stainless steel rivets? 

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Why not stainless steel rivets? 

Based on bad experience with aluminum ladder with corroded pop rivets. The front may look good, but the back was corroded and broken off.

The reason is the hollow body pop rivet which has minimal material and breaks off easily. If you have a bolt with full metal body, it is unlikely to break off. Even solid rivet is good, but the cheap ones always use pop rivet.

rivf.jpg

rivb.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3