Family of three electrocuted to death at Taman Jurong

Raubern

4 hours ago, Mustank said:

I kena eleyricu a few times liao 

each time the circuit box saved me 

maybe i die alreasy but don’t know :grin:

I tio a few times while doing self-repair too

but the ELCB never once trip, despite tested to be ok

maybe my skin too thick or fat too much, not enough leakage for it to trip.... : )

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

On 12/11/2020 at 4:53 PM, Kb27 said:

Test your ELCB or RCCB regularly.

Push the button and the switch should dropped and electricity cut off.

James should test it daily when his mil is bathing

I'm staying in an old condo with all 3 toilets with those storage type of water tanks. 

It takes a longer time to heat up the water compared to instant heater but after so many cases (and some the sharing here), I'm just glad I got that instead.

On 12/12/2020 at 11:31 AM, 13177 said:

The news article got mentioned they have stay there for 50 years. If they are the first owner until now, condition of the flat might not be good if no upgrade.

if flat is 50 yr old, then high chance that HDB would have done upgrading like LUP, re-wiring, maybe add in new utility room/toilet and re-do toilets... my flat only 36 yr only, already did most of these... 

or could it be done before, but it's already deteriorated 2nd round?

• Praise 1

I used to stay in this block and my mum is currently still living there. RIP to my secondary schoolmate...

I believe the tragedy can be avoided if they periodically get a LEW to check their home electrical system and area where moisture persist, e.g bathroom, kitchen and electrical point near to windows.

Recently, I engaged a LEW to check my 6 years old BTO home. He found out that one of the instant water heater in one of the bathroom is using those black / red wire without any earth lead to connect to the electrical source. He make a change of the wiring with the correct type of cable and thickness gauge.

Lesson learnt from him is that most these hardware stores outsource their installation to workers from the north of this country without any certification or knowledge in electrical installation.

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 4
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, Mustank said:

I kena eleyricu a few times liao 

each time the circuit box saved me 

maybe i die alreasy but don’t know :grin:

Better renew the circuit box.  Too many times,  the circuit box could be internally "injured".

• Shocked 1

On 12/11/2020 at 8:37 PM, Somewhat1975 said:

Most of the time, the conduction of electricity from heater to user is not through the water, but through the metallic water pipe and water tube. Thus, where u install the heater does not matter much.

that is why the new water heater comes with plastic water tube and the water inlet is also isolated with a plastic valve

5d411f7713682.jpeg

Now I worry,  I change to metal. 
Looks like i need to upgrade by putting plastic in-between. 

Many non-scientific claims here.

I do not profess to be an expert here, but please get licensed electricians to advise rather than forum posters.

Having plastic valves and casings does not help if the heating element or the wiring insultation is gone.

Moisture and water will conduct the current that is sufficient to stop your heart.

The heater ELCB or the household ELCB is the only item preventing such an event

Hence make sure it works, and do not skim on the heater or its replacements

• Praise 7

17 minutes ago, Sturtles said:

Many non-scientific claims here.

I do not profess to be an expert here, but please get licensed electricians to advise rather than forum posters.

Having plastic valves and casings does not help if the heating element or the wiring insultation is gone.

Moisture and water will conduct the current that is sufficient to stop your heart.

The heater ELCB or the household ELCB is the only item preventing such an event

Hence make sure it works, and do not skim on the heater or its replacements

This link gives some info.

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/twin-faults-led-boys-fatal-electrocution-while-showering

Hi KK,

Again, I just wish readers who are worried about issues with their heater will consult a qualified electrician, and test their ELCB regularly.

The protection devices did not kick in, as they are either poorly installed, or faulty.

No equipment lasts forever, and you may not want you nor your close ones, or even others to die when it happens.

Reporters are not engineers nor scientists.

Why is the floor wet? How does the water get heated up in the first place?

The loop is already completed the moment heated water touches you, and trickles to the floor, regardless you are wearing rubber shoes, holding rubber hoses, twisting a plastic knob.

A plastic kettle is safer than a steel one, but for instant heaters, there is no discernible difference.

To each, his own, but hopefully not mislead with hear-say, as it may cause misery somewhere else.

• Praise 4

19 hours ago, Xers007 said:

When doing electrical repair work, best is to insulate your feet with rubber to avoid direct contact with the ground... 

for my home electrical works, I will do it in daytime so I can switch off the CB.

Seems like electricity is still running even when the wall switches are off.

4 hours ago, Sturtles said:

Hi KK,

Again, I just wish readers who are worried about issues with their heater will consult a qualified electrician, and test their ELCB regularly.

The protection devices did not kick in, as they are either poorly installed, or faulty.

No equipment lasts forever, and you may not want you nor your close ones, or even others to die when it happens.

Reporters are not engineers nor scientists.

Why is the floor wet? How does the water get heated up in the first place?

The loop is already completed the moment heated water touches you, and trickles to the floor, regardless you are wearing rubber shoes, holding rubber hoses, twisting a plastic knob.

A plastic kettle is safer than a steel one, but for instant heaters, there is no discernible difference.

To each, his own, but hopefully not mislead with hear-say, as it may cause misery somewhere else.

stop your nonsense lah. You think the manufacturer invented those features for fun?  and they don't have qualified personnel to advise them on the design?  On the boy case, do you think the State Coroner is so dumb who cannot carry out a proper investigation? 

This is a proper installation guideline from the Malaysia govt, which was by the Work Group on Water Heater Systems under the authority of the Energy Commission of Malaysia.  https://www.st.gov.my/en/contents/publications/guidelines_electricity/2017/Guideline for The Design Installation Inspection Testing Operation and Maintenance of Water Heater Systems.pdf

see what is their requirement for the hose-"It shall not be conductive"

image.png.d30d615d09effccc51e7ffb345f4256b.png

On the contrary to the general perception, water is a lousy conductor. The tap water has a conductivity of 0.05S/m. The stainless steel has a conductivity of 1,000,000 S/m, 100 million times better to conduct electricity compared to water. With a hose length of 1m, the resistance can achieve  1 M Ohm, leading to a leakage current of only 0.24mA, not enough to electrocute a human

some real cases happened in Malaysia

image.png.a6af18ecfe805a01b6ec0c76c91b0d66.png

whatever type of water heater you use, make sure the pipe or hose is not metallic.

image.thumb.png.4017516a21bfea76a05967bd39882327.png

Edited by Somewhat1975

2 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

for my home electrical works, I will do it in daytime so I can switch off the CB.

Seems like electricity is still running even when the wall switches are off.

Most likely part of the wiring is tap to the wiring of another MCB, meaning electricity from 2 MCB.

Thank you for sharing @Somewhat1975.

The link was a good read.

Indeed, with a plastic hose and shower fitting, the risk from direct electric shock from holding an energised metal part is reduced, and the same could be said for electric shaver, hair dryer and so on.

However, in all cases, the ELCB failed to trip, due to defects or because it was incorrectly sized - 100mA trip current instead of the recommended 10mA.

I hope you would agree that having a certified electrician doing the works, as well as having regular ELCB tests is the right way forward to avoid mishaps and incidents.

Storage heaters supply bathwater through copper pipes, and they exit through stainless steel faucets.

I am not certain the the insulated fittings proposal is mandated for them. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2