Family of three electrocuted to death at Taman Jurong

Raubern

Supercharged

Actually how many HDB household actually uses a heater switch for their instant water heater?

Is it common? 

↡ Advertisement

2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

My in law's place had upgrading last year. They drew another power line to bring to the toilet for the instant heater.

yes, very old house usually dun have separate line for water heater i think, just wondering if the built-in elcb in the instant water heater helps?

3 hours ago, Playtime said:

In the old days... you dont pour... you put the kettle or pot into the bucket of cold water,  the water is heated up, the boiled water can still use for drink, make tea or whatever. 

This is a good idea

I will put the kettle into my MIL bathtub.

I assume still plug into the wall and switched on to heat up the water?

Maybe can also save electricity putting the toaster in the bathtub too?

:D

image.png.a8b249b787fda2e212720bb2cde599df.png

image.thumb.png.99569ad2c0b0b577ce3eaa1d559daefc.png

1.jpg.fabd69586aa24e0a51848365432eaffc.jpg

• Haha! 5

4 minutes ago, Starry said:

Actually how many HDB household actually uses a heater switch for their instant water heater?

Is it common? 

After that CNA video, then i know instant heater cannot connect to a 3 pin plug socket. Now then i realised at my parents old house, the instant heater was connected to a 3 pin plug, luckily never got electrocuted when using it back then. So i guess during that time, the heater was installed by an unlicense electrician. 

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Gunzy said:

yes, very old house usually dun have separate line for water heater i think, just wondering if the built-in elcb in the instant water heater helps?

Unless the owner rewire the whole house electrical wire, and separate one line for the water heater. But if the owner wants to install storage heater, think it is a must to have a separate line for it, even the house does not have one.

14 minutes ago, Starry said:

Is it common? 

I do, but I just forgot my knowledge if this is HBD requirement for the LEW to sign. I may need to go back and check

7 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

This is a good idea

I will put the kettle into my MIL bathtub.

I assume still plug into the wall and switched on to heat up the water?

Maybe can also save electricity putting the toaster in the bathtub too?

:D

image.png.a8b249b787fda2e212720bb2cde599df.png

image.thumb.png.99569ad2c0b0b577ce3eaa1d559daefc.png

1.jpg.fabd69586aa24e0a51848365432eaffc.jpg

you can use this to save some electricity...tell you MIL is 100% safe ..

won't get electrocuted  

outdoor-bath-heated-with.jpg

• Haha! 4

14 minutes ago, Starry said:

Is it common? 

I thought all hdb come default with heater switches, at least my 24 yrs old flat came with both at the mbr n kitchen, paiseh lost touch liao very long nvr move house... wahaha!

Supercharged
On 3/12/2022 at 2:59 PM, Ender said:

“The plug itself supports up to 13 amps. The heater uses, let’s say 14 amps. That means the plug itself will have to work even harder to fulfil that 14 amps, but the limit for that plug is only 13 amps. It gets hot because it works even harder, and that’s why the wire burns,” he explained. 

"The regulation has always been to use a heater switch."

On the above, the 3-pin plug has a 13A fuse inside right?  If 14 amps run through it, wouldn't the fuse breaks and cut off the electricity at the plug? 

Just wondering.......

3 minutes ago, Starry said:

On the above, the 3-pin plug has a 13A fuse inside right?  If 14 amps run through it, wouldn't the fuse breaks and cut off the electricity at the plug? 

Just wondering.......

The way you quote, is like I say one...LOL

• Haha! 2

3 hours ago, 13177 said:

How come your rice cooker tripped at 4am? The rice cooker power is on?

When I examined the rice cooker, some part of it has corroded. You know when you use water to cook rice, sometimes small amount may spill out, but this went into the rice cooker electrical parts. JHE, unknown brand cooker, better not to buy.

The corrosion (with the neutral wire) could have edge towards the earth wire. Then somehow create an electrical path, and that tripped the RCCB. The rice cooker is not powered on, but a neutral wire touching an earth wire will trip the breaker.

• Praise 3

31 minutes ago, Cheesey74 said:

I thought all hdb come default with heater switches, at least my 24 yrs old flat came with both at the mbr n kitchen, paiseh lost touch liao very long nvr move house... wahaha!

HDB with default heater switches should be those newly built HDB. Old HDB dont think have.

7 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

When I examined the rice cooker, some part of it has corroded. You know when you use water to cook rice, sometimes small amount may spill out, but this went into the rice cooker electrical parts. JHE, unknown brand cooker, better not to buy.

The corrosion (with the neutral wire) could have edge towards the earth wire. Then somehow create an electrical path, and that tripped the RCCB. The rice cooker is not powered on, but a neutral wire touching an earth wire will trip the breaker.

So it mean for electrical applicances, even it is not powered on, it might still can tripped off the RCCB? Or even have risk to electrocuted a person?

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Lala81 said:

My in law's place had upgrading last year. They drew another power line to bring to the toilet for the instant heater.

That's the right way. Lay another set of power lines from the breaker. But that cost more, which people try to save.

So they end up tapping from the nearest wire, which may overload those wires.

The same thing happened in car electrical. People want to install power hungry amps and whatnot. The cheap way is to tap onto existing wires, which cause them to overload sometime in the future. And car burst into flames. Car electrical accident is more obvious, bcuz it runs on low voltage DC, so the same powered device use more current, which means more heat, unless the wires are upgraded.

There were talks of moving from 12Vdc to a higher 48Vdc. but till today, nothing much has changed. Higher voltage means lower current, and the wires can be thinner.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 3

Just now, Mustank said:

Just buy from Lazada Panasonic shop lor

they got arrange for installation

https://s.lazada.sg/s.0COWF

明门正派 one won’t anyhow recommend installer one 

1754015D-7A64-44D8-92AD-333D9D0CE42B.png

Next time I get Steven Chia to install. I saw in his video, he installed the Storage heater perfectly with much approval from the license eletrician.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3