Family of three electrocuted to death at Taman Jurong

Raubern

1 hour ago, 13177 said:

Best is to go back to the good old days using water directly from the tap. And if want hot water, just boil using kettle and then pour into the bucket and shower. 😂

POUR into the bucket?

In the old days... you dont pour... you put the kettle or pot into the bucket of cold water,  the water is heated up, the boiled water can still use for drink, make tea or whatever. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

46 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

This is the big problem here. Although electrician is responsible, the cost of the work is being 'pushed down' by cheap labour by competitors. Most times, it is just a worker carrying on behalf of the electrician. 

everything in sg come with a price....

want licensed electrician to do? I know of someone getting one to trouble-shoot household power-trip at night (casued by a kettle or some appliance), cost $800. yeah really done by the licensed worker one..... 😆

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

Licensed electrician cost 100% more than an unlicensed electrician. But the one doing the work is also not the one with the licence. It’s the ah nehs.

Good luck getting licensed electrician for house reno. Most, if not all, are bo license wan. 

Thats why i got my own contractor to do. Think my id buay song me. lol.

• Haha! 1

45 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

The cna video is indeed very informative. I wont wanna save money on hiring some unlicensed electrician or plumber.

Yap. Very informative indeed. I realized my central heater has no pressure release valve. KNS. Fortunately my temperature setting is always at the middle and we always switch it off after shower. 

Edited by Rayleigh
  • Praise 4
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Kb27 said:

Recently my RCCB tripped in the middle of the night at 4am. Damn..I had to wake up, half groggy and find out where is the culprit.

It's a good thing it worked, but I had the awful job of isolating which circuit is causing the problem. Internal to the house is one RCCB. External is another RCCB, which belongs to the authorities. Sometimes the external RCCB also tripped. You have to check both.

So I started troubleshooting by shutting down all the MCBs (individual miniature circuit breakers), then turn each one on, one at a time, until I find the MCB that is causing the problem, and tripped the RCCB. RCCB is like the master and the MCBs are the slaves. Only the RCCB detects leakage current, the MCB does not. Leakage current is caused by a live or neutral wire with compromised insulation, leaking a very small amount of current to the earth. RCCB detects this, and tripped.

So I determined MCB no. 4 is causing the problem, I went around to find out which power sockets run off MCB 4. I had earlier labelled every power outlet with a number that correspond to the MCB. So it was easy to find the power sockets causing the problem was in the kitchen. Without the labelling, I would have to hunt around the whole house, bedrooms, living rooms, etc.

So the kitchen was it, I then further isolate the appliance which happens to be a rice cooker. After removing it, I can turn back the RCCB and go back to sleep.

My point is, when the circuits are in normal condition, use the MCB and find out which power sockets belong to which MCB. Then label on the socket and the corresponding MCB with a number or identifier. So when the ELCB or RCCB decides to trip, esp. in the middle of night (for no reason), it will make your loss of electricity much less harrowing. 😀

If the culprit was the water heater, at least you can shut it down, until you get it fixed, but still be able to use electricity in the meantime.

How come your rice cooker tripped at 4am? The rice cooker power is on?

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

Licensed electrician cost 100% more than an unlicensed electrician. But the one doing the work is also not the one with the licence. It’s the ah nehs.

So the one doing the work still unlicensed? Only the one giving eye power is licensed?

• Sad 1
  • Haha! 2

8 minutes ago, Rayleigh said:

Yap. Very informative indeed. I realized my central heater has no pressure release valve. KNS. Fortunately my temperature setting is always at the middle and we always switch it off after shower. 

Best is to off the storage heater during showering. To reduce any chance of getting electrocute.

• Praise 1

In the video, that licenced electrician said 9 out of 10 electrician are unlicensed.

But if I engaged his company to do electrical work, the ones that come to do are the Ah nehs which are probably not licenced too. He will probably come look see only.

• Haha! 2

40 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

My in law's place had upgrading last year. They drew another power line to bring to the toilet for the instant heater.

yeah... during mine, pay a few hundred to lay new line, plus upgrade the DB in my store room.

but come to think of it.... dont think i ever received the testing certificate.....

Edited by Playtime
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

In the video, that licenced electrician said 9 out of 10 electrician are unlicensed.

But if I engaged his company to do electrical work, the ones that come to do are the Ah nehs which are probably not licenced too. He will probably come look see only.

At least got qualified personel check.. But did the ah neh give his own HP number and ask you to call him directly next time if you have electrical work? He said will be cheaper.

In the CNA show, the one the host followed around with,  the workers that do the works are his workers not the license electrician too.  One of the house is instaled by the host himself.🤣😅

Edited by Ender
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

No wonder people just anyhow get any electrician, cause no difference even he is licenced.

4 minutes ago, 13177 said:

No wonder people just anyhow get any electrician, cause no difference even he is licenced.

Got different lah. The license electrician, aka the boss will check mah.. Any problem is his license at stake too.  GOt watched the CNA video? One of the household was installe dby the host himself while chit chatting with the license electician..🤣😅

• Haha! 2

34 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Just like the medical field, not everyone can call themselves doctor and not all drugs can be bought over the counter. TMC they have done something similar. This is about how serious the authority feels the need to control. 

31 minutes ago, Ender said:

Got different lah. The license electrician, aka the boss will check mah.. Any problem is his license at stake too.  GOt watched the CNA video? One of the household was installe dby the host himself while chit chatting with the license electician..🤣😅

If it is not done by the license electrician and simply just check, if anything happen later also no use even his license is at stake. Maybe a life is already lost.

We are a family of LEWs but I am not in this line after leaving the family business. My brother is a PE and still in this line with my Sis and BIL retired. 

We never have any issues, only one when recalling back then, I was a small boy. I tried to make a huge electromagnet using a big screwdriver and wires found at home. I end up plugging into AC not knowing that it will short. Haha :D 

Lucky I survived 😛 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 4