Group Drive To KL or Kuantan

NightWind

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, TameDriver said:

@Tohto haha.  They laid it out nicely for tourists to take pics and also for counting.  Dunno if they still collect to hatch & release.  Have seen turtle eggs being sold in markets in Terengganu.  Probably when there’s excess. 

i've seen turtle eggs for sale in the Kota Bahru central mkt too. Unfortunately the sale and consumption is illegal only in Sabah. 

2 hours ago, TameDriver said:

My ride that makes this road trip even more enjoyable: 

On Chandor Beach

51CEBED6-D822-4F7D-A05F-C07DD9E3D917.thumb.jpeg.8a688020e2708b3c2f3fdef27c0056c4.jpeg

Thought I had the beach to myself, then I spotted the red car hiding in the shade.  😁

463B819F-0EE1-4A16-B2D1-6D74BED7C40E.thumb.jpeg.27f710bc596790019fd88cfbdfc13c35.jpeg

Hi, are you able to share your route?

I am thinking of a solo trip up north too. To the Thailand border, take selfie with Thailand behind me and back ! and of cos enjoy the most scenic route along the way.

@Davidklt drive to Thai border at Sadao is just highway, not much of scenery. 
If want scenery, take route 76, pass thru Pengkalan Hulu to Bukit Berapit Immigration customs.  This route is surrounded by mostly greenery.  
Wait a few months more for Thai govt to do away with COVID control at land borders and u can cross over to Betong.  

• Praise 1

Pantai Batu Hitam.  ATV kiddy rides and horseback rides on the beach for kids.  The operators also ply on Timur Bay. 

0553B2C3-6289-47C4-914C-3E4732B665FF.thumb.jpeg.b15e1f8f023c8173e3064891f524cd17.jpeg

• Praise 3

On 6/5/2022 at 5:06 PM, TameDriver said:

So lucky to be able to witness sea turtle laying eggs on our first night there, despite the closure of all the known shops that handled this sort of activity.  Was driving along this stretch of beach just south of Chukai after dinner, about 9.30pm because one of my passengers googled that there’s supposed to have a shed at the end of that coastal drive where turtle watch organiser is stationed.  To our dismay, the shed was gone, just sand and small trees.  

Disappointed, while driving away fr the beach,  saw a group of 5 chatting around their cars.  Found that they & a guide were waiting for their rangers to spot any turtle coming up the beach.  They were very nice to let us join (with a fee, of course) because it was a privately arranged group. Managed to watch one turtle laid eggs that night after 1.5 hrs wait and nearby too.   

The guide told us it’s a Green Turtle. Felt sad for the turtle because it won’t be able to see it’s young after this.  

6248B434-CE38-4C68-91F8-790950877D06.thumb.jpeg.65b7341ec078b7cdcb3516ded1ee00a5.jpeg

Laborious progress on the sand

AB4A6532-3554-42D6-8524-4BB37C13FD0B.thumb.jpeg.e5a1a8bcd35cb0d5e2ed9a8701f5e073.jpeg

Lucky you, the last time I was there, we paid for a private turtle night adventure, not even a single turtle came onshore.  My kids were thoroughly disappointed.

• Praise 1

@Voodooman I think it's because it happened to be a Full Moon week.  It seems the higher tide levels can help the turtles to gauge a safer location to lay its eggs. 

• Praise 3

On 6/7/2022 at 4:55 PM, TameDriver said:

@Voodooman I think it's because it happened to be a Full Moon week.  It seems the higher tide levels can help the turtles to gauge a safer location to lay its eggs. 

Wow! Real adventure... dangerous or not? I sometimes want to travel using these small roads, but not sure safe or not... heh heh...

10 hours ago, TameDriver said:

@teomingern Well, want to go on road trip must be prepared to take some risks.  I make it a point not to drive small roads after night fall. 

Prepared to take some risks but not too big a risk lar... ha ha...

Like this very much as it's bite size and condensed; less messy. Could only get this along the east coast area.  

20220616_145915.thumb.jpg.dc304d318985b2ce6b60973f999be377.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2