This is how HardwareZone works from home #HWZWFH

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

This is how HardwareZone works from home #HWZWFH

source: https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/blog-how-hardwarezone-works-home-hwzwfh-part-2

WFH_0.jpg

My area of solitude

Let me start by saying I love my kids. I really do. But preferably, I’d like to love them from my office far away when they’re at home after school.

Unfortunately, Covid-19 has changed this with the government issuing Work from Home orders and Home-Based Learning days for students.

Working from home, let me say how jealous I am of our associate editor’s setup he showed off last week. The space and equipment on display were enough to make a tech lover like me drool with envy.

I don’t need a lot to keep me happy. Give me enough space for a fat man to be comfortable, a nice chair, a big, sharp monitor, and a desktop or laptop that can connect to what I need, when I need it, and I’m satisfied. A man of simple needs and pleasures.

In the office I have an office provided desk and chair. I use an office provided PC along with USB-powered keyboard and mouse, and my only indulgence is my 34-inch monitor that allows me to easily view up to three-word documents at a time.

At home, I don’t have a proper desk and have had to hijack the dining table. The good thing about it is the real estate I have for my device sprawl. The bad is that it is severely minimal, and this has meant plugs and cables making a mess on the side. My kids do their schoolwork next to me so they have access to easy tech support and a reference library when they get stuck with school work.

mess.jpg

The mess I try to ignore

Comfy chair? Well, I have a chair and it has a padded base and is high enough to sit on and view my screens without having to strain my neck.

Any additional storage I need is kept in Ikea bought containers that provide me with ample space for junk.

container.jpg

My Ikea storage containers

I was initially reduced to using the 13-inch laptop screen on my MacBook Pro but I brought my Acer 32-inch monitor to make it easier for an old man to see the text in small emails and multiple documents.  

acer32.jpg

Bigger is always nice

The Acer EB321HQU A is a 31.5-inch, 1440p monitor with DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort inputs. Using an IPS panel with a 60Hz refresh rate and 4ms response time, it comes with a tilting stand, has picture-in-picture and picture-by-picture modes. It is more than enough for my current needs. I can even have a video running quietly in the background without any problem.

But having seen the screen real estate curved monitors provide, I’ve decided that a curved monitor is the way forward.

My laptop is a late- model 2018 13-inch MacBook Pro bought early 2019. It is powered by a 2.3GHz quad-core 8th generation Intel Core i5 processor and 8GB LPDDR3 RAM. It also has 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports.

mbp2018.jpg

My 2018 model of MacBook Pro

I can’t use a speaker as the sound will distract my wife and kids from what they need to do. I also have the occasional conference call. So rather than speakers, I chose to go with a pair of BoseQC20 earphones. This is an active noise cancelling earphone set. The in-ear wearing style means that users can now block out ambient noise in most everyday scenarios. Furthermore, the earphones also come with a convenient talk-through function.

QC20i_fullSet.jpg

The earphones and all the accessories

Finally, I added an external keyboard and mouse.

The keyboard is a standard wireless, battery-powered one from Apple. Nothing fancy but it works.

applekeyboard.jpg

It may be small but it gets the job done

The mouse is a Logitech MX Anywhere 2. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to review the new MX Master 3 so I’m still using old tech. Old it may be, but it is still one of the better devices out there. 

MX-Anywhere-2s-_11_.jpg

MX Anywhere 2

It comes with Darkfield High Precision laser tracking, which allows for tracking on any surface, including glass that’s at least 4mm in thickness. Logitech Flow allows a mouse to control up to three computers seamlessly, allowing the user to move text, images, and files between these devices. The battery lasts slightly more than two months on a full charge.

I think the team from HWZ is doing a very good job in occupying their readers with the tech they are using when working from home. I myself is a geek too. So I will to read others' setup.

Any MCFers wanna share their WFH setup here? @RadX You wanna share? 🤣

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

Supersonic
9 minutes ago, Freeder said:

Think @RadX should be something like this.. 

5E6ADF37-E3D7-4DDC-9B17-AFFBA193B274.jpeg

@RadX got multiple monitor setup like in the Matrix. 

No, not this one. This belongs to the good guys.

v4cy7.thumb.jpg.31f3fe91d0685114df3d838ad426e927.jpg

This one.

ubyzkdcx18z21.thumb.jpg.d336f5cfb3969f135de80381e722c7f0.jpg

😁

• Haha! 8

Supersonic
2 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

security guard?

Yes. Hades Security.

Reports only to Ministry of Infernal Affairs.

• Haha! 6

Hypersonic

The only different for @RadX is, in the office he uses Casket, at home he uses Coffin, other than that, you leave him in the middle of the football field also he wont notice a different in the day...[:p][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 6

Internal Moderator
10 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

security guard?

You never die before arh. hahahah. 🤣

• Haha! 6

42 minutes ago, Tianmo said:

The only different for @RadX is, in the office he uses Casket, at home he uses Coffin, other than that, you leave him in the middle of the football field also he wont notice a different in the day...[:p][laugh][laugh]

I have many ppl working UNDER me ok

• Haha! 6

39 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

You never die before arh. hahahah. 🤣

0D8893D3-1BA7-4D2B-9F71-4240C9179B61.gif

• Haha! 2

Twincharged
2 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

@RadX got multiple monitor setup like in the Matrix. 

No, not this one. This belongs to the good guys.

v4cy7.thumb.jpg.31f3fe91d0685114df3d838ad426e927.jpg

This one.

ubyzkdcx18z21.thumb.jpg.d336f5cfb3969f135de80381e722c7f0.jpg

😁

Must classify... 

Screenshot_20200515_130217.jpg

• Haha! 4

Internal Moderator
2 hours ago, Angcheek said:

HWZ pay must be damn good .... the house so big 😁

Yah lor! super envy lah! 🤣

• Haha! 1

18 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Yah lor! super envy lah! 🤣

are you complaining or hinting to your boss? [sly]

• Haha! 3

Internal Moderator
17 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

are you complaining or hinting to your boss? [sly]

YOU WANNA SABO ME! 😅

hahahhaha.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Tianmo said:

yah, six foot under, many many....[:p][laugh][laugh]

Because of COVID-19, added one more foot. So now is seven feet down under .... :we-all-gonna-die:

• Haha! 2

8 hours ago, Angcheek said:

HWZ pay must be damn good .... the house so big 😁

some said mediocre or peanut :grin:

depends on who huh :ninja:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1