should we have a general election within the next 3 months?

Wind30

should we have a general election within the next 3 months?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. should we have a general election within the next 3 months?

• yes
    • No

Yes. :confident:

Get rid of this election thingy which causing stress to all citizen in guessing when election coming.:lll._.:

It had been linker on since last year and very stressful to those who have to work mending those Polling Stations. Can't plan our holidays....   :omg:

Funish it and lets all concentrate on fighting the COVID-19 together. :yuush:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

16 hours ago, Datsun366 said:

1. Why would I want to hand TCB an MP seat, go somewhere else. Heck go Marine Parade dey. Dont gatchau me in the west. Or because the IQ distribution is lower in the west after I moved east. Ga gi gong ga gi song.

2. If the govt is not smart to capitalize on winning why would we want a fair government that allows itself to be chopped? The common pink ic is not honorable at all but practical. There are many people especially the females would enjoy winning even if it is unfair...closing sale, moving sale especially when they perceive they have an advantage.

3. The trolls are male and cannot see beyond their noses, cannot even get fifty percent of the population on their side...how to win. Much less govern.

4. Hard truths hurt the self esteem of the honorable opposition, no?

5. Get the women on your side before coming out as a credible political opposition party. You may ask the Dura, Arachnoid and Pia for notes.

Music..

Even if you dislike them, they get the job done.

I rather fight with TCH than against him, he the bruiser, kick metal ship all courageously.

Be quick so that we can move on.

Xia xuay or otherwise.

So u prefer dirty politics like the US. Why dont u move there

We are a small Nation and is capable of making decision, however the impact is too big to risk it, given the consequences it can explode further, citizens may not taking it serious enough attending rally, the fanfare isn't right hence PM can't say Israel have done it, so and so have done it, we should be abled to, we have to bear in mind our city is small enough to rise to the call, yet big enough to be heard, a little shake here and there can cause mayhem , panic and anxiety.

I endorse that Election need to carry on, don't you agree to postpone is better late than never . . .

It's like a farm.

The animals are given some food and water by the farmer. In return, despite the photo of the farmer hugging and kissing the animals... only a fool didn't know what eventually happens to ALL the animals 😳.

Animals who display the desired traits of obedience or production of meat will be given preference as show animals who then get the mistaken notion that they are "special" and must show gratitude to the farmer. 

To the extend they will actively cheer and even take part when lesser animals are "disposed" of... cos they are special... they feel it.

Over time,  selective breeding results in domestication,  open the cages .. they also won't leave. 

But make no mistake.. come the day,  even the show animals will have the same inevitable fate if it doesn't confirm to the farmers whimps .. and whips.

The domesticated animal will forever be locked in the farm system as its breed in the DNA already... worshipping the farmer to the slaughter house.  We see it in north Korea,  Maoist China,  stalinist Russia,  nazi Germany,  imperial Japan. 

It takes a smart animal to know that there's life beyond the farm system.. beyond the farmer. 

The farmer... any farmer.. is not a god.

What ever food,  shelter,  medication etc it provides,  it's done for the farmers benefit.  (CCP China model).

The smart animal is one that understands NEVER top let the farmer be God.

The farmer should be a servant,  not a master. 

• Praise 5

What do women want?

I mean looking at the history, women are key performance indicators of a successful society.

Security tight India, wow. I 1.5 million buy condo ok, you shut up.

Most posters here somewhat belong to the big man provider type or the wannabes...

Animal schanimal, everyone belongs to the chordata animalia.

I find that the struggle to move a third world rojak to first world cuisine incredible. Therein, self appointed food critics are using hate and resentment, third world methods to criticize instead of improvement.

The most sayang is to see those who moved out with us upslope had somehow engaged reverse gear and are truddling backwards. 

And you wonder why Sisyphus cry to his wife. I tried i tried i tried so hard but i failed.

Do not let it happen here.

I get these because i found third world immigrant servants who may be among the elite from their society criticizing and ridiculing us. And the worst thing, the government seemed to have neglected us and allow bad management to flourish such that certain areas are run by scaredy managers who wish to keep their income and are very willing to expend their fellow countrymen, which is justified by meritocracy. No third world immigrants, no manager.

What is clean politics, its oxymoron to associate hygiene concept and despicable organized human trait of self preservation at acceptable costs.

Much like a xiaxuay general willing for soldiers to die for the greater good. You, go die. Quickly, now, limpeh ganna xiaxuay because of your toilet paper. Really ganna sai.

Its the society now and whether can survive and in what form?

Its not important.

If the opposition cannot win, its meant to be.

If the opposition still needs to run and risk fracturing Singapore in their quest for xiaxuay, so be it.

If the opposition would run the risk of a resounding rejection, so be it.

Xiaxuay xiaxuay lor.

Who need who?

He voiced our view. He has my respect! 

General Election can wait, priority is to 'prevent a health crisis': PSP's Tan Cheng Bock

tan-cheng-bock--2-.jpg

SINGAPORE: Progress Singapore Party (PSP) chief Tan Cheng Bock reiterated on Saturday (Mar 28) his stand against calling a General Election (GE) in 2020 as the COVID-19 outbreak continues to evolve. 

In a video posted on Facebook, Dr Tan said the GE can wait while the Government directs its resources towards dealing with the coronavirus. 

Dr Tan was speaking in response to Senior Minister Teo Chee Hean's speech in Parliament, in which Mr Teo said suggestions to delay GE and form a caretaker government were unconstitutional, "misleading and unhelpful". 

Mr Teo had pointed out that a caretaker government "lacks the explicit mandate of voters and would therefore not be in a position to take major decisions on behalf of Singaporeans" at a time of crisis. 

He also said "we do not know when the COVID-19 situation will stabilise" but that an election "must take place by Apr 14, 2021", which marks the end of the term of the 13th Parliament.

"The longer we wait, the more unpredictable, difficult and dangerous it could be," said Mr Teo. 

Mr Teo was responding to Dr Tan's message two weeks ago that said the PSP "strongly urged" the Government not to hold the GE during the COVID-19 crisis, offering alternatives such as forming a caretaker government. 

In his video on Saturday, Dr Tan said: "I refer to Senior Minister Teo Chee Hean's speech in Parliament, where he commented on my idea of a caretaker government. 

"I think he may have missed my main point, which is simply this: In view of COVID-19, the Government must now make a choice - it is either to call an early GE in 2020 or to wait until the last possible date in 2021. The issue is how to exercise this choice."

Dr Tan said if the Government chooses to call an early GE, "it will expose more than 2.6 million Singaporeans to COVID-19, which will run the risk of creating a health crisis". 

"SM Teo also said in Parliament that an early GE will allow Singapore to decide who they want to captain the ship in the future. But can he accept that an early GE means that the ship will potentially carry many more Singaporeans infected with COVID-19 and is this the risk he's prepared to take with our overtaxed health crisis?" said Dr Tan.

"A later election may take place at a time when the COVID-19 situation has improved, which is a realistic hope and not a fanciful wish," said Dr Tan, citing vaccines being developed and the doubling down on social containment measures.

Dr Tan agreed that forming a caretaker government could pose a "legal constitutional problem". 

"However, a constitutional problem does not infect people with COVID-19. A constitutional problem will not take away the lives of loved ones. A constitutional problem can be overcome," he said. 

"General Election can wait," said Dr Tan. "Our ministers and ministries are already hard-pressed. If an election were to occur they would have to spread themselves out even thinner, deciding how to safely - if that is even possible - carry out the process of elections.

Earlier on Saturday, the authorities urged Singaporeans to defer trips to the mall except for essential activities such as buying food and groceries, after choke points were seen outside some shopping centres.

• Praise 12
  • Haha! 1

55 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Dr Tan agreed that forming a caretaker government could pose a "legal constitutional problem". 

personally... im not even sure how halimah can be considered constitutional..... how a lot of other things are considered "constitutional"..

seems they can just vote and decide anyway.

who stands to benefit?... can argue many ways.

if i am the PAP. i push it through now... with pofma, media control, ban on rallies etc etc... sense of panic is the best time to do it. why wait?... when things turning worse could expose inadequacies, not saying anyone is at fault, its a unprecedented crisis after all.

• Haha! 1

Of course within 3 months lah. 

Singaporeans are really forgetful. 

$48 billions after 3 months already forgotten. 

When throw money out like this better make it worth it. 

I can imagine if this $48 billion were proposed by opposition. Sure everyone wack. 

But when given out at right time....... 

It's Thank goodness....! So wise, so benelovent. Our 3 generations luck..... 

My take is anyone with common sense will likely do the same thing, main difference is likely the amount..... 

• Haha! 1

Twincharged

Whether to hold the election early or later is the prerogative of my colleagues but they have to bear the consequences of their decision.

Its all about risk (potentially worsening the pandemic) versus benefits (winning by a big margin).

The general public has no teeth and when to hold the election is a matter how to maximise how to look good at the end of the election.

I am more worried about post election. Unlike the past spending money by my colleagues are often very measured with a large measure of prudence.

Currently money worse drawing down reserve and "throwing people's money" even before there is serious damaging hardship is rampant.

The lower income is very well taken care of but the middle income especially those with asset but cash poor will suffer if not very badly. The upper income will continue life as usual.

These money used must be recuperated later on such is the consequences of drawing our reserves.

Post pandemic, expect to have more but different financial pain which is inevitable. This would be made worse by all the current deferred payment on mortgage and various loans which banks are encourage to cut some slack for borrowers by the government.

My colleagues, I enquired if their spending results in long term gain for the citizens and country at large. A humongous package of which are for short term. This would set us back on moving forward when the world recovers from the pandemic.

Given the current bleak situation I am afraid I am unable to reserve chicken rice or bryani until after 14 days from today. 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator

Bill to be tabled to allow for ‘safe’ GE if held during Covid-19 outbreak: Elections Dept
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/bill-be-tabled-allow-safe-ge-if-held-during-covid-19-outbreak-elections-dept

voter_0.jpg?itok=fcil7V32

SINGAPORE — A Bill will be tabled next week to allow the Elections Department Singapore (ELD) to put in place temporary arrangements to ensure a “safe” General Election (GE) if it is held during the Covid-19 outbreak, the department said on Friday (April 3).

“The health and safety of voters, candidates and election officials is paramount to us,” the ELD said in response to media queries.

It added: “In view of the rapidly evolving Covid-19 situation, ELD must make contingency plans to put in place precautionary measures to ensure a safe election, should the next GE take place amid the Covid-19 situation.”

The Parliamentary Elections (COVID-19 Special Arrangements) Bill, which is expected to be introduced next Tuesday, contains the “necessary legislative provisions” to allow ELD to “implement temporary arrangements to ensure the safety of voters, candidates and election officials during Parliamentary elections”.

The next GE must be held by April 14 next year. The release on March 13 of a report by the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee triggered talk that the GE could be held in the coming months.

Several opposition parties have criticised the prospect of the polls being conducted during the Covid-19 outbreak.

Last week, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said that he “would not rule any possibility out” regarding the timing of the polls. He said it would be “a very difficult decision because we are going into a very big storm and you want to have the strongest team and mandate, and the longest runway so that Singapore can have the best leadership to see it through this storm”.

He added: “I think once all the requirements are cleared, and that includes the electoral boundaries which have been reported, the electoral rolls have to be certified and republished.

Once that is done, that means all possibilities are there. I will have to judge the situation.”

• Praise 2

Twincharged
20 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Bill to be tabled to allow for ‘safe’ GE if held during Covid-19 outbreak: Elections Dept
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/bill-be-tabled-allow-safe-ge-if-held-during-covid-19-outbreak-elections-dept

voter_0.jpg?itok=fcil7V32

SINGAPORE — A Bill will be tabled next week to allow the Elections Department Singapore (ELD) to put in place temporary arrangements to ensure a “safe” General Election (GE) if it is held during the Covid-19 outbreak, the department said on Friday (April 3).

“The health and safety of voters, candidates and election officials is paramount to us,” the ELD said in response to media queries.

It added: “In view of the rapidly evolving Covid-19 situation, ELD must make contingency plans to put in place precautionary measures to ensure a safe election, should the next GE take place amid the Covid-19 situation.”

The Parliamentary Elections (COVID-19 Special Arrangements) Bill, which is expected to be introduced next Tuesday, contains the “necessary legislative provisions” to allow ELD to “implement temporary arrangements to ensure the safety of voters, candidates and election officials during Parliamentary elections”.

The next GE must be held by April 14 next year. The release on March 13 of a report by the Electoral Boundaries Review Committee triggered talk that the GE could be held in the coming months.

Several opposition parties have criticised the prospect of the polls being conducted during the Covid-19 outbreak.

Last week, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong said that he “would not rule any possibility out” regarding the timing of the polls. He said it would be “a very difficult decision because we are going into a very big storm and you want to have the strongest team and mandate, and the longest runway so that Singapore can have the best leadership to see it through this storm”.

He added: “I think once all the requirements are cleared, and that includes the electoral boundaries which have been reported, the electoral rolls have to be certified and republished.

Once that is done, that means all possibilities are there. I will have to judge the situation.”

It meant that election would be very soon

by the way any chance you will reveal the cream you just for your hair, amazing

• Praise 1