2020 Toyota GranAce Premium

Carbon82

Auto hold is almost a must for me. 

I simply do not like stepping on brake while stationary  and blind the drivers/passenger behind me unnecessarily. 

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Atrecord said:

Oh really? What car was that?

Quite a few people i know (driving the same car as me), do not use the auto-hold feature, but I like it a lot. Can rest my foot during traffic light or jams.

If it's not a must to have EPB, in order to have auto-hold, then manufacturers should really do it more frequently, or even as a norm.

My previous car was a MB W212.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

I simply do not like stepping on brake while stationary  and blind the drivers/passenger behind me unnecessarily. 

For RWD, just pull handbrake lo.  No need autohold.

1 hour ago, Hamburger said:

But autohold will still means brake light is on leh... doesn't help the blinding part, but sure can rest the leg 👍

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Toeknee_33 said:

My previous car was a MB W212.

OK... So far haven't heard of any of the Jap makes with foot brake or hand brake having auto-hold though.

If only have, will be so convenient...

8 minutes ago, Davidtch said:

Aiyah, if pull handbrake or the footbrake (parking brake), then still must deactivate it before moving off mah. If jam, have to keep doing this, very mar fun...

whereas for auto-hold, just step the normal brake pedal till complete stop, then can lift foot off pedal and no need do anything else. So much more convenient.

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Atrecord said:

But autohold will still means brake light is on leh... doesn't help the blinding part, but sure can rest the leg 👍

really??? later i go check out.

need an extra pair of eyes though, as once i opened the door , the transmission will go into P.

3 hours ago, Davidtch said:

cant get used to flicking my fingers for handbrake.

autohold rocks !!!!!

• Praise 2

18 hours ago, Hamburger said:

really??? later i go check out.

need an extra pair of eyes though, as once i opened the door , the transmission will go into P.

yah, i had the exact same question and problem, cos i also initially tot auto-hold is like parking brake instead of the normal brake - i.e. no brake light...

later someone here said got brake light, and i also wanted to see for myself... So one day i gos-tan with car back towards a glass door (that can see reflections), and then tried it that way... And found indeed got brake light.

• Praise 1

42 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

yah, i had the exact same question and problem, cos i also initially tot auto-hold is like parking brake instead of the normal brake - i.e. no brake light...

later someone here said got brake light, and i also wanted to see for myself... So one day i gos-tan with car back towards a glass door (that can see reflections), and then tried it that way... And found indeed got brake light.

Same thought with you.

I double checked and indeed there were brake light. Time to  use my finger for that hand brake switch. 

• Praise 1

On 10/30/2019 at 9:38 AM, Carbon82 said:

So the million dollar question: Will there be a Lexus version soon? XLM?

Lexus has the Lexus LM already, for China and selected Asia markets only. 😁 I doubt they will do another bigger luxo van. 

1869157d1555507787-2019-lexus-lm-luxury-

The surprising thing to me is that compared to the Alphard/Veilfire front-wheel drive platform, Toyota still insists on a rear wheel drive platform for this latest 6th generation Hiace (GrandAce) which predominantly is meant for goods ferrying. Shouldn't a front wheel drive chassis be better for space? 

Edited by Lethalstrike
  • Praise 1

10 hours ago, Lethalstrike said:

The surprising thing to me is that compared to the Alphard/Veilfire front-wheel drive platform, Toyota still insists on a rear wheel drive platform for this latest 6th generation Hiace (GrandAce) which predominantly is meant for goods ferrying. Shouldn't a front wheel drive chassis be better for space? 

While I do not have an official answer to your question, but from a user perspective (I have hands on experience with driving van and lorry under full load condition), I think it might have something to do with the way the van is typically loaded.

Delivery guy will normally place the load nearer to tailgate for easier loading / unloading. And by doing that, steering will get a little lighter too (imagine in the older days when power steering is not even an option). If using a FWD arrangement, the van might not able to move properly, since contact of front wheel with road surface may be impaired.

• Praise 6

2 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

While I do not have an official answer to your question, but from a user perspective (I have hands on experience with driving van and lorry under full load condition), I think it might have something to do with the way the van is typically loaded.

Delivery guy will normally place the load nearer to tailgate for easier loading / unloading. And by doing that, steering will get a little lighter too (imagine in the older days when power steering is not even an option). If using a FWD arrangement, the van might not able to move properly, since contact of front wheel with road surface may be impaired.

I think you're right and did a quick Google on my own. Basically, rwd has better traction when loaded on the rear wheels, better weight distribution thru the drivetrain.

https://vandimensions.com/info/why-are-most-trucks-rear-wheel-drive

• Praise 1

toyota being toyota, the design still looks very outdated. still stone age on handbrake. what a design for new models like this nowadays. no innovation and ideas.

On 11/3/2019 at 5:53 AM, StreamRSZ said:

toyota being toyota, the design still looks very outdated. still stone age on handbrake. what a design for new models like this nowadays. no innovation and ideas.

This was originally a van, so a manual handbrake is not such an atrocity lah. Toyota is not as backward as you think. 

• Praise 1

Available in 6 or 8 seater configuration. While I cannot say the same for drive and handling, it look equally luxurious as the Lexus LM, in the look department.

001_o.jpg

025_o.jpg

026_o.jpg

027_o.jpg

030_o.jpg

006_o.jpg

020_o.jpg

021_o.jpg

022_o.jpg

023_o.jpg

024_o.jpg

002_o.jpg

007_o.jpg

008_o.jpg

009_o.jpg

016_o.jpg

013_o.jpg

003_o.jpg

010_o.jpg

011_o.jpg

012_o.jpg

014_o.jpg

015_o.jpg

• Praise 5

Very overpriced when it's a Toyota. Believe this will be more popular with companies looking for VIP or chauffeur driven cars instead. 

↡ Advertisement