Discoburg

41 minutes ago, wwx said:

Hi, 

I am new driver 33 yo, female

i got a quote from AIG - $2920 

i asked around my friends with same condition and theirs are all around 2k 

can anyone enlighten me on this ? 

thank you! 

New driver without NCD discount and driving experience is always expensive. Sometimes also depended on your occupation. Can call AIG and negotiate.

↡ Advertisement

On 2/16/2021 at 10:20 AM, wwx said:

Hi, 

I am new driver 33 yo, female

i got a quote from AIG - $2920 

i asked around my friends with same condition and theirs are all around 2k 

can anyone enlighten me on this ? 

thank you! 

Looks ok the price. (and that was 10 years ago).

I remember my premium was around $3k (NTUC) when I bought my car 1 week after getting my driving license. Not a lot of insurance company is willing to provide cover for probation drivers. 

On 1/4/2021 at 5:28 PM, kermitfm said:

NCD is No Claim Discount. It does not matter whose caused the accident but as long as you have made a claim on your policy, then your NCD will be affected unless you have an NCD protection in your insurance clause.

If, in an accident which can be proven that it is 100% not your fault, you can make a claim on the other party's insurance. The workshop will do this as a service for you if they can (or want to). They will file the insurance claim against the other party. The other party will review the evidence and do a damage assessment. If all is in order, then the your workshop will proceed with the repair. Your insurance company just need to be informed but no claim from it would be made. Your NCD will not be affected and normally you there is no excess - meaning 100% of the repairs plus loss of use plus appropriate expenses can be claimed from the other party's insurer.

Workshop may be reluctant to do this because once you submit a report to your insurance company that you will not be claiming on your own insurance, you cannot u-turn and ask your insurance company to pay if your claim against the other party's is unsuccessful. You will have then have to bear the full cost of the repairs if this happen.

Hi all, I am having a big headache with how the insurance company works.  Anyone has encountered cases where you won't be updated on the status of your claim?

I recently had an accident.  Motorbike rear ended me and I have video footage that shows not my fault.  As my authorised workshop does not handle third-party claim, I did an own damage claim.  After my car is repaired, I emailed the insurance company to proceed with recovery and excess claim.  That's when my nightmare starts. 

1) my insurance company said they only handle recovery but not excess claim.  I had to settle excess with third party insurer direct.  So i asked for case no/claim no (whatever they term it) and the officer in charge of my recovery claim and they say my own damage claim is still pending so no info yet.  

2) I asked if i will be updated on the status and the info, they said NO. (how then will I know who the third party insurer is?)

3) They are unable to tell me how long it will take for my recovery claim to be settled.  I asked about NCD because it's not my fault, they say will refund when recovery case is closed.  (is this true? If they can't tell how long it takes, will they drag until another cycle of renewal?)

4) I just received my renewal notice stating  NCD 0 and terms and conditions revised.

Faint!  anyone here can enlighten me?

2 hours ago, Yeezcon said:

Hi all, I am having a big headache with how the insurance company works.  Anyone has encountered cases where you won't be updated on the status of your claim?

I recently had an accident.  Motorbike rear ended me and I have video footage that shows not my fault.  As my authorised workshop does not handle third-party claim, I did an own damage claim.  After my car is repaired, I emailed the insurance company to proceed with recovery and excess claim.  That's when my nightmare starts. 

1) my insurance company said they only handle recovery but not excess claim.  I had to settle excess with third party insurer direct.  So i asked for case no/claim no (whatever they term it) and the officer in charge of my recovery claim and they say my own damage claim is still pending so no info yet.  

2) I asked if i will be updated on the status and the info, they said NO. (how then will I know who the third party insurer is?)

3) They are unable to tell me how long it will take for my recovery claim to be settled.  I asked about NCD because it's not my fault, they say will refund when recovery case is closed.  (is this true? If they can't tell how long it takes, will they drag until another cycle of renewal?)

4) I just received my renewal notice stating  NCD 0 and terms and conditions revised.

Faint!  anyone here can enlighten me?

sorry to hear abt your case. Insurance companies can be a pain to deal with.

1) is the motorbike an SG bike or Malaysian bike? SG bike will be easier to claim against

2) why did you do an own damage claim at authorised workshop? If doing a 3rd party claim, I believe one can go to any workshop and not be limited to authorised workshop.

• Praise 2

@Shibadog 

It’s SG bike.

I did own damage claim coz workshop said repairs will be faster and also since my car has always been serviced by them. 2 yrs ago when my car was banged I also did own damage claim and recover later but I didn’t have to go through what I went through now with the same insurer.

28 minutes ago, Yeezcon said:

@Shibadog 

It’s SG bike.

I did own damage claim coz workshop said repairs will be faster and also since my car has always been serviced by them. 2 yrs ago when my car was banged I also did own damage claim and recover later but I didn’t have to go through what I went through now with the same insurer.

I guess there's not much you can do now but wait for the insurance companies to sort it out. Yes if deemed not at fault, they will refund you the NCD but be prepared to wait years.

in future, if certain to claim 3rd pty, probably better to go to outside workshop. They will be happy to do the repairs and claims processing.

41 minutes ago, Yeezcon said:

@Shibadog 

It’s SG bike.

Bolded and underlined part - never, never, never fall for this! Of course the workshop will say whatever gets them money upfront and business immediately. You think they care if you're the one paying them (and losing out)? 

42 minutes ago, Yeezcon said:

@Shibadog 

It’s SG bike.

Previously my car was hit in the rear. Made 3rd party claims.

Waited 3 weeks as the party at fault did not file the claim.

Need a lot of patient for 3rd party claims .

Claim OD will always be at the mercy of insurer

@Turboflat4 

Haiz...Workshop push to insurer to help claim my excess but insurer push to workshop. Now I don’t even know if third party insurer will even entertain individual if I send in the excess receipt. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Yeezcon said:

Anyway, does it even make sense that we are not updated on the status of our case???

Which insurer you're with? Either claim or no claim, where got help claim partially one?

Next time kena rear ended...go to any WS claim 3P...talk how much you'd roughly get back...then wait...some would go see doctor first though...🤑

NTUC taxi hit me from the rear, and I did a 3rd party claim. Damage was not serious. My car could function normally although the damaged bumper was an eye-sore. The repair was at AD workshop. The OK from taxi insurer to do repairs took weeks to be approved. I had to bring car twice for damage inspection. Once for independent damage assessment, another to the AD for damage repair estimate. Then it was a long wait before NTUC insurance said to proceed with repairs at their cost. I got a replacement car while my car was being repaired. NTUC settled the bill directly with the workshop.

Note that I did not claim any whiplash injury as I was none the worse for wear. If I had done so, I think the time to approve repairs would have been much longer as there would be another dimension for NTUC to study and agree to. 

The point I am making is that unless you are prepared to be without a car for weeks (in case of a non-minor accident), it is better to claim own insurance and then let the insurers settle among themselves. The risk is that you lose NCD and pay the excess while the insurers sort out the mess over who is in the wrong. And then wait months for the refund. Can save some money by going to an approved workshop who will loan you an old car while car is being repaired. At least saves you another hassle of rental car cost dispute.

My own learning, is I avoid getting into accidents even though I have right of way. I put aside my pride and rights to let an inconsiderate driver in. The aftermath of insurance claiming is just and time spent to and from the workshops is not worth it. It will be a different story when my car is almost due to be scrapped. I will challenge the inconsiderate driver to a bumper war or side-swipe battle. The best case, I get some damage repair money which I probably will not spend. The worse case is I teach the guy that he pays out of his own pocket to repair his newer car for being inconsiderate.    

• Praise 2

4 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Which insurer you're with? Either claim or no claim, where got help claim partially one?

Next time kena rear ended...go to any WS claim 3P...talk how much you'd roughly get back...then wait...some would go see doctor first though...🤑

When he claims OD, he has to pay for the excess in accordance with his policy.

Subsequently, he subrogates his OD claims to his insurer.  His insurer only claims back whatever his insurer claims.

Unless claiming excess is included in the subrogation document.

@serenade 

I got my replacement car as it’s in the policy.  Totally agree that time spent to and fro workshop is not worth it.  
Ha... don’t think I’ll be brave enough to challenge the inconsiderate party.
Not that he is inconsiderate but he’s not paying attention on the road.  My footage caught him looking down at his handphone so he wasn’t aware I’m slowing down to give way to another vehicle