Reckless Cyclist

Brock

3 hours ago, Vratenza said:

"It was a bus lane, so I was also fearing for my life," he said.

What did I just read?

And AMAP say no need insurance also.... So no compensation for the 73yr old man who died just like that? AMAP asking the family of the old man to sue this guy in civil court? How much can they get out of him? 

This one already bring out his mum to plead for empathy. Gib chance la.

But I see bicycle on the road I'm driving I also fear for my life.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 5

On 8/18/2022 at 11:12 AM, Kklim said:

We should do the same.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/aug/16/registration-plates-and-insurance-for-cyclists-on-table-in-review-of-road-laws

Cyclists could be made to have registration plates and insurance
Bikes could be made to have registration plates and insurance as ministers weigh up bringing speed limits for cyclists into line with those for drivers.

The government is also considering the possibility of cyclists receiving licence penalty points and fines if they break speed limits or run red lights, the Daily Mail reported.

It comes as the transport secretary, Grant Shapps, proposed a Whitehall review of how cyclists who flout the law can be tracked down by police.

“Somewhere where cyclists are actually not breaking the law is when they speed, and that cannot be right, so I absolutely propose extending speed limit restrictions to cyclists,” he said. “Particularly where you’ve got 20mph limits on increasing numbers of roads, cyclists can easily exceed those, so I want to make speed limits apply to cyclists.

“That obviously does then lead you into the question of ‘well, how are you going to recognise the cyclist, do you need registration plates and insurance and that sort of thing’. So I’m proposing there should be a review of insurance and how you actually track cyclists who do break the laws [via identifiable markings].”

There has been an increase in people using bicycles to get around in recent years and it is understood the government is keen to implement any new rules in 20mph zones in particular.

Mandatory insurance for cyclists is also on the table, with Shapps keen to set up a review despite the fact he may no longer be in his role when a new prime minister is elected by Conservative party members on 5 September.

He added: “I don’t want to stop people from getting on their bike. It’s a fantastic way to travel, we’ve seen a big explosion of cycling during Covid and since, I think it has lots of health benefits.

“But I see no reason why cyclists should break the road laws, why they should speed, why they should bust red lights and be able to get away with it.”

If riders injure or kill pedestrians, mandatory insurance would allow the victims or their families to secure compensation in the same way they could make claims if someone was hit by a car or van.

It is not the first time in recent weeks the transport secretary has targeted cyclists. Earlier this month he said legislation was needed to “impress on cyclists the real harm they can cause when speed is combined with lack of care”.

Now he back tracked.

https://road.cc/content/news/no-plans-registration-plates-insists-shapps-295349

• Angry 2
  • Haha! 3

On 8/18/2022 at 8:30 PM, Stratovarius said:

Minus weekend left 8 days.

Yesterday saw someone cycled across a 6 lane road when the green man counter left 2 secs. These bicyclist are really confident of their speeeed....

Wow trying to cross 6 lanes....in 2 seconds.

Average lane width 3.5m, then 6 lanes is about 21m wide.

If cycle at 35km/h = 9.7m / sec. 

2 secs = 19.4m still short of 1.6m

The cyclist must cycle minimum at 40km/h = 11m/s to be able to cross a 6 lane junction in 2 secs.

If from far (50m) can see 5 secs left. Better to slow and stop than to sprint across.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

24 minutes ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

He is an idiot and a fool.

No balls to face public scrutiny of his recommendation and no guts to carry through what he proposed.

One of those nitwit MPs of UK.

Then our AMAP is no balls or guts? 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

what's more striking for me is how well-lit (brightness as well as even distribution) our roads are at night. I was reminded of this when i started travelling again this year. Appreciate our road standards (not perfect, but still above average) a lot more. 

btw for this case, if cyclist saw it in advance, can bunny hop over it but if riding in tail-gating formation ( i mean peleton) then need to depend on the lead rider to avoid obstacle? 

• Praise 3

12 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

what's more striking for me is how well-lit (brightness as well as even distribution) our roads are at night. I was reminded of this when i started travelling again this year. Appreciate our road standards (not perfect, but still above average) a lot more. 

btw for this case, if cyclist saw it in advance, can bunny hop over it but if riding in tail-gating formation ( i mean peleton) then need to depend on the lead rider to avoid obstacle? 

Think it's along the left bend, so can't see clearly until above it. 

Personally went over it few times and felt it was not even with clanking sound. Didn't realise the whole piece can come off.🤦

• Praise 4

4 minutes ago, Vratenza said:

I see the road drainage grating that runs parallel to the road, isn't that the same as the one that the injured cyclist was sueing LTA for?

This is the expansion joint going across the whole road. (LTA)

Different from the drain grating (Npark?)

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Vratenza said:

Then our AMAP is no balls or guts? 

May be got, but not big enough.😁

I think they also don't want to explain to the higher-ups if they recommend measures that are too stringent because then they would be pressed to explain how are those measures going to encourage more cycling for a car lite environment, something like such.

Who knows might be also that authorities had implied to them earlier not to rock the boat too hard.

Some things were probably just done for the sake of presentation to show that things have been discussed and conclusions done, even though the conclusions were already decided in default.

10 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

Think it's along the left bend, so can't see clearly until above it. 

Personally went over it few times and felt it was not even with clanking sound. Didn't realise the whole piece can come off.🤦

Somebody going to sue LTA....

• Praise 1

20 minutes ago, Atonchia said:

This is the expansion joint going across the whole road. (LTA)

Different from the drain grating (Npark?)

i meant the one on the right of the loose expansion joint part.