I need some recommendations for: 205/55/R16 tires

therock

Dear friends

I will be looking to replace some tires and the 205/55/R16 is one of the most popular around, and there are a plethora of choices, from the most budget, all the way to the more exotic. 

I am looking to spend under $130 for a tire which has a balance of comfort, noise control and safety.

These are the current candidates under consideration:

Continental:

CPC 5 ~ $115-130

(sadly the CPC 6 doesn't seem to be made for 16" tires)

Pirelli

Pirelli Cinturato P7 

Bridgestone

The new Bridgestone Turanza T005A ~ $120-$130 looks very interesting as an alternative to the GR 100

Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance?

Michelin Primacy 3 / PS 4 ~ $120 

Some recent tests:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2018-ADAC-Summer-Tyre-Test-205-55-R16.htm

I hope to get some ideas from friends here.. thanks! 

Some ideas on my needs:

I typically keep to the speed limits, but will do runs up north on the NSH, and in SG, do a lot of town driving, and am looking to replace some Goodyear RFTs.. cheers :) 

The CPC 5 looks pretty promising and is mentioned in a few reviews:

http://www.tirereviews.info/reviews-and-tests/summer-tires/r16-summer-tires/8-2018-summer-tire-test-results-205-55-r16

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

MPV :)

Under 130?

Visited a shop in Yong Peng and their prices aren’t really cheaper than SG .. FYI

If comfort is an important factor,  the next tyre should have the same factory recommended load index and speed rating. 

MPV :)

Under 130?

Visited a shop in Yong Peng and their prices aren’t really cheaper than SG .. FYI

MPV = ?

anyway base on the tire size 205/55/16  under $130 = plenty choice = average tire =

bridgestone , yokohama , Pirelli , continental , etc are all Good Quality tires .

Load index is a number = max load the tire can max carry = important if always heavily load = long distance = high speed.

if not sure just follow the Original fitted size from factory (NOT from you car )

Supersonic

Update, time for another set of tires..

And I don't see to get the similar ones in M'sia, but if anyone knows, please let me know?

Otherwise the CPC 7 looks ok 

Exotic Wheels SG is selling https://www.carousell.sg/p/205-55-16-continental-premiumcontact-7-1296961525/ hope they are ok..

First time w/o run flat... will do it after KL trip if I don't install there...

Supersonic
(edited)
On 5/27/2024 at 7:34 AM, therock said:

Update, time for another set of tires..

And I don't see to get the similar ones in M'sia, but if anyone knows, please let me know?

Otherwise the CPC 7 looks ok 

Exotic Wheels SG is selling https://www.carousell.sg/p/205-55-16-continental-premiumcontact-7-1296961525/ hope they are ok..

First time w/o run flat... will do it after KL trip if I don't install there...

Back from Manila over the weekend ? Welcome back!

If you have intention to do it in KL, why not just wait? Tyre wear is gradual and slow. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

Ya, I'm putting it into this cos I hope to see who knows where to change, be it SG or KL

In any case it will after KL next month, cheers

Supersonic
On 6/4/2024 at 5:37 PM, metalstream said:

CSC7 is only $120 each and its more superior than CPC7 where you were quoted $145 each

https://www.mycarforum.com/marketplace/info-186546/?module=main

CEC5 is even cheaper at $100 each

https://www.mycarforum.com/marketplace/info-143118/?module=main

But if you still insist on CPC7, I found one that is $15 cheaper than your original quote, at $130 each 

https://www.mycarforum.com/marketplace/info-143367/?module=main

Thanks bro, the last is CPC SSR, is it the same as CPC 7?

Supersonic

@metalstream

I can't find your original post

But after my KL trip, I did my homework and explored with Kim Hoe and Soon Huat

It was quite different - I got fast and prompt replies from Soon Huat, they accept CC and there was a $15 discount for the CPC 7, they didn't have the CSC but offered me the CPC 7 for $130 net with balance etc

So I drove down today, got terribly lost the #$%! google maps kept taking me on a run around and it took me 20 mins. Through this, the boss Kelvin was patient and guided me to his store, even offered to send his guy to find me, haha

The tire change was not F1, but within 20mins at lunchtime, it was done.

It's an interesting thing, the CPC 7 is quieter than my 3 year old Primacy RFT, I'm using the same 260 pressure... so far so good.

Kudos to the boss.

Hypersonic
On 6/13/2024 at 6:15 PM, therock said:

@metalstream

I can't find your original post

But after my KL trip, I did my homework and explored with Kim Hoe and Soon Huat

It was quite different - I got fast and prompt replies from Soon Huat, they accept CC and there was a $15 discount for the CPC 7, they didn't have the CSC but offered me the CPC 7 for $130 net with balance etc

So I drove down today, got terribly lost the #$%! google maps kept taking me on a run around and it took me 20 mins. Through this, the boss Kelvin was patient and guided me to his store, even offered to send his guy to find me, haha

The tire change was not F1, but within 20mins at lunchtime, it was done.

It's an interesting thing, the CPC 7 is quieter than my 3 year old Primacy RFT, I'm using the same 260 pressure... so far so good.

Kudos to the boss.

Answer lies in the post

🤭

Supersonic
(edited)

Nice pleasant drive thus far.. will update 

Edited by therock

Supersonic

After a week or so of running on the new shoes, I thought I'll share a little of my opinion

Now it's been almost 7 years since my last non RFT tires, because I have been using three sets of RFT with my current car. So the CPC 7 is my first non RFT in seven years.

I like tires with some grip and safety as my priority, but quiet running and economy are second. 

So this Continental PremiumContact 7 205/55 R16 91V fits to a pat.

They are very stable and quiet, almost too quiet as now I am hearing more wind noise that I did not in the past on my harder RFTs. The ride is more supple, yet grip is nice. I take the 99 bends about four times or more a day, so that's my little run and going round the bends feels very stable, and you can push the car harder without fear of losing grip.

It's early days and obviously a very different set of tires from before, but I am please also grateful for the recommendation on Soon Huat too. 
Cheers

• Praise 2

Supercharged

Was reading this thread as I wanted to change my 205/55R16 tyres.. thought of trying continental as never tried before.. but then found a good deal for hankook ventus prime 4 at $360 for set of 4, so went for that instead.. 😁

↡ Advertisement