Exercising and losing weight

ODC

@Lala81 thanks bro… I did ask my neurosurgeon whether I can continue to lift weights; she said ok; just no sudden movements kind (she gave example of a patient who played golf, and caused the shunt to dislodge). 

having said that, I think I’ll let her know (next visit) that my strength training is similar to powerlifting… 😬

my strength coach also sent me a super long article about Valsalva and lifting (when I asked him about risk given my SAH history): 

https://startingstrength.com/article/the_valsalva_and_stroke

TLDR version: more likely to get a stroke from pooping than lifting 🤷🏼‍♂️

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

@Gunzy thanks bro.. 

had follow up with nephrologist this morning. He went through the results; says I have nothing to worry about. The eGFR is a formula, somewhat like BMI. So as a generic formula, it shows I have stage II CKD. He went on to explain the 24-hour urine test results; that shows my kidneys are working fine (the filtration rate); to go ahead with whatever I’m doing 😅

• Praise 2

On 9/12/2024 at 12:52 PM, inlinesix said:

It could be you have a bigger heart relative to your size.

It will be interesting to know your HRV (in millisecond).

It's called the 心力 

Just like this morning as any other morning...I also have the 心 to get up to exercise...but no 力 to get out of bed...😂

• Haha! 3

@Lala81 like you, I have slightly lower heart rate as well. My own theory is that our heart rate range is at lower end ie lower low and lower high.. eg, when I was doing spin bike exercises, my heart rate 160+ I already feel like collapsing.. whereas I have friends who run; heart rate can hit 170s and he’s still fine. Few years back; when I was jogging a lot; my heart rate while sleeping occasionally fall below 40 bpm. As I focus more on strength rather than cardio in last few years; it has never gone below 40 anymore. 

• Praise 1

On 9/12/2024 at 12:23 PM, Giordanogavin said:

Or you feel very relax during the measurement thus the low reading?

Missy buay sui? 

• Haha! 3

Hypersonic

Wah … all measure hr during exercise one ah

ignorance is bliss for me

😬😅

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Heart rate go down is good. But been plagued by vertigo for last few weeks.

Keep returning though the symptoms are mild. Still can work or do stuff. Some of my exercise days have been omitted due to the above. 

Hypersonic
On 9/12/2024 at 1:20 PM, Enye said:

😬😅

You good runner. Know all these for what. 

• Haha! 2

On 9/12/2024 at 1:20 PM, Enye said:

😬😅

I is no run no harm...

Nowadays run after bus also sibeh stress...need to worry about achievable dash ornot, would trip over ornot, got pmd ornot, would the bus captain kind enuf to wait for me ornot...so stressful on the heart to be worrying about all these worries while I run...😅

Hypersonic
On 9/12/2024 at 1:16 PM, Volvobrick said:

Missy buay sui? 

bah bah one. Very friendly though. 

TBH i prefer those aunty type of missy. Lao Jiao type. 
It's hard to set plug or draw blood for me. I have not many veins on my forearm and some of my veins are bit spoilt. 
The CT scan 2 weeks ago, got a younger one at the plug setting room. I sorta expected she can't set for me. 2 tries fail already. I have a fair pain tolerance so just suck it up. 
Not an easy job, so i won't blame her.

In the end, transfer to the lao jiao missy to get the job done. 

• Haha! 3

Hypersonic
On 9/12/2024 at 1:20 PM, Lala81 said:

Heart rate go down is good. But been plagued by vertigo for last few weeks.

Keep returning though the symptoms are mild. Still can work or do stuff. Some of my exercise days have been omitted due to the above. 

What causes your vertigo? I find vertigo is one of the health issue that you don't know why it happens. So quite sian if tio vertigo.

Hypersonic
On 9/12/2024 at 2:04 PM, Ender said:

How to get out of a squat safely when it's too heavy. 

Now all I do is 70-80 pounds for knee extensions. Maybe higher reps. When i push it i can notice knee discomfort more easily.
And maybe at most hamstring curls or weighted glut squeezes. 

I just aim for minimal knee discomfort. 

Chicken legs. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 9/12/2024 at 2:09 PM, Lala81 said:

bah bah one. Very friendly though. 

TBH i prefer those aunty type of missy. Lao Jiao type. 
It's hard to set plug or draw blood for me. I have not many veins on my forearm and some of my veins are bit spoilt. 
The CT scan 2 weeks ago, got a younger one at the plug setting room. I sorta expected she can't set for me. 2 tries fail already. I have a fair pain tolerance so just suck it up. 
Not an easy job, so i won't blame her.

In the end, transfer to the lao jiao missy to get the job done. 

Had the same painful experience with a pinoy nurse for my colonoscopy. Needle and plug already in, and the nurse felt the need to take out and redo. 

Edited by Ender
  • Haha! 2

Hypersonic
On 9/12/2024 at 1:21 PM, Lala81 said:

You good runner. Know all these for what. 

Good runner and healthy runner is no same hor, somehow most of those toh and ke qiang (mati) while running were good runners. [:p][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 9/12/2024 at 2:04 PM, Ender said:

How to get out of a squat safely when it's too heavy. 

The safest way to get out of a failed squat is to have the spot bars in place, same goes to the bench press. Throwing the bar behind you is just as dangerous when you fail that rep. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1