Exercising and losing weight

ODC

Hypersonic
On 9/4/2024 at 10:37 AM, Lala81 said:

also happened when i cut kiwi and then add the yogurt on top, then if leave for too long, the yogurt will curdle.

Ah, so the heat is innocent. It's just the basic chemical reaction between food. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic
On 9/4/2024 at 10:39 AM, Ender said:

What were you trying to do to add soft drink into heated milk? 

Was just playing a fool with my classmates when I was in primary school. One of my classmate was having soya milk, and someone poured the gas drink into it. We saw the effect and tried it with milk to see if it will produce the same effect. Childhood you know. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Haha! 3

Hypersonic
On 9/4/2024 at 11:04 AM, Tianmo said:

Ah, so the heat is innocent. It's just the basic chemical reaction between food. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

after the milk is heated, the reaction happens faster. 

like within short while, it will start to curdle. basically curdling is protein breakdown so not surprising that heat affects it. Once milk proteins reach high 70s to 80 degrees, it will curdle. 

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
(edited)
On 9/4/2024 at 10:43 AM, Ender said:

Ok, don't think mine will be excessive coz at most twice a week, else it just once a week. Most of my runs are easy runs, don't need to buffer the acid.

Yah, I also don't think that little baking soda can harm you. 

Anyway if only once or twice a week, can just take eno instead lah, taste hell lot of better, and won't really cost a lot more by absolute value. But remember to take it stand alone, don't mix. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Edited by Tianmo

Turbocharged
On 9/4/2024 at 9:39 AM, Ender said:

Why leh? Baking soda is common food item ingredients. 

At least for me, I don't ingest baking soda on a daily basis. 

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 9/4/2024 at 11:15 AM, Kxbc said:

At least for me, I don't ingest baking soda on a daily basis. 

Read my other replies for an idea of frequency of intake.  It's just timing your ingestion at the right moment. People are eating baking soda every day, unless you are super diet conscious and avoid all confectionary.

Hypersonic
On 9/4/2024 at 11:12 AM, Tianmo said:

Yah, I also don't think that little baking soda can harm you. 

Anyway if only once or twice a week, can just take eno instead lah, taste hell lot of better, and won't really cost a lot more by absolute value. But remember to take it stand alone, don't mix. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Yah, going to buy ENO. Baking soda without making into other type of food just taste horrible.

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 9/4/2024 at 12:59 PM, Ender said:

Yah, going to buy ENO. Baking soda without making into other type of food just taste horrible.

Buy the lemon one, taste the best. Otherwise is the orange flavored, don't buy the plain one, no difference from baking soda. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

• Praise 1

Hypersonic
On 9/4/2024 at 11:00 AM, TangoCharlie said:

I plan to try salt stick electrolytes with caffeine for my 120 mins long runs.

Not there yet.

I read caffeine affects absorbency of nutrient and meds. Reason why when I take my meds (thyroid) and creatine, I make sure got 1 or 2 hours gap from any caffeine intake. Don't know about electrolytes, but I guess if it's dissolves in water should be able to absorbed easily.

• Praise 2

3rd Gear
On 9/3/2024 at 6:25 PM, Matoonia said:

Yah see what the doc say is the best ba. 

but anw i think if the high protein, whey and creatine is possibly increasing stress to kidneys, i will consider lowering. anw u are trying to lose weight, not increase muscle so no need so excessive high protein. i'm 176/76kg, and struggle to hit 100g protein so i think 160g really quite a lot. I also do intermittent fasting in the past and that has helped a lot to cut calories. But that's just me. Check with your doc is still the best. 

my wife been telling me to reduce protein supplement. one reason why I try to hit high numbers is because of my weight training. long story short, my coach told me about recovery : sleep and sufficient protein. after I upped my protein intake, I stopped feeling sore day after training. keep fingers crossed all is ok. 

3rd Gear
On 9/4/2024 at 9:14 AM, Kxbc said:

i am older than you. A few years ago, I took 1 scoop of whey protein (24g) almost daily or on those days I lift. Blood results for kidney went up. 

I didn't want to stress my kidneys so I removed whey. Next blood test maybe 8 mths later showed all good with no change in diet and exercise except for the whey removal.

Just for your reference.

thanks for sharing.. from the article I read (shared earlier), it could be weak kidneys, or protein synthesis.. my strength coach kept insisting its normal given the weight training we do.. so I thought best get doc clearance (from the nephrologist).. my intention is, even if all is ok with the high reading now, what are the things I need to look out for, before its beyond "repair"... 

Hypersonic

By right there's no upper limit to protein intake. But at age 30+ and older, do you really need so much protein? 

2g/kg/day I would be saying someone who's really actively trying to gain as much as possible. 

Do share what your nephrologist orders for you. 

I believe other than cystatin c clearance test, it's not possible to tell whether the protein and creatine is the cause of the problem. 

This test was not really available in the lab book last I checked. 

On 9/4/2024 at 6:32 PM, MX-5 said:

thanks for sharing.. from the article I read (shared earlier), it could be weak kidneys, or protein synthesis.. my strength coach kept insisting its normal given the weight training we do.. so I thought best get doc clearance (from the nephrologist).. my intention is, even if all is ok with the high reading now, what are the things I need to look out for, before its beyond "repair"... 

• Praise 2

On 9/4/2024 at 6:28 PM, MX-5 said:

my wife been telling me to reduce protein supplement. one reason why I try to hit high numbers is because of my weight training. long story short, my coach told me about recovery : sleep and sufficient protein. after I upped my protein intake, I stopped feeling sore day after training. keep fingers crossed all is ok. 

Your strength coach focus on your strength goals. On the other hand, your GP/Nephrologist doesn't care much about how much you lift.

I've learned that health and fitness and very different realms, sometimes act in opposite directions. Using myself as example, my lipids test is very bad, but my fitness/body fat fairly good. When i tell people i super high cholesterol, no one believe me. That's why we sometimes read an athlete or seemingly fit person can suddenly stroke/cardiac. So really depends on what you want.

Approaching 50, my priorities is be healthy, pain free, functionally strong enough and fit/lean, in this order. 

• Praise 10

Hypersonic
On 9/5/2024 at 10:06 AM, Matoonia said:

Your strength coach focus on your strength goals. On the other hand, your GP/Nephrologist doesn't care much about how much you lift.

I've learned that health and fitness and very different realms, sometimes act in opposite directions. Using myself as example, my lipids test is very bad, but my fitness/body fat fairly good. When i tell people i super high cholesterol, no one believe me. That's why we sometimes read an athlete or seemingly fit person can suddenly stroke/cardiac. So really depends on what you want.

Approaching 50, my priorities is be healthy, pain free, functionally strong enough and fit/lean, in this order. 

160gm of protein is 12 eggs per day or
5 x 100gm chicken breasts or
3 x 200gm steaks. 

Lol imagine this is what you take in 1 day. What's 1 week or 1 month worth of food.

I think I have a pretty healthy appetite, but thinking about this makes me full liao. Even if you are "cheating" the body using whey. 

Hypersonic
On 9/5/2024 at 10:31 AM, Lala81 said:

3 x 200gm steaks. 

Lol imagine this is what you take in 1 day. What's 1 week or 1 month worth of food.

I think I have a pretty healthy appetite, but thinking about this makes me full liao. Even if you are "cheating" the body using whey. 

How to eat 12 eggs per day, or 5x100gm of chicken breasts or 3x200gm steaks? I think sure have health issue if like that eat. Lol.

• Haha! 1

Turbocharged
On 9/5/2024 at 10:31 AM, Lala81 said:

3 x 200gm steaks. 

Doc, I amend for you.

1 egg = 6g protein. Therefore, 160g of protein will have to come from 27 eggs.

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

Turbocharged
On 9/5/2024 at 10:06 AM, Matoonia said:

agree. I will add on "happy" before healthy and the rest.

Turbocharged
On 9/4/2024 at 6:32 PM, MX-5 said:

i'll be candid. 

your trainer gives no shit to you if you have kidney issues. that's not his concern.

But I think it's good you are seeking professional medical opinion.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1