Origami

DACH

Supersonic

Does anyone here do origami?

As the era becomes more and more digital, such arts are becoming more and more scarce. 

Nowadays it's getting rare to see people and children doing origami.

Origami (折り紙, from ori meaning "folding", and kami meaning "paper" (kami changes to gami due to rendaku)) is the art of paper folding, which is often associated with Japanese culture. In modern usage, the word "origami" is used as an inclusive term for all folding practices, regardless of their culture of origin. The goal is to transform a flat square sheet of paper into a finished sculpture through folding and sculpting techniques. Modern origami practitioners generally discourage the use of cuts, glue, or markings on the paper. Origami folders often use the Japanese word kirigami to refer to designs which use cuts, although cutting is more characteristic of Chinese papercrafts.

The small number of basic origami folds can be combined in a variety of ways to make intricate designs. The best-known origami model is the Japanese paper crane. In general, these designs begin with a square sheet of paper whose sides may be of different colors, prints, or patterns. Traditional Japanese origami, which has been practiced since the Edo period (1603–1867), has often been less strict about these conventions, sometimes cutting the paper or using nonsquare shapes to start with. The principles of origami are also used in stentspackaging and other engineering applications.

History

Distinct paperfolding traditions arose in Europe, China, and Japan which have been well-documented by historians. These seem to have been mostly separate traditions, until the 20th century.

In China, traditional funerals often include the burning of folded paper, most often representations of gold nuggets (yuanbao). The practice of burning paper representations instead of full-scale wood or clay replicas dates from the Sung Dynasty (905–1125 CE), though it's not clear how much folding was involved.

In Japan, the earliest unambiguous reference to a paper model is in a short poem by Ihara Saikaku in 1680 which mentions a traditional butterfly design used during Shinto weddings. Folding filled some ceremonial functions in Edo period Japanese culture; noshi were attached to gifts, much likegreeting cards are used today. This developed into a form of entertainment; the first two instructional books published in Japan are clearly recreational.

In Europe, there was a well-developed genre of napkin folding, which flourished during the 17th and 18th centuries. After this period, this genre declined and was mostly forgotten; historian Joan Sallas attributes this to the introduction of porcelain, which replaced complex napkin folds as a dinner-table status symbol among nobility. However, some of the techniques and bases associated with this tradition continued to be a part of European culture; folding was a significant part of Friedrich Froebel's "Kindergarten" method, and the designs published in connection with his curriculum are stylistically similar to the napkin fold repertoire.

When Japan opened its borders in the 1860s, as part of a modernization strategy, they imported Froebel's Kindergarten system—and with it, German ideas about paperfolding. This included the ban on cuts, and the starting shape of a bicolored square. These ideas, and some of the European folding repertoire, were integrated into the Japanese tradition. Before this, traditional Japanese sources use a variety of starting shapes, often had cuts; and if they had color or markings, these were added after the model was folded.

In the early 1900s, Akira YoshizawaKosho Uchiyama, and others began creating and recording original origami works. Akira Yoshizawa in particular was responsible for a number of innovations, such as wet-folding and the Yoshizawa–Randlett diagramming system, and his work inspired a renaissance of the art form. During the 1980s a number of folders started systematically studying the mathematical properties of folded forms, which led to a rapid increase in the complexity of origami models.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origami

Japanese crane

Origami-grulla-azul_2.jpg

Flowers

maxresdefault.jpg

Ninja stars

FQ7MV2GJ153ZSED.LARGE.jpg

Fox

bbfad7eadce5ccf7cbacdd13c1fe86d6.jpg

Snake

modular_origami_snake__2_by_origamimodul

Dinosaur

Capa-T-Rex.jpg

Mathematical origami

origami.jpg

Dog face

origami-step-by-step-instructions-of-a-d

Jumping frog

frog.jpg

Boat

maxresdefault.jpg

Fruits modular origami

modular_origami_fruits_by_origamimodulow

Chair

Make-an-Origami-Chair-Step-13.jpg

Star Wars X wing fighter.

fba2cf4cb281ee590325dca23d99fff3.jpg

Darth Vader

how-to-make-darth-vader-origami-tutorial

Yoda

Yoyo-Ferro-Yoda-Origami-537x405.jpg

Butterflies

il_570xN.1205991133_ak5b.jpg?version=0

Ball

980x.jpg

Stars

origamicsillag.jpg

kangaroo

maxresdefault.jpg

Turtle

maxresdefault.jpg

Fish

maxresdefault.jpg

A simple box

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by DACH
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

i used to do dinosaur origami in primary school. that time i was crazy about dinosaurs, and chanced upon a book in the library called "Jurassic Origami" by Edwin Ee. the rest is history...

post-195148-0-87820000-1524979606_thumb.jpg

Edited by kdash

Supersonic
(edited)

Origami cars

Really?

f00a99d1410cdd9e90e5e05d9ed9a6a9.jpg

Worlds-first-origami-car.jpg

4.jpg

lexusorigami2.jpg

12087667_1021889101195627_27650655564363

Cardboard-Origami-Car_Lexus_dezeen_936_1

nissan-juke-full-size-origami-car-design

maxresdefault.jpg

P_Car_Uchiyama.JPG

origami_car_1.jpg

dd0298f53ce40808754e45f437622851--green-

0c57d518dbf8d8733829137cd0b9d3a3--googlemaxresdefault.jpg

il_fullxfull.618177454_jyhg.jpg

0c16f54647fa8412e5fcdd2211b3e37a.jpg

Edited by DACH
  • Praise 1

i used to do dinosaur origami in primary school. that time i was crazy about dinosaurs, and chanced upon a book in the library called "Jurassic Origami" by Edwin Ee. the rest is history...

wish i still remember how to make an origami rose flower........used to make some of my female colleagues go gaga over it........
  • Praise 1

Supersonic

wish i still remember how to make an origami rose flower........used to make some of my female colleagues go gaga over it........

• Praise 1

Wah. U also fold paper like me? [laugh]

Must do a more complicated fold next time. That rock took me a few hours.

ya.....many times when i do mistakes.......

When I was a kid, there was this old man doing origami on TV. My cousins and I will rush to grab papers to follow step by step and fold. Anyone remember this TV program?

I like this when young. Bought the ninja star from a classmate for 20c, then dismantled n reassembled it.

↡ Advertisement