Bid / Buy / Sales of Vehicle Registration Numbers

Dennisk

Ya. So if i successfully bidded a new number, one method is to transfer car ownership of my FIL car to me, put the number, transfer back. So dont need to incur the $1300?

If u do so u still incur as yr FIL car is an “old” car.

LTA very smart already.

↡ Advertisement

Once under your name is considered Old Plate. You put new plate on Your old car yes is $321.

Putting to someone car you do a transfer and he do a retention which is $1300.

Actually if you bid a number and haven't put it on your car yet (ie. unused NEW bidded number), still got chance to transfer without incurring any fees. But it's time consuming- both parties need to go down to LTA to appeal, and to my understanding you can do this ONLY if you can prove with documentation that there's family ties between the 2 parties (in-laws might be subjective).

• Praise 1

Ya. So if i successfully bidded a new number, one method is to transfer car ownership of my FIL car to me, put the number, transfer back. So dont need to incur the $1300?

If you successfully bidded a new number, you first have to get your FIL to transfer his car to your name. His car must be fully paid before he can transfer the car to you. Kindly note that there is a transfer count added to your FIL's car. 

Once his car has been transferred to your name, you can put the bidded number that you successfully bid under your name to the car. Once done, you can transfer the car back to your FIL but there is another transfer count to your FIL car. 

Meaning, this process can be done within 2 hours, but your FIL car will have additional 2 transfer count. You must also make sure your FIL's car is fully paid before this process can be done. 

This process will help you save $1,300 retainment fee.

• Praise 2

If you successfully bidded a new number, you first have to get your FIL to transfer his car to your name. His car must be fully paid before he can transfer the car to you. Kindly note that there is a transfer count added to your FIL's car.

Once his car has been transferred to your name, you can put the bidded number that you successfully bid under your name to the car. Once done, you can transfer the car back to your FIL but there is another transfer count to your FIL car.

Meaning, this process can be done within 2 hours, but your FIL car will have additional 2 transfer count. You must also make sure your FIL's car is fully paid before this process can be done.

By doing this you save $1300 but stand to lose a lot more in terms of the car resale value because of the 2 additional transfer counts.

Actually if you bid a number and haven't put it on your car yet (ie. unused NEW bidded number), still got chance to transfer without incurring any fees. But it's time consuming- both parties need to go down to LTA to appeal, and to my understanding you can do this ONLY if you can prove with documentation that there's family ties between the 2 parties (in-laws might be subjective).

Married cert and Birth Cert should do the trick

Thanks guys, never realise the part on the transfer counts, you mean the number of ownership figure will increase right?

I am trying to bid 2 sets of numbers, 1 unlikely to get and 1 likely to get, because i may not have time to wait for the weekly bidding. So just want to evaluate the various options.

Thanks guys, never realise the part on the transfer counts, you mean the number of ownership figure will increase right?

I am trying to bid 2 sets of numbers, 1 unlikely to get and 1 likely to get, because i may not have time to wait for the weekly bidding. So just want to evaluate the various options.

If transfer both way be up 2 count.

Just keep all documentation. If the car condition is good i won't care abt transfer count.

Married cert and Birth Cert should do the trick

Anyone know if go through this appeal to LTA, with the supporting documents, they will likely approve the transfer with no charges? And there also will not be additional transfer counts? Thanks

By doing this you save $1300 but stand to lose a lot more in terms of the car resale value because of the 2 additional transfer counts.

Yes. U r rite. :)

Yes, the transfer of car ownership...cos LTA dont allow us to sell number plates to another person... but LTA allows us to sell the plates with the car and retain it.

Anyone know if go through this appeal to LTA, with the supporting documents, they will likely approve the transfer with no charges? And there also will not be additional transfer counts? Thanks

U can try... depends how much u bid the numbers....

If $1001, i think dont waste ur time... if $10001... maybe they allow...

I am also waiting for SMG, almost a month since SMF, hope it will be launched this friday.

I dun think SMF release almost a month. It shud be ard 2 weeks bah

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

When an existing car is transfer to another person for the purpose of registering a new/old vehicle number, LTA doesn’t bother if a valid vehicle insurance has been purchased to cover the car?

Thanks.

Hi,

When an existing car is transfer to another person for the purpose of registering a new/old vehicle number, LTA doesnât bother if a valid vehicle insurance has been purchased to cover the car?

Thanks.

On the spot double transfer no need

Hi,

When an existing car is transfer to another person for the purpose of registering a new/old vehicle number, LTA doesn’t bother if a valid vehicle insurance has been purchased to cover the car?

Thanks.

If you do it online, yes you need. because you need to wait for LTA to mail you the transaction pin. During this time,  you will need valid insurance. 

However, if you do the transaction at LTA, which it can be done within 2-3 hours, you do not need a valid insurance because they know the car is used as a tool to move the car plates.

Neutral Newbie

If you do it online, yes you need. because you need to wait for LTA to mail you the transaction pin. During this time,  you will need valid insurance. 

However, if you do the transaction at LTA, which it can be done within 2-3 hours, you do not need a valid insurance because they know the car is used as a tool to move the car plates.

Thanks guys for replying to my doubts ...

I have secured Cat B COE during last week bidding. The car will only be registered 2-3 weeks later according to my sales rep. I'm considering to bid the SMG new VRN of 2-digits. This 2 digits are not those with "8" such as "88", "68"; double similar digits ... What is the safe bet to bid? I saw dealers over at sgcarmart selling like $4k-$5k kind of price ...

If successful, i will retain my current number (also bidded few years ago) to be transferred to my wife's car which i just renewed 10 years COE for her ... which means additional $25 + $ 1300 + $25 ...

TIA ...

↡ Advertisement