Solar panels on HDB roof.

Neutrino

22 hours ago, Wind30 said:

That guy opens a solar panel recycling firm so I take whatever he says with a big dose of salt. It’s true the solar panel has issue with waste but the current state of technology, solar panel benefits far far outweighs its problems already. At the end of the day, the solution will not be just 0ne form of renewable energy but we need to do whatever we can, solar, wind, geothermal, every bit helps.
I was reading up as I was thinking of putting panels on my place. 
has anyone installed panels here? 

ROI for solar panel is very long. Alots of it don't make sense. That's why sembcorp is very agressive in providing free hardware for a subscription fee. By the time you breakeven, it's more or less time to change to hardware. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

5 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

ROI for solar panel is very long. Alots of it don't make sense. That's why sembcorp is very agressive in providing free hardware for a subscription fee. By the time you breakeven, it's more or less time to change to hardware. 

I think the solar cells themselves are pretty efficient even as they age though they degrade in performance. It's probably the other things like the battery/power mx systems that will chui. 

8 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

I think the solar cells themselves are pretty efficient even as they age though they degrade in performance. It's probably the other things like the battery/power mx systems that will chui. 

It's not just that. While the cells don't degrade that fast, other components inside the panel are not. One example is the weather proof films behind the panel. Good ones can last 10 years but alot can't. Once those films loses its weather proof properties, you need to change the whole panel. Also, solar panels require proper maintenance and cleaning to work optimally.

Other things like the direction of your house matters and the sun will change direction throughout the year so you will not get consistent output. 

While green energy is something to promote, I find many of these solution providers are painting a very good picture and hiding all the negatives. 

• Praise 2

3 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

It's not just that. While the cells don't degrade that fast, other components inside the panel are not. One example is the weather proof films behind the panel. Good ones can last 10 years but alot can't. Once those films loses its weather proof properties, you need to change the whole panel. Also, solar panels require proper maintenance and cleaning to work optimally.

Other things like the direction of your house matters and the sun will change direction throughout the year so you will not get consistent output. 

While green energy is something to promote, I find many of these solution providers are painting a very good picture and hiding all the negatives. 

The biggest negative is 30% efficiency

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

The biggest negative is 30% efficiency

Free energy bro 😄

Even at 10% efficiency, if the cost output ratio makes sense, it’s still good 👍🏻 

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Sturtles said:

Free energy bro 😄

Even at 10% efficiency, if the cost output ratio makes sense, it’s still good 👍🏻 

It is not good as it stretch the return period longer.

Countries like Australia has shorter return period due to higher efficiency.

Turbocharged
8 hours ago, inlinesix said:

It is not good as it stretch the return period longer.

Countries like Australia has shorter return period due to higher efficiency.

You got it correct. Then why HDB is so aggressive? They have shares in these PV companies? I have yet to hear any building here getting their ROI for what they have installed. 

7 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

You got it correct. Then why HDB is so aggressive? They have shares in these PV companies? I have yet to hear any building here getting their ROI for what they have installed. 

It's a propaganda. Gahmen is pushing v hard to deploy solar panels be it good or bad. 

Sembcorp is selling the subscription plans for a contract of 25 years (for industrial buildings). Rate for power consumption is almost the same grid. It is ridiculous. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

11 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

It's a propaganda. Gahmen is pushing v hard to deploy solar panels be it good or bad. 

Sembcorp is selling the subscription plans for a contract of 25 years (for industrial buildings). Rate for power consumption is almost the same grid. It is ridiculous. 

Buy buy. Sembcorp shares. 

1 hour ago, Victor68 said:

Most of our energy is imported.

With Solar, it will reduce our reliance on imported energy.

In addition, there is free space on HDB roof.

1 hour ago, Stratovarius said:

Just like push for EV......I have not even hear of any official guideline or solution for all the used EV batteries in years to come.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Most of our energy is imported.

With Solar, it will reduce our reliance on imported energy.

In addition, there is free space on HDB roof.

Very true but if no ROI, we should still go ahead? there is no other better way to generate electricity or we have to just follow?

41 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

Very true but if no ROI, we should still go ahead? there is no other better way to generate electricity or we have to just follow?

In Singapore, there is only 1 choice.  Unless ppl don't mind Nuclear Fusion.

Confirm got ROI.  It depends on wholesale electricity price vs expense (maintenance + rental + depreciation).

If not, we just continue with Gas Turbine or import electricity.

On 7/18/2022 at 9:42 PM, Wind30 said:

That guy opens a solar panel recycling firm so I take whatever he says with a big dose of salt. It’s true the solar panel has issue with waste but the current state of technology, solar panel benefits far far outweighs its problems already. At the end of the day, the solution will not be just 0ne form of renewable energy but we need to do whatever we can, solar, wind, geothermal, every bit helps.
I was reading up as I was thinking of putting panels on my place. 
has anyone installed panels here? 

my friend installed it 8 years ago, ROI is 10 to 12 years. 

I jsut got a quote, for one side of my 45 degree roof, about 6x 7 m, $13.4k. ROI 5 years.  I am getting a few more quotes, not so much to compare price but to know more about their package, material, warranty , after sales service etc before taking a plunge. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

I jsut got a quote, for one side of my 45 degree roof, about 6x 7 m, $13.4k. ROI 5 years.  I am getting a few more quotes, not so much to compare price but to know more about their package, material, warranty , after sales service etc before taking a plunge. 

your friend installer still around? I think look for old companies that will last?

how is his panel doing? Maintenance cost? good example, not easy to find someone with 8 years experience.

Edited by Wind30

1 minute ago, Wind30 said:

your friend installer still around? I think look for old companies that will last?

Need to ask him, i tried union, no response, Singpower, ai mai ai mai, Semcorp, passing emails around. can imagine how good their business is. 

• Haha! 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

How many kW system? 45 degree angle not so ideal for here. Ideally around 5 degree just to let water flow. 

Edited by Volvobrick
↡ Advertisement