Best Value Compact SUV

fungyee77

Toyota CHR 1.8 Hybrid G Led, for looks, performance, FC, great ride.

FC, price, safety features, reliability, value for money, name it, got it...except no sunroof. But black top, this car pulls it off very well.

↡ Advertisement

Why compare with Australia? Totally different market. Uniquely Singapore issues with regards to new car purchases are - COE, OMV, CEVS, taxes, etc.

When we talk of value in Singapore, I consider the annual depreciation $ versus specifications & features of the cars. There is also the brand value to factor in too. How much $ to attach to MB or BMW vs Hyundai or Honda etc is very subjective. But badge goes a long way to perceived value of cars. As the Hokkien saying goes: "want cheap, want fresh & want big". Best value is subjective and dependent on personal biases too. Different folks perceive value differently. Buy car is emotional purchase, so the heart most times will rule over the head.

My thought is Since we are unique, then we should remove those unique factors from the equation (aka make them constant).

So instead of basing the comparision base on absolute value, why not change it to relative?

Example in many other countries, forester is equivalent to it's peer (CRV) or should i say more ex than many. If i remember correctly, it might be similar or slighty cheaper than the lexus RX by few k.

So in term of value, i will rank it at higher ranking than others as it is so much cheaper than it's peers here

i believe subaru forester only strategy is "pricing"

there is no other way to "attract" buyer

soccer mum and dad looking for suv dont matter the "power"

even i like power i will not buy forester xt because of CVT

no matter what people say ... i am not buying to CVT .... at least not for now where i have other choice

if i accept CVT i will get Vezel ... no horse run [thumbsup]

The honda Vezel looks ideal, but for some reasons, the rear suspension is lacking very badly. Comfort wise, can't beat CHR. My wife clock 25.6kn/L yesterday on a 40 km journey, my personal best so far is 27.3km/L. The CVT handling is rather smooth, overall good drive.

Yes, I think its important, but evaluating prices in Singapore does not tell you where the potential arbitrages are.

For instance, if you were in Malaysia and did comprehensive research on Malaysian prices, you would find that the BMW X5 xDrive40e is priced at MYR388k, and the Vellfire 2.5L is priced at MYR355k. That is your reality, and you make the decision based on that reality.

But if you took the trouble to check the prices globally, or even just in SIngapore, you find that the same Vellfire is priced at SGD170k vs SGD400k+ for an equivalent X5. So if you had MYR400k to spend and wanted the best value buy, you only have access to that information to execute an arbitrage buy if you did global price benchmarking.

Similarly, with no benchmarking, the Singapore pricing reality is that the CRV is priced at a SGD20-30k premium to the Forester XT. But with global benchmarking, its clear that the XT is priced in line with or more than the CRV in most markets. So again, if you are looking for a value buy, it would make more sense to buy a XT than a CRV.

Again, many don't care, and say its heart over head. But for me, best value is perhaps more important than best, on balance.

Just like harrier cost sgd80-90k in malaysia but in here cost 140k for pi unit basically the diff only coe pricing.

But if u see car brand like 5er or even cx5, price diff between sg and malaysia about 2 coe price.

For example cx5 here cost ard sgd 130-150k but in malaysia only sgd 40k to 55k

Value is very subjective term.

What one find value in might not be value for another person.

Agreed.

But I see one model prone to flip for a lost in value rather profit...

Value is very subjective term.

What one find value in might not be value for another person.

I was not trying to answer the question of whether one car is better than another - ie is the CRV, Forester, Sportage or CX-5 the better car - that's subjective. 

What I was trying to determine is - within a group of cars that's priced similarly in other major markets, which cars are relatively overpriced and which represent better value in Singapore?  

My favourite car within the category may be the CR-V, but if I knew that I was paying a 20-30% premium over my globally agreed comp set, I would think thrice. The problem is that of lack of local awareness of what the right comp set is and where the global pricing relativities are, hence that was the driver for the analysis. 

In other words, even if I loved the BMW 5-series, I am not sure I would (hypothetically) agree to pay 20-30% premium over an equivalent spec E-class for it, especially when the 5-series and the E-class is priced similarly in most major markets globally. 

The one comp I wanted to include but couldn't (due to lack of global pricing points) was the Harrier Turbo. Nonetheless, I think that's fantastic value for what you get - high quality interior, class leading in respect of power, cabin spaciousness, and autonomous driving features. 

Edited by Fungyee77
  • Praise 3

The compact SUV segment is the probably the most competitive segment in the market today, with superb new entries such as the new CR-V (my personal favourite), new Tiguan, new CX-5, highly acclaimed Sportage, Tucson, facelifted X-Trail, Forester etc. And pricing in Singapore spans from SGD110k-ish for base versions of Forester/Tucson to almost SGD200k for the Tiguan R-line.

Putting aside the question of which is best, I wondered which is best value. Because of differing AD margins, OMV games, and pricing dynamics due to strong brand loyalties, the car pricing in Singapore can be quite out of line with the rest of the world. I wanted to figure out, for instance, how fair is the SGD160k being asked for the new CR-V, Tiguan etc?

Have set out the summary table in the spreadsheet link below, and the methodology below that. There are many possible methodologies, but this is a quick and dirty one that appears to provide reasonably defensible conclusions. 

Essentially, the quick and dirty conclusions appear to be:-

1. Median SUV is Nissan X-Trail, which is priced about at the average price of the segment for both Singapore and Australia

2. Best value compact SUVs in SIngapore are

- Forester XT: Priced 8% above average in Australia and 9% below average in Singapore

- Sportage 2.0 GT: Priced 7% above average in Australia and 10% below average in Singapore

3. For the new SUVs:

- CR-V: the 7 seater CR-V is considerably better value that the 5-seater.

- Tiguan 1.4: Not great value if priced at SGD160k. In Australia, this is priced below the equivalent X-Trail. 

- CX-5: Best value for a new SUV.

It was an interesting experiment for me, so thought I'd share the conclusions above. Am not saying this is the definitive guide, but its a useful perspective. 

Spreadsheet link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Nh8lN2guUJ6dh_Nt53i2zQMaW3wSCTB-v1lItsz88Z0/edit?usp=sharing

Methodology:-

1. Australia pricing was used as the comp set because:-

- Both RHD countries

- Both countries import all the cars being compared, so no local content taxation distortions

- All cars compared are non-luxury models, so no luxury tax considerations in Australia

- All are Cat B cars, so no COE distortions in Singapore

2. Used mid to high spec cars for comps

- Pricing range is between AUD35 to 42k 

- No point comparing poverty spec versions because the versions sold in Singapore are all mid to high spec

3. Compared cars using identical / similar spec levels in both countries

- Had to make some manual adjustments for engine/features set differential in Australia for some cars

4. Used recommended retail price in Australia, and listed in Singapore 

- For Forester XT, last known pricing was about SGD127k, but other cars are mostly listed price

- Can amend spreadsheet if anyone can provide updated numbers

Forester should be removed from the Best Value SUV list,

its purchase price is low but running cost is high,-- FC high, Insurance High, maintenance cost high...

its purchase price is low but running cost is high,-- FC high, Insurance High, maintenance cost high...

If one travel less than 5 or 10k a year, high FC may not be a major concerns. As for insurance, there are way to go around for lower. U just need to do the homework.

Maintenance cost high than other SUV? How do u get this awareness?

purchase price offset cheaper by at least 20-30k compare to Harrier/CX5

In what way the FC high, insurance high and maintenance cost high (difference) is able to equate to this 20-30k?

• Praise 2

Forester is considered compact SUV? CR-V is a touch grey - but I would compare the FXT with the likes of Harrier/RX rather than in the compact SUV class.

Just my humble tuppence

purchase price offset cheaper by at least 20-30k compare to Harrier/CX5

In what way the FC high, insurance high and maintenance cost high (difference) is able to equate to this 20-30k?

Forester (non XT) is not at the same level compared to Harrier/CX5..

OMV is also much lower.

20-30k cheaper is correct..

And at the end of the day, actually nothing $much$ to offset after factor in high FC & maintenance cost (I'm not sure about the insurance cost)

Edited by Toomuchtorque

Forester is considered compact SUV? CR-V is a touch grey - but I would compare the FXT with the likes of Harrier/RX rather than in the compact SUV class.

Just my humble tuppence

Yes it is. I used the classification system of the US for consistency in crafting the comp set (too ensure we compare apples to apples). You can check sites like USNews for a full listing of the vehicles in the class.

The compact SUV class in the US is probably considered mid sized in UK or most other countries.

Harrier would probably be considered a compact SUV as well (similar sized to Nissan Xtrail), while the RX is probably luxury mid sized.

SUVs like the CX3, CH-R, Vezel etc are in the sub-compact class.

Forester (non XT) is not at the same level compared to Harrier/CX5..

OMV is also much lower.

20-30k cheaper is correct..

And at the end of the day, actually nothing $much$ to offset after factor in high FC & maintenance cost (I'm not sure about the insurance cost)

XT is around 124k, Non XT is around 108k. Harrier/CX5 should be around 15X

different folks different strokes. Insurance for me is 1.4k with 20% NCD, less than 30yo which i think is quite normal. 

XT is around 124k, Non XT is around 108k. Harrier/CX5 should be around 15X

different folks different strokes. Insurance for me is 1.4k with 20% NCD, less than 30yo which i think is quite normal. 

But even the XT, I think omv is about 19k..

So probably depreciation is about 11.6k per year

Let's say depreciation for a Harrier is about 13.4k per year base 150k with an omv of 32k

So difference is about 1.8k per year

With the high FC + maintenance cost of the XT.. probably will set you back 1-2k more per year (could be even more) as compare to the FC + maintanence cost of a Harrier.  I assume both insurance cost is the same.

So in the end is about the same.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Toomuchtorque
↡ Advertisement