Calling All Line Managers: "Bell Curve" and rating your team

Sabian

In reality, how could all 5 be equally good? There will be a couple of star performers and couple of poor ones. If you reward them equally, the only ones who benefit are the poor performers. No prizes for guessing what will happen if your stars leave.

I find using 'harmony' as the excuse for rewarding everyone equally to be really unfair, but hey, there are still people who believe in communism.

Job security for the manager.  [thumbsup]

:D

↡ Advertisement

Just give the big bonus to the staff that cover up your mistakes,

pretend you went for a meeting when you were skiving at work etc etc  [thumbsup]

My company also uses the bell curve system as a guide to rate the performance of the staff.

However a lot depends on how well his superior fight for him in a meeting with his boss.

For example the section managers are supposed to rate their staff based on the bell curve provided as a guide.

Usually they will try to put more at the higher end and less at the lower end of the curve.

When the department manager received all the appraisals from his section manager, he will call out a meeting with his section managers and decide who should be 'demoted' from the bell curve. This is the time when the section managers need to present why his subordinates deserved the ratings. After listening to all the section managers, the department manager will decide who should remained and who should be 'demoted' from the initial recommendation.

I remember in such a meeting last year, one of the section managers loses all his recommendations for promotions and better ratings for his staff because he is not fierce enough to fight for them.

My boss was even better! She managed to convince the top management why our Business Unit deserved better and we are the only one in the company that does not need to be confined by the company's bell curve. [bounce1]

My company also uses the bell curve system as a guide to rate the performance of the staff.

However a lot depends on how well his superior fight for him in a meeting with his boss.

For example the section managers are supposed to rate their staff based on the bell curve provided as a guide.

Usually they will try to put more at the higher end and less at the lower end of the curve.

When the department manager received all the appraisals from his section manager, he will call out a meeting with his section managers and decide who should be 'demoted' from the bell curve. This is the time when the section managers need to present why his subordinates deserved the ratings. After listening to all the section managers, the department manager will decide who should remained and who should be 'demoted' from the initial recommendation.

I remember in such a meeting last year, one of the section managers loses all his recommendations for promotions and better ratings for his staff because he is not fierce enough to fight for them.

My boss was even better! She managed to convince the top management why our Business Unit deserved better and we are the only one in the company that does not need to be confined by the company's bell curve. [bounce1]

That's easy too.

The one that didn't cover up your mistakes,

or pretend you went for a meeting when you were skiving at work etc etc    [thumbsup]

That's easy too.

The one that didn't cover up your mistakes,

or pretend you went for a meeting when you were skiving at work etc etc    [thumbsup]

No lah! I was about to say I managed to push all my recommendations through at his expense but was afraid ppl say I hao lian! So low key a bit...   :whisper:

• Praise 1

Precisely! And that's why all the HR processes are bull-crap. Just waste a lot of time doing reviews, performance appraisals, etc.

It's all decided in a meeting like an auction [laugh]

So again I say whatever you do, if you want to be promoted, your work has to be visible (and thus your rating easily defended) during these free-for-alls.

There is no single appraisal system thats fair cause the defination of fair is different from 1 way to another. In the end of the day, its not your performance that counts, its your boss perception on you that count. In another word, your boss likes you or not.

• Praise 2

In reality, how could all 5 be equally good? There will be a couple of star performers and couple of poor ones. If you reward them equally, the only ones who benefit are the poor performers. No prizes for guessing what will happen if your stars leave.

I find using 'harmony' as the excuse for rewarding everyone equally to be really unfair, but hey, there are still people who believe in communism.

Ahahaha back to bell curve again..

Precisely! And that's why all the HR processes are bull-crap. Just waste a lot of time doing reviews, performance appraisals, etc.

It's all decided in a meeting like an auction [laugh]

So again I say whatever you do, if you want to be promoted, your work has to be visible (and thus your rating easily defended) during these free-for-alls.

Yalor.

It's called K-P-I

↡ Advertisement