COE bidding - 1st round of Feb 2017

therock

It was initially a forum discussing COE, and became a forum complaining marginal buyers should not own a car and eventually saw post claiming marginal buyers are causing the rise in COE. How is marginal buyers defined? Are all 80% HDB owners marginal buyers? Probably the marginal buyers are paying more tax combined.

2 legs good four legs better?

I do agree not everyone can own a car

Not everyone wants to own a car

And not everyone needs a car.

Agreed with you ... some of the forumers also like to blame those rich one buy CAT A car below $100,000 and push up the COE ... as mentioned before we should thanks the Ubor , crab and LDA to make COE remain high despite more quotas .
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

It was initially a forum discussing COE, and became a forum complaining marginal buyers should not own a car and eventually saw post claiming marginal buyers are causing the rise in COE. How is marginal buyers defined? Are all 80% HDB owners marginal buyers? Probably the marginal buyers are paying more tax combined.

2 legs good four legs better?

I do agree not everyone can own a car

Not everyone wants to own a car

And not everyone needs a car.

Marginal buyers do not push up the COE, but a marginal buyer needs to do his or her maths to see if they should buy a car.

HDB dwellers are not marginal.

A marginal buyer is someone who may have just enough to eke out money to buy a car, with no reserve, and may not have accounted for additional expenses, and come to try his or her luck.

Then when buying, they want to bid for the lowest category, omit all kinds of features, and yet complain if he or she doesn't get the car, because they feel no AD has a right to make some money.

10k is a huge and unreasonable margin for them, and a car must be sold at cost.

Most buyers do not fall into this category, and their abode is not a marker of whether one is marginal.

You can stay in a condo and still do poorly at budget management, and have trouble forking out for a car. Marginal buyers also emerge when the COE drops and they wish to try their luck. This does increase the bid amount.

Conversely, a HDB dweller can be very cash rich and can afford an S class easily. He or she may just choose to stay in a HDB, enjoy Gov subsidies and live near an MRT.

Simple lah ....

Got money buy ... no money .... BMW.

Buy new car and compromise your lifestyle .... not for me.

I have said more than once.... there is a car for any budget. Why die die must talk about COE and new car.

Marginal buyers ..... it is their choice.

Marginal buyers do not push up the COE, but a marginal buyer needs to do his or her maths to see if they should buy a car.

HDB dwellers are not marginal.

A marginal buyer is someone who may have just enough to eke out money to buy a car, with no reserve, and may not have accounted for additional expenses, and come to try his or her luck.

Then when buying, they want to bid for the lowest category, omit all kinds of features, and yet complain if he or she doesn't get the car, because they feel no AD has a right to make some money.

10k is a huge and unreasonable margin for them, and a car must be sold at cost.

Most buyers do not fall into this category, and their abode is not a marker of whether one is marginal.

You can stay in a condo and still do poorly at budget management, and have trouble forking out for a car. Marginal buyers also emerge when the COE drops and they wish to try their luck. This does increase the bid amount.

Conversely, a HDB dweller can be very cash rich and can afford an S class easily. He or she may just choose to stay in a HDB, enjoy Gov subsidies and live near an MRT.

I think most buyer rush in when there is a drop in COE and others are waiting for it to drop even further. Anyone here is still waiting for COE to reach its peak? Edited by Darius

I don't see what was posted as elitism. More of in your face democracy and meritocracy.

You work hard, you get ahead, you pay your dues in all forms of taxes and fees, you enjoy the fruits of your hard work. Period.

I don't intend to rub anything in anyone's face, but it's a dose of hard realism:

That not everyone will have a car. And it's not the end of life as we know it.

Edited by therock

i can be a so called marginal buyer...i only go for basic car for my day  to day ride even afford to get a better class .... i dont need a high end car...

my angmo coliq, company director also goes for low end car instead

i can be a so called marginal buyer...i only go for basic car for my day  to day ride even afford to get a better class .... i dont need a high end car...

If you can buy a bigger car, you aren't a marginal buyer, you are a prudent spender, cheers  [drivingcar]

Simple lah ....

Got money buy ... no money .... BMW.

Buy new car and compromise your lifestyle .... not for me.

I have said more than once.... there is a car for any budget. Why die die must talk about COE and new car.

Marginal buyers ..... it is their choice.

the problem with SG mentality is the sense of ENTITLEMENT.  Alot of complainers who thinks that someone owe them a living, and they are entitled to a car, private house, maid, good school, good job.

• Praise 2

can you please spell properly??

its e-LEE-tism ffs.... 

OMG... this is a joke la...    :a-whiteflag:

i dont care abt the points.. take it.. u can have it.. but have the balls to leave your nick....   :XD:

• Praise 5

Twincharged

Marginal buyers are not people who buy B&B cars. They are those who buy car already no money left for any other things. The kind of people who have to skip maintenance, go jb pump petrol, tailgate out of carpark. Lol.

• Praise 3

I don't see what was posted as elitism. More of in your face democracy and meritocracy.

You work hard, you get ahead, you pay your dues in all forms of taxes and fees, you enjoy the fruits of your hard work. Period.

It's not elitism to me, but it's harsh reality to everyone. And sometimes, people interpret it as elitism.

They fail to recognise that a car is a big ticket item, a luxury item, only for those that can afford. They think of a car as a necessity.. just because they have kids or old folks to ferry around, coming up with every excuse under the sun to justify why it's not a want, but a need  :D

For me, beggars cannot be choosers. I choose to believe in this so I work hard make sure I can afford what I wanna buy. Be it cars or private properties.

• Praise 3

Marginal buyers in this context means people with budget contraints that forbid them from entering the market, pull all the strings, break all the piggy banks at home, take up all the loan liao, play the waiting game alr, still half-hearted to take the plunge. And when they do, a lot aspects of their daily lifestyle gets sacrificed or affected just to maintain the costs of car ownership.

Your type and corlick, no matter what, also enter market one, so not marginal buyer in a sense.

i can be a so called marginal clothing buyer...i only go for basic work shirt from G-2000 for my day  to day office work even afford to get a better brand like armani/vesace .... i dont need a high end work shirts......

my angmo coliq, company director also goes for low end work shirt instead

and you can substitute cars/clothings with anything else that are not quitessential and without any other options.

That's why I say, when we have the means, and yet we don't go out and get it all on that big ticket item, that does Not make us a marginal buyer.

It makes us prudent spenders.

Conversely, the marginal buyer barely has the means and despite wisdom and his calculator telling him or her otherwise, they still go out and sign for the car.

Edited by therock
  • Praise 1

Twincharged

That's why I say, when we have the means, and yet we don't go out and get it all on that big ticket item, that does Not make us a marginal buyer.

It makes us prudent spenders.

Conversely, the marginal buyer barely has the means and despite wisdom and his calculator telling him or her otherwise, they still go out and sign for the car.

Yup. Merc(or any other higher end brands) buyer can be marginal buyer also - if after buying the car, he has to scrimp and save whenever he can.

Edited by Nzy

"Only people not in the elite group (like you?) will scream elitism lah" 

An anonymous user (coward) commented & disliked my post.

Your English v lousy leh. I wasn't saying the post earlier by Therock is elitism, I'm just saying some people may feel that way, especially those cannot afford new cars comfortably.

Elite group, got such group? How to sign up?

↡ Advertisement