Home repair advice needed

nazerath

1 hour ago, Stratovarius said:

The wires are concealed, but likely to come from the ceiling. Since you are moving up the switch, you might have enough wire. An estimation I usually use is if you are shifting the switch say, 3inches to the right, you need to move the also move the switch at least 3 inches up to use the length of same wire.

Just curious how you going to run the wires within the wall? You can use a terminal block to extend the wire easily if you can cut a groove in the wall.

Actually I would rather not cut the wall if I can don't do so. So I will run the wires on the outside, something like what bro t0y0ta described.

↡ Advertisement

2 minutes ago, Dafansu said:

usually need to extend the wiring. likely u need to install box version as can't drill a hole in the wall. 

conceal-switch-point-e1526224735357.jpg

Thanks for the pic! Hope you didn't specially pluck out your switch just to take a pic 😅 Is that an example of the box version?

Turbocharged
35 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

Thanks for the pic! Hope you didn't specially pluck out your switch just to take a pic 😅 Is that an example of the box version?

this is found online, it's wall version, box means will pop out, if not how u going to put on the flat wall

My shoe cabinet position overlap with light switch.  The switch is moved to the side of the cabinet. 

The wiring runs from inside the cabinet.

• Praise 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, boonhat_91 said:

Just to clarify, my wardrobe in question is those standalone ikea type, not carpentry built-in one. So mounting the switch on the cupboard is not my top choice, though I have considered as well.

Then the simplest option is to pull the wire out (extend if needed) and run a surface trunking to the new switch location. Cover the old hole with this:

Screenshot_20200723_144434.thumb.jpg.295aec38b7a69ea7520679f13d16b168.jpg

Drill a hole on the cover and pull the wires through before running them in the surface trunking. You don't want to have exposed wires dangling. 

Again the shop will be very sian to sell you 10 cm of trunking!

Ps. Use small concrete nails to secure the bottom half of the trunking. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

Just to clarify, my wardrobe in question is those standalone ikea type, not carpentry built-in one. So mounting the switch on the cupboard is not my top choice, though I have considered as well.

ahhhhhh .... 

anyway, I thought of something. The architrave switch you want only comes in 1 Gang, but your current one is 2 gang. so maybe you have no choice but to mount in on the wardrobe ..... unless one switch is unused currently

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 2

49 minutes ago, Othello said:

ahhhhhh .... 

anyway, I thought of something. The architrave switch you want only comes in 1 Gang, but your current one is 2 gang. so maybe you have no choice but to mount in on the wardrobe ..... unless one switch is unused currently

I think architrave switch got 2 gang 3 gang version also have, but anyway I live in this house 20+ years still have not figured out what the present 2nd switch is for 😂

• Haha! 1

30 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

I think architrave switch got 2 gang 3 gang version also have, but anyway I live in this house 20+ years still have not figured out what the present 2nd switch is for 😂

Bro, Have you seen how it looks like? 🤣

Screenshot_20200723-174132.thumb.png.87063d24f4cab5c4cfb43143a754048f.png

Hypersonic
39 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

Don't doubt the expert. 😄

• Haha! 1

20 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Got 2 gang lah! 

Screenshot_20200723_175537.thumb.jpg.d73c9b99b5eb1fef8b8554e85a52747d.jpg

Wah seh....... I first time see. Hopefully can find in SG. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

My box switch looks like this..

If the red circle is to screw in the front plate, and the green circle is to screw the box into the wall, does that mean I have to cut/drill extra hole on the box to run my wires through?

4Vs3kyCCuQd4iY62EnUohUNNuz4z9DNGZMTGVS-6-khEAMyGI7CryGzZmnn4o9isATzjNVasnmWcJKi93fgmQvn7DlNrqRhfNOYzjQs1YTh2C_TriwZ2lr45Vun4mLTewSKuSQjHn3tcriOAnzuegQ_20xmrIUwqYxjMuX7PJX4GsqHa5SQ_koXl6Y8gtgGWUmR7-3wdZ27SYq7Uz8OdKcTalpvA69vUwBVAiZeqDsR4l_TbCpkllev31dFRY4Ie23fzr3un_HHv-5xs4_qDn5rSS4J2f1v844rUTZ3zuFfydD3jbASMyO__X9jRcYvmwfvO-TuhP78ehaAF6qnA9XUCl2DbspERgxS154TSlPB8grKj8MvfuITSoLxFpsjDtJjsV-ufoIJYjYqGh25X2mmx_kuNRZSpF6YpsZ0YCg5rphQ-kqaI9FQUHdBx1k4gkvHQUbzUnUgfikBEHO8nfVWBUdLMgBuZLISurDUdGy8tf2oWjESdqLKwp6apxbirv5FjzRuSOU0tPtFSBv_rjzUH6ADmaiCMRx6kHVbqL8DyBBvIrRVcUiISHLWQsK_kc8DwJyHHzACHT-ivdyGRbORY1TkkW5GNE7hDJs84TzE-tKLydoRjqpQF2B60X909IRENbEKRw6S6FvuBzJ5x3cA-6zzXS-gHglOlFvPKwi0nXF19ZMJ9kCrR0brC_w=s993-no?authuser=0

26 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

My box switch looks like this..

If the red circle is to screw in the front plate, and the green circle is to screw the box into the wall, does that mean I have to cut/drill extra hole on the box to run my wires through?

4Vs3kyCCuQd4iY62EnUohUNNuz4z9DNGZMTGVS-6-khEAMyGI7CryGzZmnn4o9isATzjNVasnmWcJKi93fgmQvn7DlNrqRhfNOYzjQs1YTh2C_TriwZ2lr45Vun4mLTewSKuSQjHn3tcriOAnzuegQ_20xmrIUwqYxjMuX7PJX4GsqHa5SQ_koXl6Y8gtgGWUmR7-3wdZ27SYq7Uz8OdKcTalpvA69vUwBVAiZeqDsR4l_TbCpkllev31dFRY4Ie23fzr3un_HHv-5xs4_qDn5rSS4J2f1v844rUTZ3zuFfydD3jbASMyO__X9jRcYvmwfvO-TuhP78ehaAF6qnA9XUCl2DbspERgxS154TSlPB8grKj8MvfuITSoLxFpsjDtJjsV-ufoIJYjYqGh25X2mmx_kuNRZSpF6YpsZ0YCg5rphQ-kqaI9FQUHdBx1k4gkvHQUbzUnUgfikBEHO8nfVWBUdLMgBuZLISurDUdGy8tf2oWjESdqLKwp6apxbirv5FjzRuSOU0tPtFSBv_rjzUH6ADmaiCMRx6kHVbqL8DyBBvIrRVcUiISHLWQsK_kc8DwJyHHzACHT-ivdyGRbORY1TkkW5GNE7hDJs84TzE-tKLydoRjqpQF2B60X909IRENbEKRw6S6FvuBzJ5x3cA-6zzXS-gHglOlFvPKwi0nXF19ZMJ9kCrR0brC_w=s993-no?authuser=0

Yes. Just start with the smallest hole at the base (close to wall surface). Enlarge slightly only if too small. 

• Praise 1

haha, ok lah, at home no one see.

Lighting cable, protected by the MCB bah (most likely 6A rated). Just buy some electrical tape and wrap ard lor

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2