Home repair advice needed

nazerath

8 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

Hi all, I intend to move an existing wardrobe to the right of the door and unfortunately due to its dimensions the wardrobe left edge just about touches the right edge of the aircon remote, meaning my light switch will be blocked. Hence I also intend to relocate the light switch closer to the doorframe. A conventional switchplate is still too big, but today I learnt an 'architrave' switch is what I'm looking for! 

The thing is, I would like to relocate the switch as non-invasively as possible, so basically I will stick or screw in the new switch (with pattress box) in the area above the aircon remote. In this scenario I would have to run the wiring from where the existing switchplate is to the new switch 2-3cm away, running externally.

My question is, is there enough length of wire behind the switchplate to do this, or do I need to extend the wires?

46CuWGfVOxwmToeCi5xLEKbNO0KTb5Lff25mpmXzyLf8QEO_L07cRtkzft-bsep5kxZmfMVAu-vPgF7YGGkZ3vmZ_W7G8xUHszXitJry=s3000

Only when you open the switch then you will know. Very easy to open.

↡ Advertisement

8 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

Hi all, I intend to move an existing wardrobe to the right of the door and unfortunately due to its dimensions the wardrobe left edge just about touches the right edge of the aircon remote, meaning my light switch will be blocked. Hence I also intend to relocate the light switch closer to the doorframe. A conventional switchplate is still too big, but today I learnt an 'architrave' switch is what I'm looking for! 

The thing is, I would like to relocate the switch as non-invasively as possible, so basically I will stick or screw in the new switch (with pattress box) in the area above the aircon remote. In this scenario I would have to run the wiring from where the existing switchplate is to the new switch 2-3cm away, running externally.

My question is, is there enough length of wire behind the switchplate to do this, or do I need to extend the wires?

46CuWGfVOxwmToeCi5xLEKbNO0KTb5Lff25mpmXzyLf8QEO_L07cRtkzft-bsep5kxZmfMVAu-vPgF7YGGkZ3vmZ_W7G8xUHszXitJry=s3000

Use wifi switch 

Least effort

Smart Life / Tuya WiFi 2.4GHz + RF433 Smart Wall Switch UK - Neutral Wiring Not Required - Compatible with Google Home & Amazon Alexa - Available in 1, 2, 3 Gang https://s.lazada.sg/s.rdiU

• Praise 3

(edited)
15 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Use wifi switch 

Least effort

Smart Life / Tuya WiFi 2.4GHz + RF433 Smart Wall Switch UK - Neutral Wiring Not Required - Compatible with Google Home & Amazon Alexa - Available in 1, 2, 3 Gang https://s.lazada.sg/s.rdiU

I have plenty of these (about 10 Sonoff ones - very cheap on Shopee nowadays). RF control is a must. But the switch will be behind the wardrobe, thus a hole will need to be cut for access or to mount the wifi switch.

One limiting factor is, there must be a neutral wire in the box for the Wi-Fi switch to work. This is unlikely as normally you only see Live wires for light switches. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1

Is your wardrobe sliding door type?

Just saw a square hole at the back of the wardrobe where the switch is can liao what. Then place your wardrobe over the switch. 

It becomes a hidden switch. No need to play with wires. 😂

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I have plenty of these (about 10 Sonoff ones - very cheap on Shopee nowadays). RF control is a must. But the switch will be behind the wardrobe, thus a hole will need to be cut for access or to mount the wifi switch.

No need what

before he move the wardrobe, change it. Then move the wardrobe lor 

but if the switch spoil, then he thng kor :XD:

• Haha! 2

25 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Just saw a square hole at the back of the wardrobe where the switch is can liao what. Then place your wardrobe over the switch. 

lizard can also go take nap inside wardrobe [laugh]

2 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Then every time I want to on the light I need to open the wardrobe haha

It's not the sliding door type - btw what is 'normal-opening-type' called ah 😅

2 hours ago, Adrianli said:

Only when you open the switch then you will know. Very easy to open.

Of course, but I would prefer to do everything in one sitting. Don't want to go through the trouble of opening first then sian half if realise that I need to go buy extension wires.

On that note, extension wire need to look for a certain type? Or any kind of electric wire will do?

Hypersonic
2 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

Of course, but I would prefer to do everything in one sitting. Don't want to go through the trouble of opening first then sian half if realise that I need to go buy extension wires.

On that note, extension wire need to look for a certain type? Or any kind of electric wire will do?

Just find an electrician to solve the problem for you. Some money cannot save one.

• Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

Just grab some old cords for kettle/rice cooker and strip out the inner wires. That's more than enough thickness. Lights use very little current compared to kitchen appliances.

You go to the shop and buy 10 cm of wires they also very sian selling to you!

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

12 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

The wires are concealed, but likely to come from the ceiling. Since you are moving up the switch, you might have enough wire. An estimation I usually use is if you are shifting the switch say, 3inches to the right, you need to move the also move the switch at least 3 inches up to use the length of same wire.

Just curious how you going to run the wires within the wall? You can use a terminal block to extend the wire easily if you can cut a groove in the wall.

Twincharged
12 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

You need to open up the current one to check the spare length.  You can always use some crimp connectors to extend (more secured since it will be behind the wardrobe).  Avoid using the screw-type connector since it will not be accessible when it rusts.

50pcs-Insulated-Straight-Butt-Connectors-Electrical-Crimp-Terminals-Assorted-Kits-Wire-Cable-Terminal-For-Electrical-Tools.jpg_q50.thumb.jpg.ede1d606c14e0056160e2a34cc641517.jpg

Alternatively if the wires come from the ceiling, move the new switch higher up and re-route the existing wires higher too.  Crimp connectors should be the easiest though.  You can even consider mounting the existing switch on the side of the new wardrobe running the wires inside.  Your carpenter will have to cover the back properly though.

I would follow your last option and mount the switch on the cupboard. Cleanest and still easy to access the wall portion If really need to. 

• Praise 1

Supercharged
12 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

Another way is to

1) dismantle the existing light switch panel, leave the wires dangling first

2) Install the cabinets in their desired position, allowing the wires to dangle out on the side

3) wire/install the new small light switch on the side of the cabinet instead

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
(edited)

get an electrician to pull out existing and do a box type. U might not be able to conceal back in the wall above the aircon remote area cause of the door frame sill. electrician can still drill a hole to run the cable from the back of the box. 

Edited by Dafansu

13 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

25 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

I would follow your last option and mount the switch on the cupboard. Cleanest and still easy to access the wall portion If really need to. 

I agree. Mount the switch on the wardrobe. Less headache and much nicer. 

The wiring are concealed, no way it will look nice if you mount the new switch on the wall. Of cos, they can drill hole to conceal the wire ...... Usually the wires still got freeplay one, it should be enough without the need to join wires. 

36 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

8 minutes ago, Othello said:

I agree. Mount the switch on the wardrobe. Less headache and much nicer. 

Just to clarify, my wardrobe in question is those standalone ikea type, not carpentry built-in one. So mounting the switch on the cupboard is not my top choice, though I have considered as well.

• Shocked 1

23 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Another way is to

1) dismantle the existing light switch panel, leave the wires dangling first

2) Install the cabinets in their desired position, allowing the wires to dangle out on the side

3) wire/install the new small light switch on the side of the cabinet instead

Yes, thanks for the description! Basically my question is whether there will be enough length of existing wire able to dangle out on the side, so that I can install the new switch either a few cm to the left or on the side of the cabinet.

Turbocharged
1 minute ago, boonhat_91 said:

Yes, thanks for the description! Basically my question is whether there will be enough length of existing wire able to dangle out on the side, so that I can install the new switch either a few cm to the left or on the side of the cabinet.

usually need to extend the wiring. likely u need to install box version as can't drill a hole in the wall. 

conceal-switch-point-e1526224735357.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1