Green fingers anyone?

Piyopico

(edited)
On 6/23/2023 at 11:39 AM, Stratovarius said:

Caladium are hard to grow for me. Mine last time keep kena spider mites till I frustrated and threw the plant away.

A bit tricky to grow them. Some need more sunlight than others (a few hrs of morning sun or dappled sunlight, not under our tropical blazing sun). Used to have abt 19 varieties but 2 just died off.  I cut off the leaves, retrieved the corms & repotted them, hope to revive them. 

I sprayed my plants, esp potted ones with a solution of either soap, garlic or chilli.  

Edited by TameDriver
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Supersonic

I have a stupid problem with the lime butterfly. It will come and lay eggs on my lime plants, and the caterpillars will start to chew up the leaves. Just the other day, I saw it coming towards my plant and chased it away.

A solution I learned, neem oil + peppermint oil + dish soap (to emulsify the oil). Then I sprayed on the leaves or at one time on mealybugs. The web-like thingy turn black and they are all dead. Peppermint oil is to override the lime-smell, I hope, to discourage the butterfly.

• Praise 6

On 6/23/2023 at 11:54 AM, TameDriver said:

A bit tricky to grow them. Some need more sunlight than others (a few hrs of morning sun or dappled sunlight, not under our tropical blazing sun). Used to have abt 19 varieties but 2 just died off.  I cut off the leaves, retrieved the corms & repotted them, hope to revive them. 

I sprayed my plants, esp potted ones with a solution of either soap, garlic or chilli.  

Mine okay with full sun. Just that the mites come back every week. The mites also frequent my alocasia and cherry blossom tree. I have to bring them to the shower every week. 

On 6/23/2023 at 12:11 PM, Kb27 said:

I have a stupid problem with the lime butterfly. It will come and lay eggs on my lime plants, and the caterpillars will start to chew up the leaves. Just the other day, I saw it coming towards my plant and chased it away.

A solution I learned, neem oil + peppermint oil + dish soap (to emulsify the oil). Then I sprayed on the leaves or at one time on mealybugs. The web-like thingy turn black and they are all dead. Peppermint oil is to override the lime-smell, I hope, to discourage the butterfly.

My lemon plant v small even though it's almost 2 years since it sprouted. They always makan it until botak and starve to death. Now I hid it under taller plants so the butterfly cannot reach it. 

My son found this alongside pavement and got so excited he got me to leave house and walked 10 minutes to the location.

It is a fungus called Giant Puffball.

A rare find ....... according to him. My first time seeing one.

IMG_20230622_164733.jpg

IMG_20230622_164724.jpg

IMG-20230622-WA0004.jpg

• Praise 3

On 6/23/2023 at 2:46 PM, Stratovarius said:

Mine okay with full sun. Just that the mites come back every week. The mites also frequent my alocasia and cherry blossom tree. I have to bring them to the shower every week. 

My lemon plant v small even though it's almost 2 years since it sprouted. They always makan it until botak and starve to death. Now I hid it under taller plants so the butterfly cannot reach it. 

But lime plant needs sunlight. How about cover with netting to prevent egg laying by butterfly?  

On 6/27/2023 at 11:03 AM, TameDriver said:

But lime plant needs sunlight. How about cover with netting to prevent egg laying by butterfly?  

The taller plants are there to prevent the butterfly from landing on the plant. My lemon plant still have the light. Was thinking of putting a clear cover or net over it but too much work for a plant that I anyhow germinate from a seed. Lol.

On 6/23/2023 at 3:20 PM, Abracadabra said:

My son found this alongside pavement and got so excited he got me to leave house and walked 10 minutes to the location.

It is a fungus called Giant Puffball.

A rare find ....... according to him. My first time seeing one.

IMG_20230622_164733.jpg

IMG_20230622_164724.jpg

IMG-20230622-WA0004.jpg

Google told me can eat! Did u bring it home and cook? 

• Haha! 1

On 6/27/2023 at 3:59 PM, Stratovarius said:

Google told me can eat! Did u bring it home and cook? 

No, in fact it died. Drove pass on Sat and noticed that it turned black. Son took a photo yesterday and yup, confirmed dead. So sad. 

On 6/27/2023 at 4:34 PM, Abracadabra said:

No, in fact it died. Drove pass on Sat and noticed that it turned black. Son took a photo yesterday and yup, confirmed dead. So sad. 

It died after puffing out its spores.  Monitor that patch & perhaps can find new ones soon.  

• Praise 1

Hypersonic

Another week, or rather 9 days later. 花开富贵!!! 花开富贵!!!

The rate these fellows grow is really no holds barred.  I think there are like 6~7 female flowers, and only 3 male flowers seen on this one so far, but seem like 2 are pollinated by ants already. Have to wait a few more days to cfm.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Screenshot_20230703_170311_Photos.thumb.jpg.40ec3d6b81ffd3f81411b31993a05a13.jpg

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 7/3/2023 at 5:28 PM, Tianmo said:

The rate these fellows grow is really no holds barred.  I think there are like 6~7 female flowers, and only 3 male flowers seen on this one so far, but seem like 2 are pollinated by ants already. Have to wait a few more days to cfm.  [laugh][laugh][laugh]

Screenshot_20230703_170311_Photos.thumb.jpg.40ec3d6b81ffd3f81411b31993a05a13.jpg

How to see which one is male and female flower ar? 🤔

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Hypersonic

Asking the experts here. My wife has a pot of money plant outside the house. Everytime I come back from my run, I had to squeeze a large amount of sweat from my shirt. Do you think sweat is a good fertilizer since it has alot of minerals salt. Don't want to kill her plant.

• Haha! 1

On 7/3/2023 at 8:32 PM, Ender said:

Asking the experts here. My wife has a pot of money plant outside the house. Everytime I come back from my run, I had to squeeze a large amount of sweat from my shirt. Do you think sweat is a good fertilizer since it has alot of minerals salt. Don't want to kill her plant.

Haha I would leave it alone bah, money plant can grow very well with water and sunlight! 😄

• Haha! 2

On 7/3/2023 at 5:28 PM, Tianmo said:

Looking good...恭喜恭喜,步步高升😄

• Haha! 1

Hypersonic
On 7/3/2023 at 7:08 PM, 13177 said:

How to see which one is male and female flower ar? 🤔

Male flowers usually grow on the main vine, while female flowers mostly grow on the runners (side vines/branches). 

The female flower also has a little ball attached to the flower, which turns into the fruit after pollination. Male flowers just look like a normal flower. [laugh][laugh][laugh]

This is a female flower.

Screenshot_20230704_091707_Photos.thumb.jpg.773fb98512832e4db1885a972e41e6a6.jpg

And this one is a male.

Screenshot_20230704_091555_Photos.thumb.jpg.afc58daf722bf7050a12388728fb2a6f.jpg

• Praise 2

On 7/3/2023 at 8:32 PM, Ender said:

Plants only need npk. I don't think sweat is made up of those. pee is a good fertilizer though. U can try. Lol.

• Haha! 3

Hypersonic
On 7/4/2023 at 9:30 AM, TangoCharlie said:

Haha I would leave it alone bah, money plant can grow very well with water and sunlight! 😄

On 7/4/2023 at 9:40 AM, Stratovarius said:

Plants only need npk. I don't think sweat is made up of those. pee is a good fertilizer though. U can try. Lol.

Lately whenI squeeze the sweat out form my shirt,  I notice they are chalky. Looks very rich in minerals. I think alot of K. LOL.

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 2