Green fingers anyone?

Piyopico

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

Any one into Orchid? I  have been struggling with Orchid for a short one or two years until I read a bit more into orchid. Orchids are afraid of hot sun, need water but over watering will result in root rot, roots area need to be airy , higher humidity but not too wet. I found it difficult to plant them at my front yard because the area is too hot in the afternoon. I have along the way murdered quite some orchids as I learn.  To find a place that is close to that of a tropical rain forest, I finally think of a idea to leave them beside the drain behind my house, it is moist mot of the time,  mild sun light but shaded by the wall of my house most of the time, quite windy all day long.  After months of trial and error, two of the plants not only survive, they begin to bloom. Anyone has orchid experience , please share you valuable experience here. Thanks.

orchid1.jpeg

orchid3.jpeg

No orchid experience but i see my neighbour orchid seems like growing until quite nice le, i no go near to see but spotted his orchid plant from far.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Anyone recognize this plants🤣, now even outside my factory they selling at only 80 Baht 🤭

I look it up, must know how to differentiate the male and female plants and know how to harvest it. Chim 

4f21237789b535c6867bdb4d3e34818.jpg

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

Any one into Orchid? I  have been struggling with Orchid for a short one or two years until I read a bit more into orchid. Orchids are afraid of hot sun, need water but over watering will result in root rot, roots area need to be airy , higher humidity but not too wet. I found it difficult to plant them at my front yard because the area is too hot in the afternoon. I have along the way murdered quite some orchids as I learn.  To find a place that is close to that of a tropical rain forest, I finally think of a idea to leave them beside the drain behind my house, it is moist mot of the time,  mild sun light but shaded by the wall of my house most of the time, quite windy all day long.  After months of trial and error, two of the plants not only survive, they begin to bloom. Anyone has orchid experience , please share you valuable experience here. Thanks.

orchid1.jpeg

orchid3.jpeg

I thinking of getting Orchids to grow too. But worry I may fail and they don't flower😩

5 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

orchid1.jpeg

orchid3.jpeg

These should be dendrobiums that are pretty hardy. Though they are more tolerant of sun in the orchid family, you can consider erecting a shade over them, protecting them mainly from the mid day sun.

I thought the leaves are over exposed (lighter shade of green)  and a couple sun burnt(?). Nevertheless, you have found a suitable spot for them to bloom. 👍

I grow novelty type phalaenopsis, the requirements are different. 

Screenshot_20220908-195016.png

• Praise 4

I pickup a dendrobium someone threw away. Yes, they threw away the whole pot, probably they got tired of it.

I nursed it back to health, the flowers were a pretty white/purple.

Many orchids cannot withstand full sunlight, esp the full afternoon sun. So they do well under shade.

They have "air" roots, so do not cover them with soil. Many people use charcoal. But I find charcoal invites insects, bcuz it's porous, with places to hide for the insects, so be careful.

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, TangoCharlie said:

These should be dendrobiums that are pretty hardy. Though they are more tolerant of sun in the orchid family, you can consider erecting a shade over them, protecting them mainly from the mid day sun.

I thought the leaves are over exposed (lighter shade of green)  and a couple sun burnt(?). Nevertheless, you have found a suitable spot for them to bloom. 👍

I grow novelty type phalaenopsis, the requirements are different. 

Screenshot_20220908-195016.png

Thanks for sharing. Yes they are dendrobiums. Agree, erecting a green mesh would be ideal but i am worried about the place being too unsightly. 

I bought a phalaenopsis a couple of weeks ago too, will have to learn to  grow it after complete withering of the flowers. Do you keep them in aircon room ? 

20220908_205151.thumb.jpg.ee797ca577984a5d712d690348c68dd9.jpg

1 hour ago, Kb27 said:

I pickup a dendrobium someone threw away. Yes, they threw away the whole pot, probably they got tired of it.

Many orchids cannot withstand full sunlight, esp the full afternoon sun. So they do well under shade.

They have "air" roots, so do not cover them with soil. Many people use charcoal. But I find charcoal invites insects, bcuz it's porous, with places to hide for the insects, so be careful.

Thanks for sharing.  i keep them in  charcoal pots too.  So how do you plant them if not charcoal ?

7 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

orchid1.jpeg

orchid3.jpeg

I have 1 dendrobium and 2 phalaenopsis. Full sun will burn the leaves. Bright indirect light works for me.

Dendrobium blooms consistently but my phalaenopsis stopped blooming. I heard that they need hot day and cold night to bloom. Both are healthy though. And one of my phalaenopsis created 2 keikis.

Most phalaenopsis comes in very compact sphagnum moss. So need to quickly change to charcoal and bark mix. I soak them in water every week and they are doing well. 

IMG_20220908_215758.thumb.jpg.6ca2e45ee13783d92c15d30395b9f747.jpg

IMG_20220908_215814.thumb.jpg.576151f7406f73dfd606d2e153cdb3b3.jpg

• Praise 6

Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Kb27 said:

I kanna same as you with charcoal. Big black ants like to make a nest there. Will scramble when I water them at night. Got 1 time my wife fed up and soaked the whole pot in water to drown them. Quite fun but it worked only for a few weeks and those b**tardly ants are back again. I don't use insecticide as my meow loves to lounge at the balcony.

I just have 2 small pots of local orchids. One pot has not bloomed for 2 years already. 😆 The other pot blooms consistently every few months. Each bloom can last 2 months. Actually, that pot is blooming now.

They tend to do better under bright indirect sunlight. But I do not fertilise them so they don't bloom as frequently. But I notice that they tend to bloom when the day is hot and the night temperature drops a lot.  

I am amateur. Don't put much effort to make them bloom. As long as no die on me is amtf already.

Edited by Kxbc
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 2

53 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Thanks for sharing.  i keep them in  charcoal pots too.  So how do you plant them if not charcoal ?

Some examples here: https://www.bobvila.com/articles/best-soil-for-orchids/

I think a mix of solid aggregate, something for the roots to cling to, but not too wet, they don't like wet feet.

Sphagnum moss - for water retention, some bark, perlite, leca (used in hydroponics), small stones, pebbles, volcanic rock. ..a lot can be found in nursery. Go have a look and checkout.

• Praise 3

57 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

I have 1 dendrobium and 2 phalaenopsis. Full sun will burn the leaves. Bright indirect light works for me.

Dendrobium blooms consistently but my phalaenopsis stopped blooming. I heard that they need hot day and cold night to bloom. Both are healthy though. And one of my phalaenopsis created 2 keikis.

Most phalaenopsis comes in very compact sphagnum moss. So need to quickly change to charcoal and bark mix. I soak them in water every week and they are doing well. 

IMG_20220908_215758.thumb.jpg.6ca2e45ee13783d92c15d30395b9f747.jpg

IMG_20220908_215814.thumb.jpg.576151f7406f73dfd606d2e153cdb3b3.jpg

Nice!  all looks healthy and happy.The phalaenopsis on the right seems more healthy than the one on the left, any reason?  I read from somewhere, for them to bloom, the plant has to be healthy first, next is to create a crisis environment, hot and cold temperature range of >10 degree, plus controlled amount of watering to let the plant feel like it will not live longer to force it to bloom.  Of course, theory is always easier said than done. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

6 hours ago, Arogab said:

Anyone recognize this plants🤣, now even outside my factory they selling at only 80 Baht 🤭

I look it up, must know how to differentiate the male and female plants and know how to harvest it. Chim 

4f21237789b535c6867bdb4d3e34818.jpg

cant see clearly but are you refering to Sapodilla(Chiku)? 

image.png.9fb99dd960295a23b9c671ce2796fba0.png

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Nice!  all looks healthy and happy.The phalaenopsis on the right seems more healthy than the one on the left, any reason?  I read from somewhere, for them to bloom, the plant has to be healthy first, next is to create a crisis environment, hot and cold temperature range of >10 degree, plus controlled amount of watering to let the plant feel like it will not live longer to force it to bloom.  Of course, theory is always easier said than done. 

They are different cultivar coz the blooms are different. The one on the right is my 2nd orchid and left my 3rd. The left one was smaller than the right one when I first bought but now is bigger. The leaves are facing forward coz they are turning towards the sunlight. Lol. I maybe have to put them under grow lights.

I heard before what u have mentioned for blooming but I can't confirm as mine did not rebloom and I only had them for a year. Same thing as my keikis, people say the plant must feel stressed to produce babies. 

But if u want blooms, I think Dendrobium blooms more steadily. 

There is a yt channel missorchidgirl which I sub. Lol. Cb with many years of experience with orchid.

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Stratovarius said:

By the way a particular leaf on the left has a purple tint, my phalaenopsis has the same symptom, do you know why and how to cultivate greener leafs like the one on the right ? 

Screenshot_20220909-081240_Chrome.jpg

9 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Thanks for sharing. Yes they are dendrobiums. Agree, erecting a green mesh would be ideal but i am worried about the place being too unsightly. 

I bought a phalaenopsis a couple of weeks ago too, will have to learn to  grow it after complete withering of the flowers. Do you keep them in aircon room ? 

20220908_205151.thumb.jpg.ee797ca577984a5d712d690348c68dd9.jpg

This type of phalaenopsis usu requires a large temperature drop to rebloom in our climate (around Jan). Imo, not necessary to grow in aircon room, though the flowers would last longer. When the flowers are gone, I will remove the spagnum moss from the bottom half and replace with pine bark chips for better air circulation at the root system. These chips can be found in giant hypermart or nursery. For beginners, over watering is the biggest killer. 

I grow them either outdoor with shade or along corridor where it's bright and with good airflow. No direct mid day sun. Early morning or late afternoon sun I find still ok. Water when the moss feel crispy. 

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, TangoCharlie said:

This type of phalaenopsis usu requires a large temperature drop to rebloom in our climate (around Jan). Imo, not necessary to grow in aircon room, though the flowers would last longer. When the flowers are gone, I will remove the spagnum moss from the bottom half and replace with pine bark chips for better air circulation at the root system. These chips can be found in giant hypermart or nursery. For beginners, over watering is the biggest killer. 

I grow them either outdoor with shade or along corridor where it's bright and with good airflow. No direct mid day sun. Early morning or late afternoon sun I find still ok. Water when the moss feel crispy. 

Solid! Looks like i need to find a better fengshui place for my phalaenopsis once the existing flowers are completely fallen off. 

9 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Just remember healthy roots, healthy plant. If you see lots of active root tips... Usu green then it's fine.

Whether bloom or not, besides what you have listed, also depend on the cultivars... If they are cool climate ones, you will only enjoy their foilage. 😄

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Kxbc said:

I kanna same as you with charcoal. Big black ants like to make a nest there. Will scramble when I water them at night. Got 1 time my wife fed up and soaked the whole pot in water to drown them. Quite fun but it worked only for a few weeks and those b**tardly ants are back again. I don't use insecticide as my meow loves to lounge at the balcony.

I just have 2 small pots of local orchids. One pot has not bloomed for 2 years already. 😆 The other pot blooms consistently every few months. Each bloom can last 2 months. Actually, that pot is blooming now.

They tend to do better under bright indirect sunlight. But I do not fertilise them so they don't bloom as frequently. But I notice that they tend to bloom when the day is hot and the night temperature drops a lot.  

I am amateur. Don't put much effort to make them bloom. As long as no die on me is amtf already.

mine lust time got resident lizard hide insai. got a big scare when it jumped out when i water. knn. now i put it far away from me when i water in case it plans to stay there long term. 

58 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

By the way a particular leaf on the left has a purple tint, my phalaenopsis has the same symptom, do you know why and how to cultivate greener leafs like the one on the right ? 

Screenshot_20220909-081240_Chrome.jpg

might be light. i will take a closer look tonight when im home. But generally, phalaenopsis will only have 3 sets of leaves at one time. Once there is new leave, the bottom one will start to dry out and turn yellow. i treat both of them the same way with the same potting mix so its genetics if one grows abit better than the other. i would say i underwater mine but i do feed them the andgro orchid fertilizer once awhile. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1