A Liter too Little?

Carbon82

Will things take a change now, when manufacturers rush to introduce TC 1.0 engine that has more horsepower than a typical 1.6L engine (N.A.), and Torque figure matching or even better than that of a 2.0L ride (N.A.)? Will 1.0L engine (TC) return to Singapore and be widely accepted again? Here are some interesting newer 1.0L TC engine to be checked out.

Ford 1.0 EcoBoost

- 140ps / 210Nm

VW 1.0 TSI Twin-Charge

- 272ps / 270Nm   ----- This one found in which model? 1L twincharged can give 272PS is quite a miracle. The previous 1.4L twincharged only 160BHP.

VW / Skoda 1.0 TSI Turbo

- 115ps / 200Nm

Audi 1.0 TFSI Turbo

- 95ps / 160Nm

Honda 1.0 VTEC Turbo

- 129ps / 200Nm

Opel / GM 1.0 Ecotec

- 115ps / 170Nm

Suzuki 1.0 Boosterjet Turbo

- 110ps / 170Nm

Hyundai / Kia 1.0 Kappa T-DGI Turbo

- 120ps / 172Nm

surprised that nowadays there are still those who believe in bigger cc means better...

They like to think smaller engine with forced induction be it turbocharging or supercharging is bad for reliability & that it is still unproven technology.

I think for local roads with constant stop start, small engine + small turbo is best combination. Sufficient early torque for acceleration or overtaking, good fuel economy, low road tax.

Of course, if one lives in Germany & wants to plough Autobahn at 200km/h constantly, bigger engine is the way to go.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

My next car definitely gotta aim one with turbo...If can afford twin turbo even better! Now COE only got restriction on bhp, better hoot high torque car which will feel faster than those bigger bhp engines in SG style traffic. 130bhp is very good for SG already.

Garment appetite also getting bigger every year.

Two decades wontan Mee only $1.50... Sigh, Neverending one.. Over the times, appetite gets bigger as ppl yearn for better living standards.

• Praise 1

Supersonic

Now that COE premium is almost the same in the 2 cat, many are calling for it to be merged, and you want to go back to 3 cat?

Actually a little challenging when defining the category, since most of the cars are now 1.0 - 2.0L band, so if we revert back to Cat 1 (sub 1.0L), it is drawing up boundary for the various makes and might create unfair competition (in the sense that Honda & conti will fight for quota in Cat 1, while Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, etc. will be competing in Cat 2, and the other bulk of the car will be force to Cat 3 - >1600cc).

Oh ya hor. Forgot the diff comes from arf now. Pls merge.

Turbocharged

When I drove up Sheares bridge with more than 2 adults, I would switch off the aircon! Just me and my wife, it was ok. Anything more was a struggle.

My aunt not familiar with engine dynamics heh (ie AC to engine power relation), but she did one better. After clearing the ramp she stopped us at the nearest lift lobby and kicked us out lol

VW Announces New 6.0L W-12 TSI, Bi-Turbo TDI Diesel, and 1.0L Three-Cylinder Engines 

An incredible glimpse into the future comes in the form of a 1.0-liter three-cylinder engine [above] that is fitted with a large single turbo and an electric supercharger for a stunning 272 horsepower and 199 lb-ft of torque.

VW-3-cylinder-TSI-engine-new.jpg

VW-1.0.jpg

The new 1.0-litre three-cylinder engine is based on the EA211 unit that was previously seen in the Volkswagen Up! in Australia, but this version has “the genes of the Polo WRC‘s rally engine”.

No mention about which mdoel in the VAG group will receive this new engine, but looking at the artcle again, it is not hard to guess it will first be for WRC model, or some top of the range model (e.g. Audi S1?)

• Praise 5

in summary your next car is going to be a turbo diesel. :D

My next car definitely gotta aim one with turbo...If can afford twin turbo even better! Now COE only got restriction on bhp, better hoot high torque car which will feel faster than those bigger bhp engines in SG style traffic. 130bhp is very good for SG already.

She never ask you 2 to get out to push already can tao chio liao..... :XD:

My aunt not familiar with engine dynamics heh (ie AC to engine power relation), but she did one better. After clearing the ramp she stopped us at the nearest lift lobby and kicked us out lol

I once squeeze 5 adult into my Vivio (don't asked me how I do it, as I also cannot figure out now), and even on a flat road within a typical HDB estate, I have several lorries / vans high beam me, or overtake my car with little difficulty. :lll._.:

But the best part is with the super good FC. 18 - 20Km/L is a norm for me (NOT 100% highway hor), and occasionally can even enjoy free parking (some carpark has big gap between the barriers). :secret-laugh:  

• Praise 6

Let me answer for you.

Diesel tax = direct income to LTA

CEVS rebate = direct deduction from your car's PARF

There you go.

When they first launched this CEVS crap, I already knew it's a scam because it is deducted from your car's PARF, i.e you are the one paying for the CEVS rebate or penalty.

So, best to get a car with ZERO CEVS, so there is no impact to your car's PARF.

satelite ERP still aboiut 10yrs away from implementation i think

with the new euro5, diesels are so much cleaner than petrol. in fact most of the new diesels models out there qualify for the CEVS rebates.

so i'm wondering why the heck, the govt still insisting on the special diesel tax?

if it's about the older diesel vehicles that's spewing smoke, shouldn't they have different categories of diesel cars that meets emission requirements?

give car owners some motivation to upgrade to greener cars.

even the CEVS is a joke given that it deducts from the parf value after 10 yrs.

haiz

Turbocharged

Turbo diesel sounds great, but not many choices for lower budgets...

VW Announces New 6.0L W-12 TSI, Bi-Turbo TDI Diesel, and 1.0L Three-Cylinder Engines 

An incredible glimpse into the future comes in the form of a 1.0-liter three-cylinder engine [above] that is fitted with a large single turbo and an electric supercharger for a stunning 272 horsepower and 199 lb-ft of torque.

VW-1.0.jpg

The new 1.0-litre three-cylinder engine is based on the EA211 unit that was previously seen in the Volkswagen Up! in Australia, but this version has “the genes of the Polo WRC‘s rally engine”.

No mention about which mdoel in the VAG group will receive this new engine, but looking at the artcle again, it is not hard to guess it will first be for WRC model, or some top of the range model (e.g. Audi S1?)

For now, call me scaredy cat but I will avoid twincharged engine setups.. until they are proven to be okay. I think force induction is okay but too much maybe no good. That's why the twincharged engine setups in VW Scirocco, Jetta & Golf sports suffered from common premature piston crack.

But 272PS is a lot  [sweatdrop]

• Praise 1

Supersonic

VW-1.0.jpg

The new 1.0-litre three-cylinder engine is based on the EA211 unit that was previously seen in the Volkswagen Up! in Australia, but this version has âthe genes of the Polo WRCâs rally engineâ.

Read that for a start, bnb model will b 1.0 3cyl. 2 specs. 128 n 148hp.

TD. Also 3 cyl. These days 4 cyl like premium liao

Read that for a start, bnb model will b 1.0 3cyl. 2 specs. 128 n 148hp.

TD. Also 3 cyl. These days 4 cyl like premium liao

Supersonic

Of course le, BMW Audi Mercedes Benz mid range models all using 4 cylinders okay. Albeit with turbocharging.

Yep.

3 is bnb ron 92

4 is premium ron 95

6 is super premium ron 98

8 n up ...ron 100.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Haha good point, if we did push the car my friend would probably have a heart attack lol. After that the car will roll over me
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

@Little_prince

Diesel, turbo diesel still need special tax.

Why? Why? Why?

Cos i still see new generation taxis and conti vans spewing black smoke on a frequent basis.

Don't confuse the EU taxation method for even new diesels not being polluting. It's just a lack of political will and a blinkered approach.

Even their own scientists have said the air quality has worsened in urban cities with the increased use of modern diesel engines in the last 10 years.

Light and flimsy cars. Let's see how they do on current crash testing safety scores.

electrical driver seat, power windows, anything electrical are all major factors in weight increase.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1