2017 Tesla Model 3, 2024 Facelift

Carbon82

Charging how long? I think BMW i3 is a failure in sg, heard say it's hardly sell now!

Btw, I don't think our gov will support this lei, I believe the road tax will be very ex

↡ Advertisement

Still early lah. Production only starts end 2017, so earliest on sale date is 2018.

Tesla also never say how they gonna sell in Singapore, whether they appointing dealer or not.

Hopefully in the next couple of years they can solve the issues of EVs here in Singapore, and get the authorities to cooperate. But I fear it will be a long road.

Turbocharged

But it's not clear what happens when more and more tenants of your block buys EV cars in the future, do you need to share?

this will be the limiting ffactor here. in US, tesla paid for charging stations themselves, but SG being such a small mkt, i doubt that will happen... great if it does!

i think couple of place have it like City Square and Republic Plaza

HDB should install chargers in Carparks

Malls should install superchargers

If anywhere is a good place for all electron power should be Singapore

U hav 1 for me to try it out for a day?

Bmw got. i3.

I test drove both i8 and i3 at a single visit. I didn't mention the i8 because it's hybrid, not relevant.

U hav 1 for me to try it out for a day?

to add to turboflat comment, i3 itself is still not the most fun you can get from an electric car.

I've driven the tesla roadster 5 years ago for a few days straight. to davidtch, go try out electric sports cars that are really made to be electric, not just some low powered scooter or city electric car. You'll be surprised how it compares to a normal sports car.

not i say one, but i heard before people say when comparing driving feel, 1hp in electric car = 3hp in petrol car because of the instant torque. 

Has the asking price been discussed yet?

Starting at $35000 X 1.34 = S$46900.

That's about the starting price of a piece of paper here. We are indeed very Green.

Hypersonic
(edited)

You must ask LTA need to pay $15k for carbon surcharge or not. Because you use electricity to charge the car.

Edited by Tohto

One point about driving up north. I remember Elon mention about able to charge using any voltage around the world. Stop at any house, borrow a socket for SGD5 (or even 20 bucks is a great deal) you can start charging your car :) Provided you don't get rob along the way lolz.

Gov should now really need to consider installing EV panel everywhere and beef up renewable energy usage. I see that my blocks starts to install them (woodlands).

(edited)

One point about driving up north. I remember Elon mention about able to charge using any voltage around the world. Stop at any house, borrow a socket for SGD5 (or even 20 bucks is a great deal) you can start charging your car :) Provided you don't get rob along the way lolz.

Gov should now really need to consider installing EV panel everywhere and beef up renewable energy usage. I see that my blocks starts to install them (woodlands).

based on The Future Of Us exhibition ...

spore aim to be car-less society ... transportation is only given to the "must have" group

the nation should and will rely on public transport which is connected right to your block with travellator ... [sly]

Edited by Wt_know

How about another scenario? especially for HDB dwellers.

Get your own generator but it'll be a joke to charge a Tesla with a Honda power generator, no?

[:p]

I have been pondering about the convenience of charging issue with EV cars today and here are my thoughts.

Given that SG is one of the official countries Tesla are selling their Model 3 to, it should be fair to say Tesla may likely plan to provide SG buyers with the support and infrastructure to repair/charge the car. Even a small island like Hawaii has 1 service centre and 2-3 charging points around the island.

Scenario 1 (best possible outcome)

Assuming Tesla decides to install a couple of Supercharging stations in SG, that would have been the best possible scenario for SG buyers. A supercharger can charge a Model 3 within 25min to 90% full capacity. And the full capacity allows the owner to drive the car up to 350km. This is more than enough for most SG folks who commute between office and home on a daily basis (i probably only drive around 20-40km per day max). A single charge will probably last you for a week or so. In fact, if you visit the supercharging station every few days, you most likely won't even need to charge for 30 min. At most 5-10 min would fully charge your vehicle (since the battery is not fully depleted).

Using the supercharger, it will eliminate the need to have a charger at your residence, even if you stay in HDB. In other words, it no longer is necessary to charge overnight. This means you don't have to go through all the red tape contacting your town council and plead for a charge station to be installed in your premises.

Scenario 2

If Tesla decides not to install superchargers here (or encounters bureaucratic red tape... LOL), then another option would be to charge your EV at some of the available EV charging stations around the island. I have seen in several shopping malls that have electric charging stations for EV, like Raffles City parking, Jurong Point, etc etc. These stations would cost money to use them, and may not be as quick as superchargers, but at least you can save the hassle of writing in to your town council for the charging point installation, which at this point is still debatable whether they will cater to your request or not (or if they do, they might make you pay for the installation, etc).

Bosch eMobility Services also offer EV charging around the island. You have to sign up as a member and pay a monthly cutthroat fee of S$180 for unlimited charging at all available stations. 

https://portal.bosch-emobility.sg/en/com/home/homepage.html

Bosch Overview:

https://portal.bosch-emobility.sg/en/com/theservices/overview/overview.html

Yes, S$180 is definitely expensive to charge your EV (I don't think it is that expensive to fully charge your car. At most it should only be a few dollars per overnight charge, so $180/mth is ridiculous). But look at it this way, how much are you spending on petrol now, per mth? My Honda Civic drinks petrol on a weekly basis and it costs me on an average $300/mth to pump petrol (SPC 92). So based on this comparison, $180 is still a good deal, although Bosch is still a CB company for charging such high prices...

Scenario 3

Write in to your town council or MP and ask them for permission to install a EV charge outlet in your residence. My gut tells me you will most likely meet with failure or they may force you to pay for the install, or surcharge, etc that may cost several $Ks. But if approved, then great la. You can charge at home overnight every day. But it's not clear what happens when more and more tenants of your block buys EV cars in the future, do you need to share?

well, you know our garment la... but this is something we can't control. They happy happy can change rules anytime one.

Put in USD1000 liao. Waiting for durian to drop.

So long we have at least 1 charger in the central here. I am set! Charge once forth nightly is good enough. Awaiting final govt obstacles.

Turbocharged
(edited)

Somehow, I don't have a feeling that SGP would encourage electric cars in a big way unless the current oil companies in SGP has big ambitions driving that electrical path for SGP.

Think of all the kpkb that comes from agonizing these oil giants when nobody uses petrol anymore.They are afterall some of the biggest employers in SGP and for such a small country like us, that can be a tricky situation.

Edited by Icedbs
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5