2016 Feb, 1st COE Bidding Exercise

yo2020

I sold my 6.2yrs trade in at 64k when I bought it at 79k in 2009.

If don't trade in now. When ah?? Wait Coe plummet then no value Liao.

Lol. True bro. But if dealer dared to eat at 64k from you...it is either its overtrade or the dealers dun expect coe to come back to 2005-2010 levels. There are many who still hold to that dream of coe plummeting to less than 20k including me.
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

I always find it funny that ADs never push to take out more COE from the future when supply less and COE prices high to even out peaks and troughs. But all the white papers come out now when COE falling. Thsi problem already started 3 yrs back but no one make noise?

Is it because in a rising COE mkt, the value of inventory going up while in a falling COE mkt, the value of inventory dropping?

i think the ADs actually prefer smoother demand /supply of COEs.

http://www.stcars.sg/guides-articles/car-dealers-appeal-for-smooth-coe-supply-and-clarity-on-power-test-145793

• Praise 1

Of course Ads will prefer that now in a falling COE environment and inventory value is dropping. I might have missed it but I didn't see them asking to smooth out COE supply during a period of rising COE prices.

Correction. Not only ADs bur car dealers in general. Especially used car dealer.

• Praise 2

Of course Ads will prefer that now in a falling COE environment and inventory value is dropping. I might have missed it but I didn't see them asking to smooth out COE supply during a period of rising COE prices.

Correction. Not only ADs bur car dealers in general. Especially used car dealer.

To be fair, they did make a 'fresh' appeal in Jan 2015 when the COEs were still around 75k for Cat B.

Edited by sake

no le. SE also test drove my Camry.

Probably entering, since the price is affordable to me. Similar to the level when I bought my current ride in 2010.

Yes. Based on quoted trade-in, it's still above the full rebate. But can see the dealers are really very careful when taking in conti rides. Some even want to test drive. Something I've never encountered on my past Jap cars. 

Looking cat B cars, Nissan X-trail or Mazda 6

• Praise 2

To be fair, they did make a 'fresh' appeal in Jan 2015 when the COEs were still around 75k for Cat B.

But this was already when COEs on the down trend and supply was already projected to start increasing.

However, nothing wrong with car dealers acting in their own interest. They are businessmen and human after all.

But this proposal should not be seen as dealers acting for the good of the community. They are acting in their own interest and any good to the community is incidental.

• Praise 2

But this was already when COEs on the down trend and supply was already projected to start increasing.

However, nothing wrong with car dealers acting in their own interest. They are businessmen and human after all.

But this proposal should not be seen as dealers acting for the good of the community. They are acting in their own interest and any good to the community is incidental.

not suggesting that the ADs/dealers are selfless or altruistic. merely saying that it is also their preference for smoother demand/supply.

The current situation is getting the lowest COE value at the expense of highest COE value. If this has been normalized, no more contemplating on whether need to wait further or will I lost out if not wait further kind of syndrome. Guess which party will be getting the highest hit if this is implemented?

• Praise 1

The current situation is getting the lowest COE value at the expense of highest COE value. If this has been normalized, no more contemplating on whether need to wait further or will I lost out if not wait further kind of syndrome. Guess which party will be getting the highest hit if this is implemented?

not sure i follow. The Govt the loser?

Edited by sake

this is an interesting thought. ...i had hoped (and still hoping) the resident analyst would do some study on whether ADs are still profiteering in these period  2012-2016. Many forumers have asked that but i think these days must pay advisory fees.

There are some difficulties doing the study on COE as a profit or buffer as data (sale price plus discounts need to be known and available) . 

Short of  clean data, its a little speculative.

My guess is high coe leads to a situation of high resale prices, high amt to finance, its a better situation for the ADs as the big amounts means less players in general and less new entrants.

If evened out, the COE will likely be at a higher level as a steadily growing population is competing for a fixed pool each year

I think to know if car dealers are profiteering in Singapore, will will need to compare car dealer net margins in Singapore vs other cities after taking into account wages and rental vs volume of cars sold.

not suggesting that the ADs/dealers are selfless or altruistic. merely saying that it is also their preference for smoother demand/supply.

Haha. I do not object to their preference. Just that I find the timing of expressing such preferences questionable.

If prices too high for you, take bus mrt lor.

no la coe price too cheap now, I'm waiting for it to go up so tell e next bidding raise by how many k le

• Praise 2

no la coe price too cheap now, I'm waiting for it to go up so tell e next bidding raise by how many k le

Your salary also not there yet. Unless like Me you buy a new 520
  • Praise 3

if my current car COE expired in december 2016 , when will be a good time to get a car ? june period or august period ?

If you can affort BMW, the good time will be appropximately one year from now.

• Praise 1