10th Generation Honda Civic (2016)

Carbon82

would you believe me if i tell you i have bought 2 brand new cars, one suzuki swift from AD in 2006 and a Honda Fit from PI in 2008 but i never tried driving the both before i signed on the dotted line. ok, i know they were both below $100k.    :grin:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Thanks for recommending the 2 cars. This is what I feel abt the 2 cars.

BMW 116d

Nice badge, nice front and back design. Uses diesel which means fuel sipper and excellent torque

However rear passenger space isn't really existent. Higher road tax due to it being a Diesel engine. A saloon owner may not consider a hatchback.

A3

Great looks at the front and rear. 1.4T engine means lower tax. Good "entry level" conti car to start with.

However rear passenger leg room seems worse off than the civic turbo. Not sure abt this but entry model has no push start and no power seats. Margin for AD is also very high. If priced significant lower than the 1.5T civic, I'm sure kah will lose its business. In this aspect PI's A3 seems very competitively priced.

The newer A3s should come with push start and power seats. Price sld be lower than civic 1.5T ard 126k.

• Praise 1

Personally I find that the customer service is important when I'm spending this big amount of money to buy a car. I've been to many showrooms and I'll just leave if I experience lousy service, no matter how good the car is. My thought is: if they can't provide a good service at the onset, how can I expect the aftersales service to be good?

Just to share a personal experience: went to a certain showroom which I shall not name here (but not KM!), approached by a pleasant SE who was relatively knowledgeable and was able to answer most of my queries accurately (since I had done some homework before visiting). When I asked if I could book for a test drive some day soon, SE just said "why not let's go for a test drive now?" And so I test drove the car and told the SE I would like to take time to consider. Without being pushy, SE asked for my current car details and so she could let me know the trade-in price after checking. Didn't expect much since I wasn't firm on buying, but I received an SMS update on the same evening. The trade-in price was better than I expected, so I decided to pay another visit to showroom with my family members. The good service experience eventually led me to like the car (of cos, the car has its sellable points too) and I decided to commit. The good service (thankfully) didn't end there. SE threw in a number of decent freebies without me asking for them and constantly kept me updated via SMS. Minutes after successful COE bidding I already received a congratulatory SMS, and this continued thru car registration and eventual collection.

Is service important? Maybe not to some but it is personally important to me. After all, I am spending a large amount of money to buy a car and I would definitely prefer having the spending experience a happy one.

Actually I receieved this kind of service in the process of buying both cars in recent times, and my friend who did buy a Honda, also got the same treatment.

I actually choose my car because they were the only ones who allowed me to test the slope outside my home. No one else did, from the big premium brands to the bread and butter ones.

Anyhow, I got the basic treatment from Kah and Toyota when I bought my car from these companies, but I wasn't too fussed. They knew they had a product which sold itself.

Likewise when I bought a car in Sydney, I saw the rep twice, and after I paid, I never heard from him again.

• Praise 1

how's the handling? is the body roll evident? I drove a K3 while overseas earlier this year, it struggled to hold itself to complete a bend at speed limit, super turn off, not to mention feels dangerous..

The handling was not as good as expected and steering get light on high speed. Body roll can be felt at doing the round about at paya lebar airbase. I need to drop to 40-50 for the second time. Maybe I am not used to cvt.

Somehow I can understand why ppl dun like cvt.

Normal mode cvt upshift at 4500. 's mode upshift at 5500. Shifting is smooth.

Acceleration is smooth. No feel of the pull, and reaches 100 fast with noticing. Car remain stable. SE decided to on the sound system, which probably realised the noise getting noticeable.

• Praise 2

Neutral Newbie

The handling was not as good as expected and steering get light on high speed. Body roll can be felt at doing the round about at paya lebar airbase. I need to drop to 40-50 for the second time. Maybe I am not used to cvt.

Somehow I can understand why ppl dun like cvt.

Normal mode cvt upshift at 4500. 's mode upshift at 5500. Shifting is smooth.

Acceleration is smooth. No feel of the pull, and reaches 100 fast with noticing. Car remain stable. SE decided to on the sound system, which probably realised the noise getting noticeable.

Ah. Thanks for the input. Many videos on this car but hardly anyone mentions the handling. I suspected that it's one of its weaker points. The main selling point seems to be it's 1.5T. Leather felt a bit reminiscent of the old.

Overall as a family car I still think it's a good all rounder. A bit pricey thou

• Praise 2

2 years ago, when I was looking at the Sylphy 1.6t at Tan Chong, there was only 1 unit displayed inside the showroom. To my surprise they offered to bring it out to the road for me to test drive. Not once but 3 times. They let me try the 3 diff variants to compare. I always wore casual bermudas and they don't bulls**t me saying it is too powerful.

I dont like Kah motor sales staff. When i test drove the accord the saleswoman was not serious with me and blabbered about her mother in law while i was testdriving. But their aftersales is good. I had a jazz and i went back to them for every 10k servicing for 7 years even though i did many things elsewhere.

Edited by Columbian78
  • Praise 2

The newer A3s should come with push start and power seats. Price sld be lower than civic 1.5T ard 126k.

Thanks. That sounds really tempting. But my car still new.

would you believe me if i tell you i have bought 2 brand new cars, one suzuki swift from AD in 2006 and a Honda Fit from PI in 2008 but i never tried driving the both before i signed on the dotted line. ok, i know they were both below $100k.    :grin:

I believe. Coz I also bought cars without test drive. I usually get my wife to test drive while I sit behind relac  [laugh]

• Praise 3

Thanks for recommending the 2 cars. This is what I feel abt the 2 cars.

BMW 116d

Nice badge, nice front and back design. Uses diesel which means fuel sipper and excellent torque

However rear passenger space isn't really existent. Higher road tax due to it being a Diesel engine. A saloon owner may not consider a hatchback.

A3

Great looks at the front and rear. 1.4T engine means lower tax. Good "entry level" conti car to start with.

However rear passenger leg room seems worse off than the civic turbo. Not sure abt this but entry model has no push start and no power seats. Margin for AD is also very high. If priced significant lower than the 1.5T civic, I'm sure kah will lose its business. In this aspect PI's A3 seems very competitively priced.

Conti cars price range may be same but sure have compromise on things like rear legroom. Else everyone will be driving a conti...
  • Praise 1

Bought my Fit 1.5RS in 2008 without test drive too... Just sat in the back to get a feel of the space and went on to talk about price. After that just signed. Less than 30 mins in total...

• Praise 2

Conti cars price range may be same but sure have compromise on things like rear legroom. Else everyone will be driving a conti... ð

If pay another 10k and monthly additional 150 will u go for the 216d or stay with the cibic
  • Praise 2

would you believe me if i tell you i have bought 2 brand new cars, one suzuki swift from AD in 2006 and a Honda Fit from PI in 2008 but i never tried driving the both before i signed on the dotted line. ok, i know they were both below $100k. :grin:

Errr it's normal?

I bought my odyssey without test drive also.

For my budget. I didn't have much choices.

I don't see a point in test driving unless it's a supercar

• Praise 2

Conti cars price range may be same but sure have compromise on things like rear legroom. Else everyone will be driving a conti...

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

IMO, beside the price tag of a conti car, the costs of maintenance, cabin space, resales market, reliability and FC are what driving away conservative car buyers.

I have long given up on conti cars.....used to drive an Audi followed by a BMW. Once the warranty for these cars are up, my advice is to start shopping for a new one again. I have since switched back to my reliable Jap car and do not think I will go back to conti cars anymore. [nod]

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2