Sabah quake tragedy

Enye

Turbocharged

As I've noticed 99% of those supporting young children climbing Mt KK via the Ferrata route are the ones who have not tried climbing the mountain themselves. And then they will compare climbing Mt KK via Ferrata with climbing trees, rollerblading at East Coast Park and jumped to conclusion if you do not ask kids to scale mountains is equivalent to not allowing children to roller-blade or climb trees. It just shows how ignorant these people are. That is the problem with parents - they don't conduct enough of due diligence or take an interest in their children's activities.

And its shocking how the mass media is in damage control. It is reported in foreign media that those who died are those who took the more dangerous Ferrata route. Those that took the usual Mt KK route like the secondary school older students and all the rest are all safe and sound. There have always been casualties at Mt KK - be it injury or death - even without earthquakes - just not widely reported here. And for the 7 climbs that the school has "successfully" organised, how many have been aborted? Obviously last year was aborted right because a parent said so on FB? I just hope facts are presented objectively and not half-truths. And if secondary schools make their risk assessment to take the normal route, why does the primary kids have to pay extra for the "thrill" via walk the torq?

I don't think MOE should be blamed. It's the society of one-upmanship. I am sure if the small children successfully climbed Mt KK via a more dangerous route, they can always laugh at the secondary school students who obviously chose the usual route. And risk assessment is not just probability. Its both probability AND impact. So even if you think that scaling Mt KK is a walk in a park for a kid, the impact of anything happening will be fairly serious (i.e. death which has happened before even without earthquake) esp those who took the dangerous route.

And in the few times I have done KK, never have I a seen a child. Most are adults making their own decision to challenge their fear. If anything happens, they are responsible for their actions. And looking at the list of climbers released from Malaysia, it appears the 12 year olds are Singaporeans? Do you see whole bunch of Malaysian 12 year olds? NO. This kind of things can wait. FEAR OF LOSING OUT (FOMO) is a serious problem here in Singapore. Parents and kids scared if their friends go and they don't, then they lose out on character building and lost leadership skills etc.

I have climbed KK and took the normal route.

The mounting of the summit is time sensitive and already it is crowded when too late to see sunrise and must U turn in case the fog comes.

the normal route is already hard enough for some adults, and some people get altitude sickness.

having an earthquake at this magnitude and on the Ferrata route is must be really scary for the kids, let alone highly experienced climbers.

the whole rock summit has not flat area, it is all sloppy and smooth. there is no area to take refuge and sometimes you cannot even feel you are standing of flat ground because your eyes will trick you when you cannot see the horizon.

if you prone on the ground, you can still roll over. It is that scary. and when the ground shakes, how do you even stop yourself from rolling? even the huge boulders at the top start to roll down the slope.

the problem is no body thinks of the danger because it hardly happens.. and people have not died because of this type of incident.

people have died falling off the mountain I hear.

Now I know that earth quake does happen on KK, I think I won't want to climb KK again. last time stupid never considered this.

now older more KS. If I have kids I will really not want them to climb KK until at least older and if take the dangerous route, must be at least 18 or I have confidence in their outdoor skills.. cannot forbid them but must be their own decision. and NOT the school's decision.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

Agreed ....... :a-good:

Not a joke bring children below 12 oversea.

I had gone through that myself, piew .. [sweatdrop]

i brought 15 yr olds...sec 3......nb.....all act maciam adult....run here..run there...hide here...hide there....just to be able to hang out with their kakis! The teachers are the ones that had to ask around and scour the rooms for them! That wan is nite duty....day time have CIP to do......😢😢😢😢
  • Praise 1

one of the SG teacher has a baby 2 month old! And i can assure you bringing students overseas is no holiday! Must take care of them, assure their safety, food makan and drinks! Last i brought students was to Batam.....slept at 12AM (some teachers at 2AM) after checking the students are settled.....wake up at 6 before the students starts waking up......very tiring 3 days!

Teachers are like parents to the students when they are on an outing.

I'm sure we all appreciate that! [thumbsup]

• Praise 9

KOTA KINABALU, June 10 ― Sabah police confirmed today that the last two Singaporean climbers who went missing after last Friday’s earthquake have been accounted for.

Sabah police commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman said that body parts found on Mount Kinabalu were identified to be those of 13-year-old student Navdeep Singh Jaryal and 35-year-old teacher Mohammad Ghazi Mohamed from Tanjong Katong Primary School.

“Based on DNA information retrieved, we have been able to ascertain they are the missing people identified,” he said to reporters

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1