Sabah quake tragedy

Enye

Rip to the little girl who passed on.

My heart sank when i got the news. :(

I am in the land with no FB and this morning's Sunday times headlines broke my mood.

Rip and hope the parents will find solace.

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

Absolutely heartbreaking... [bigcry]

Nine Singaporeans are feared dead as the number of bodies recovered from Mount Kinabalu continues to rise. http://str.sg/UEg

• Praise 3

This is a natural disaster. Is there a need to play the blame game? Is it necessary to make accusations to the parents, some of whom have lost their children in this tragedy? You and I may have different ways and methods of doing things which we do not always agree with, but that doesn't give us the right to make absolutely insensitive remarks especially when lives are lost.

That is the problem with the parents. They put achievement and glory above everything else, i.e. the safety of their children. The post is about how the son try to become a "prefect" and it must such an "honour" to be chosen no parents will dare to say no. And this case, the son felt unwell and still went up probably due to peer pressure and pride - luckily nothing happened. And at the end of the day, these parents went around thinking their children will be leaders and way superior to others who were deprived going on such exotic trips. My son climb Mt KK at 11 years old. Yours didn't. Nuff said.

Not climbing Mt KK at 11 or 12 years old will NOT make anyone a lesser person or a lesser leader. That is why some parents must learn to say no to their kids. I am sure there are some parents who dared to say no for this trip. An 11 year old has many years ahead of him to do risky things if that is his "passion" - when he is old enough to make his own decision and climb his own mountain. And Mt. KK is not a walk in a park - other than earthquakes, slippery slopes, fatigue, AMS, hypothemia can take casualties too. And these affect children more than adults. Let kids be kids and there is nothing wrong with running around in a park or playing hide and seek at home.

And guess what? I suspect many of these parents haven't even scaled Mt KK themselves and yet put their 11 year old there without their presence.

• Praise 15

Hypersonic

This post came in fr fb. An excellent balanced post for the naysayers.

Again, I reiterate, while the emotions are high. Kindly see perspective.

It is with a very heavy heart as I write this.

My younger son graduated from Tanjong Katong Primary School last year. And yes, he was among the privileged group of leaders selected for the Omega Challenge Mt K Expedition last year. It is a trip for selected leaders from the various CCAs in school for the graduating batch and the school has been running the programme for years.

It is a simple trip, go to KK, stay a night. Climb Mt K, stay at Pendant Hut. Go Via Ferrata for some fun but challenging activities, go back Pendant Hut to rest. Next morning do summit climb, descend the mountain, stay a night. Home sweet home. No sight seeing, no shopping, no luxurious hotels, no great food. Yet my son had set his heart for the trip for years and actually consciously worked for it by getting into the school prefectorial board.

Prior to the trip, the school scheduled for training sessions which included serious stairs climbing. Students were also encouraged to do their own training daily which many enthusiastically did.

What did the students learned from such a trip? They learned to be prepared by building up their physical. They learned to look out for each other and cheered each other on when the going gets tough. They learned that they could have an enjoyable afternoon without mobile phones, iPads and other electronic gadgets by just chilling and playing board games with friends. They learned to make their own decisions, my boy did not feel too well when he reached Pendant Hut and he decided to forgo the next morning's Via Ferrata's activity so that he could be fully rested and ready for the summit climb the following day. He made the decision on his own, we only knew about it when he came back and recounted to us. They learned to accept setbacks, the whole team did not make it to the summit as the weather was unfavourable and the teacher made a decision to halt the climb. Some cried at the moment. So did they come back depressed and disappointed? No, they came back in high spirits for they had been through a valuable experience.

Does the school have the full support of parents for this programme? I can't speak for others, but they have mine.

Would the school have the courage to continue with programmes that is beneficial for students after this incident? I do hope so.

Why am I writing this now? I just feel that at times like this when many families are still anxiously waiting for news of their loved ones, if we cannot say or do anything positive, let's at least not make things worse.

Thanks for the great insightful sharing :)

Absolutely heartbreaking... [bigcry]

Nine Singaporeans are feared dead as the number of bodies recovered from Mount Kinabalu continues to rise. http://str.sg/UEg

I read this morning news with a sunken heart... tears almost flowing out....

Don't know how to describe this feelings...

I share the grief experienced by the affected families....

I said a prayer .... GOD bless them ....

• Praise 3

On one hand, I hope they are not the TKPS students n teachers, on the other hand if they are not; they are someone else's loved ones, so don't know what to hope for and as such I will just say RIP and may there be strength for the bereaved, God Bless!!

• Praise 21

Turbocharged

Best if dun hv kids... then dun need to worry

Have kids mean you have to worry for them... enjoy the happy times as well as bear the heartaches... its a package deal

Anyway RIP to those who passed away

condolences to their loved ones

Best is don't be s6 human being with all these kiasu kiasi on hindsight internet heroes. Oh wtf shouldn't have orguinised these trips! They're prambee skool kids only! I also shouldn't let my prambee skool kid alone in the house cos got window scarly they jump down. Or or cannot let them ealk6 on pavement must walk on grass patch cos later car knock then down. Actually grass patch also cannot cos later car accident metal part fly off and impale them.

CCB kiasu kiasi people. Please don't be a human being. Some people live life more in a day then these people can ever do in a lifetime 😂😂😂

CCB samsung keyboard always spelling error 😂😂😂

• Praise 9

On one hand, I hope they are not the TKPS students n teachers, on the other hand if they are not; they are someone else's loved ones, so don't know what to hope for and as such I will just say RIP and may there be strength for the bereaved, God Bless!!

Morning Spring, well said, owe u 5

Turbocharged

Best is don't be s6 human being with all these kiasu kiasi on hindsight internet heroes. Oh wtf shouldn't have orguinised these trips! They're prambee skool kids only! I also shouldn't let my prambee skool kid alone in the house cos got window scarly they jump down. Or or cannot let them ealk6 on pavement must walk on grass patch cos later car knock then down. Actually grass patch also cannot cos later car accident metal part fly off and impale them.

CCB kiasu kiasi people. Please don't be a human being. Some people live life more in a day then these people can ever do in a lifetime 😂😂😂

CCB samsung keyboard always spelling error 😂😂😂

You spend too much time with ah Huat and got his virus??

Turbocharged

(edited)

That is the problem with the parents. They put achievement and glory above everything else, i.e. the safety of their children. The post is about how the son try to become a "prefect" and it must such an "honour" to be chosen no parents will dare to say no. And this case, the son felt unwell and still went up probably due to peer pressure and pride - luckily nothing happened. And at the end of the day, these parents went around thinking their children will be leaders and way superior to others who were deprived going on such exotic trips. My son climb Mt KK at 11 years old. Yours didn't. Nuff said.

Not climbing Mt KK at 11 or 12 years old will NOT make anyone a lesser person or a lesser leader. That is why some parents must learn to say no to their kids. I am sure there are some parents who dared to say no for this trip. An 11 year old has many years ahead of him to do risky things if that is his "passion" - when he is old enough to make his own decision and climb his own mountain. And Mt. KK is not a walk in a park - other than earthquakes, slippery slopes, fatigue, AMS, hypothemia can take casualties too. And these affect children more than adults. Let kids be kids and there is nothing wrong with running around in a park or playing hide and seek at home.

And guess what? I suspect many of these parents haven't even scaled Mt KK themselves and yet put their 11 year old there without their presence.

Why don't you go down to the funeral and tell Peony's parents all these things in their face instead of being a keyboard hero here on hindsight.

When airasia and MH planes crashed, why don't you criticize the parents for allowing the kids to take an aeroplane?

Some parents are more conservative and some parents allow their kids to be challenged more. There is no one right way in parenting.

But above all - all parents want the best for their kids.

So do not criticize the parents for the decisions as it was made with the kids best interest at heart.

Edited by Aventador
  • Praise 20

Hypersonic

Wtf with these keyboard heroes?

Which part of natural disaster do they not understand?

If school activities need to build in risk assessment for natural disasters then children should just stay home instead.

On 1 hand they complain bitterly about young people being strawberries

and on the other, they question why other parents allow their kids to take such trips

FYI the best time to shape children's values and build character is during pri school when they are still willing to listen and not so rebellious.

Do they really think that after being raised as strawberries in pri school, their children would automatically do adventurous activities in sec school and beyond?

• Praise 16

Turbocharged

You spend too much time with ah Huat and got his virus??

You better teach your kids how to catch dragonfly ok 😂😂😂

There are 2 more pics, even more kek sim. Shed a tearwhen i saw them. Its on a thread at edmw.

(edited)

Morning guys....I think this morning news is bad especially for those bros who have kids and have been actively contributing the updates to this thread

For those who disagree to such trips, please refrain from making any further comments on what's right Or what's wrong

Tragedy has befallen on our fellow Singaporeans and these are really young kids parents spent 12 years raising and nurturing

My hearts goes out to the family of the deceased and as many bros had said, let's support them with words of condolences and sympathy through their period of grief

Things already happened and cannot be undone

If you need to comment, please wait n do so later, thank you for being kind to the families of late

Edited by Pinobii
  • Praise 8

Hypersonic

Share your comments, Bro... well said...

Someone has lost their sons, daughters... their love ones... RIP ...

Live life to the fullest and knowing one have enjoy his life, and he will not have any regret....

• Praise 5

very sad news indeed, hope the missing are found soon and RIP to the deceased

↡ Advertisement