Sabah quake tragedy

Enye

I was once a nursing lecturer who brought my students overseas for missions.

Before the trip was planned, all possibilities were considered and all contingencies planned for.

Ppl say I was paranoid but I did not care for that was my job.

I hope for everyone's sake, someone in the planning team was paranoid eenough to have planned for this by

1). Having adequate insurance that does not exclude mountain climbing and natural disasters

2). A contingency plan to evacuate survivors back to Singapore ASAP instead of relying on scheduled commercial charters

3) students trapped up there know what to do. Before my students went on a class trip (own self go) to Thailand, I added a portion to my emergency lecture to add on what to do in an emergency in Thailand (as opposed to Singapore )

My two cents.

Hope missing ones are safe.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

(edited)

Having climbed Mt KK before, I will never let my own primary school kid climb the mountain on his own with his friends / school and sign an indemnity form that cheapens my child's life. Even as adults, we need to train a few months before climbing and some still struggle due to altitude sickness etc. Schools nowadays is more about showing off who has more money to go for more exotic and "challenging" trips. Character can be formed in many ways, not just going overseas and being able to post on FB.

I am not saying one cannot go for risky trips like climb mountains, climb Mt Everest and scuba diving etc. Just wait until you are ready, say secondary school before arranging for such trips. Things happen while scuba diving or mountain climbing, and usually kids are too young and don't have the life experience to react when things out of the ordinary happen.

And I'm not saying this on hindsight. In fact, I was very surprised that primary schools actually bring large group of young kids to scale Mt KK - not an easy mountain from my experience.

Edited by Icemaiden
  • Praise 7

Twincharged

I have the impression that these trips have been ongoing for years and have benefited many, which explains why three primary schools are there.

If there was no earthquake, I believe it would have turned out well and the school must have as you said, trained the students for months.

You can choose to believe if your child can or cannot. Whichever you believe in, it will be correct.

Having climbed Mt KK before, I will never let my own primary school kid climb the mountain on his own with his friends / school and sign an indemnity form that cheapens my child's life. Even as adults, we need to train a few months before climbing and some still struggle due to altitude sickness etc. Schools nowadays is more about showing off who has more money to go for more exotic and "challenging" trips. Character can be formed in many ways, not just going overseas and being able to post on FB.

I am not saying one cannot go for risky trips like climb mountains, climb Mt Everest and scuba diving etc. Just wait until you are ready, say secondary school before arranging for such trips. Things happen while scuba diving or mountain climbing, and usually kids are too young and don't have the life experience to react when things out of the ordinary happen.

And I'm not saying this on hindsight. In fact, I was very surprised that primary schools actually bring large group of young kids to scale Mt KK - not an easy mountain from my experience.

• Praise 1

It's really sad to learn of this bad news😔 wish the family affected is coping well n those tat is still searching keep up their faith👍

• Praise 4

(edited)

this is really worrisome

news reported that sabah is subjected to more earthquake in the future

msia building is not designed nor built to sustain earthquake

msia authority and people is not trained how to handle earthquake unlike japan and taiwan

very worry earthquake might happen in spore in the future too (hopefully not near future)

Edited by Wt_know

Twincharged

What i know is that in our day as students, there was no need to go on these kinds of trips for "character building".

And yet we all turned out well.

Enough said. No wonders our teachers are too busy to really teach these days. Too many accessory activities

• Praise 1

Twincharged

We would like to think that we turned out well, but I also think we do not really know what we have missed out on until we experience it. Then there were those in our cohorts who have turned out better, but we were not aware of their experiences.

In any case, the disaster is greater than any of our thoughts and beliefs, and the grieve for the family and friends deeper than what we can imagine. My last post on this. Here's once again hoping for the very best for those still missing. We need some good news.

What i know is that in our day as students, there was no need to go on these kinds of trips for "character building".

And yet we all turned out well.

Enough said. No wonders our teachers are too busy to really teach these days. Too many accessory activities

• Praise 3

Oh my god, I'm so shocked to hear this news ....

My children's school also organize trips to Kota Kinabalu every year. I never imagine such risk even existed, getting too complacent living all my life in natural disaster-free Singapore ...

My deepest condolences to the families of the demised. And well wishes to the other children who went through this traumatic event, especially those who may have witnessed the death of their follow school mates. recover from this shocking and traumatic event....

Let's pray for them....

• Praise 2

Well said. Owe you 5.

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2015/06/06/sabah-quake-final-death-tally-19/

Just saw on fb. Not sure about its credibility though. Hope it's not the case

If true, this news is going to shock Singapore --> 10 Singaporean bodies recovered.

As of 4pm Saturday, Ranau police chief Deputy Supt Mohd Farhan Lee said they have recovered 13 bodies.

"The search is still on for six more," he told reporters.

Among those killed were 10 students of Tanjong Katong Primary School in Singapore.

The nationalities and identities of those killed will be released after post mortem.

If true, this news is going to shock Singapore --> 10 Singaporean bodies recovered.

I'm afraid the bodies recovered are now just pending ID by NOKs. Which is why moe has withheld releasing any news. Anyway let's hope for the best. No doubt it's an earthquake tat happened in Malaysia but it has hit us hard. Tough times

I'm afraid the bodies recovered are now just pending ID by NOKs. Which is why moe has withheld releasing any news. Anyway let's hope for the best. No doubt it's an earthquake tat happened in Malaysia but it has hit us hard. Tough times

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Troublingly, the malaysian media quoted the Singaporean death figure from the Ranau police chief Deputy Supt Mohd Farhan Lee only a few hours ago.

• Praise 1

(edited)

http://www.thestar.com.my/News/Nation/2015/06/06/sabah-quake-final-death-tally-19/

As of 4pm Saturday, Ranau police chief Deputy Supt Mohd Farhan Lee said they have recovered 13 bodies.

"The search is still on for six more," he told reporters.

Among those killed were 10 students of Tanjong Katong Primary School in Singapore.

dunno legit or not [smallcry]

Edited by Othello
↡ Advertisement