OLED TV - UHD vs FHD

NightWind

Hi saw many show rooms dropping prices on the old LG 55" Oled ; 55EA970T. This is the FHD 1080p version. Has anyone seen UHD Oleds in our stores yet? They don't seem to be in local stores yet although they are available in some countries? See; http://www.lg.com/us/oled-tvs

And when they do hit our stores here I expect the price for the smaller 55" UHD Oleds to probably exceed $4,500?

Although the current local crop of LG Oleds is only 1080p I think the picture quality and contrast more than makes up for any relative deficiencies if these were compared to a UHD LCD. And can the naked eye also see any real difference between a UHD Oled and a FHD Oled on a smaller 55" screen.

If I was getting a 65" Oled, perhaps having it in UHD would be a must. But for a smaller 55" screen perhaps its a small deficiency that we can live with given the lower relative price?

Hope the bros here can comment?

Thanks

Edited by NightWind
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Hi saw many show rooms dropping prices on the old LG 55" Oled ; 55EA970T. This is the FHD 1080p version. Has anyone seen UHD Oleds in our stores yet? They don't seem to be in local stores yet although they are available in some countries? See; http://www.lg.com/us/oled-tvs

And when they do hit our stores here I expect the price for the smaller 55" UHD Oleds to probably exceed $4,500?

Although the current local crop of LG Oleds is only 1080p I think the picture quality and contrast more than makes up for any relative deficiencies if these were compared to a UHD LCD. And can the naked eye also see any real difference between a UHD Oled and a FHD Oled on a smaller 55" screen.

If I was getting a 65" Oled, perhaps having it in UHD would be a must. But for a smaller 55" screen perhaps its a small deficiency that we can live with given the lower relative price?

Hope the bros here can comment?

Thanks

Some people can live with 21 inches CRT.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

IMO no point getting UHD now as there is not much UHD content. Wait till UHD becomes more common then the price will drop and there will be more UHD content available.

• Praise 2

(edited)

Tks, actually there is some UHD content. But these are not "main stream" yet. You can find 4k content even on youtube.

The TV will last me another 8-9 years. My current TV is 8 years old and still functional and its FHD 1080p.

But u do have a point. And my other issue is, at relatively smaller screen size of 55" (compared to 65") can the naked eye tell the diff between UHD and FHD content on a Oled TV. TBH even at 1080p the Oled pix look much nicer than a UHD LCD TV.

The other issue I have about getting a UHD now is what you pointed out, the paucity of 4k content. Many broadcasts are still in SD (not even FHD) and the TV takes much more effort to upscale this to a UHD screen as compared to a FHD screen (which has half the pixels). So for a UHD, we really need very good quad core (min) processors to upscale. Otherwise the SD images will look worse on a UHD screen than on a FHD if the processor is not up to the specs.

IMO no point getting UHD now as there is not much UHD content. Wait till UHD becomes more common then the price will drop and there will be more UHD content available.

Edited by NightWind

Very true.

Even today, after so many years, not everything on tv is hd.

Saw those humongous tv showing UHD, my only tot is that whoever bought those, when they go home and see how SD or even HD looks like on such a huge screen, they are gonna feel silly spending so much.

In the shops, one trick is to show HD and UHD half half on the same huge screen to show how terrible HD looks compared to UHD.

Well. .. Going home, majority of people will be watching the "crappy" HD or SD cos no UHD content.

• Praise 1

FHD is good enough, no point going 4K since not much content on mainstream level yet. LG, Sharp, Samsung .etc are already going for 8K FUHD TVs but then again, these are too costly.

• Praise 3

Twincharged

Tks, actually there is some UHD content. But these are not "main stream" yet. You can find 4k content even on youtube.

The TV will last me another 8-9 years. My current TV is 8 years old and still functional and its FHD 1080p.

But u do have a point. And my other issue is, at relatively smaller screen size of 55" (compared to 65") can the naked eye tell the diff between UHD and FHD content on a Oled TV. TBH even at 1080p the Oled pix look much nicer than a UHD LCD TV.

The other issue I have about getting a UHD now is what you pointed out, the paucity of 4k content. Many broadcasts are still in SD (not even FHD) and the TV takes much more effort to upscale this to a UHD screen as compared to a FHD screen (which has half the pixels). So for a UHD, we really need very good quad core (min) processors to upscale. Otherwise the SD images will look worse on a UHD screen than on a FHD if the processor is not up to the specs.

Ya. UHD content is available but mostly still FHD only. At the rate technology is progressing now, I prefer to get a lower priced TV that is still good and change like once every 5 years.

ok tks every one. This makes sense especially in the context of Oled TVs as the Oled technology makes current mainstream SD viewing look very nice

FHD is good enough, no point going 4K since not much content on mainstream level yet. LG, Sharp, Samsung .etc are already going for 8K FUHD TVs but then again, these are too costly.

I think we r of like minds bro :)

In that case would you buy the old LG 55EA970T Oled which is 55" 1080p 1st Gen?

I know LG is shipping a new batch of Oled models (both UHD and FHD) soon. That's why I have reservations. But the price has dropped a lot from $15k to below $4k now

Ya. UHD content is available but mostly still FHD only. At the rate technology is progressing now, I prefer to get a lower priced TV that is still good and change like once every 5 years.

Did anyone consider the Xiaomi 49 or 55 inch UHD TVs? They suppossedly come with free wireless sound bar and sub woofer.

• Praise 1

Is there a review on these Xiaomi TVs u can share with us? For smaller screen sizes below 55" I am less inclined to get a UHD.

As most content today is still SD, do these TVs come with good processors for upscaling to UHD? Min is Quad Core.

Did anyone consider the Xiaomi 49 or 55 inch UHD TVs? They suppossedly come with free wireless sound bar and sub woofer.

Is there a review on these Xiaomi TVs u can share with us? For smaller screen sizes below 55" I am less inclined to get a UHD.

As most content today is still SD, do these TVs come with good processors for upscaling to UHD? Min is Quad Core.

See below:

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/tv/news/xiaomi-launches-55-inch-4k-mi-tv-2-mi-smart-scale-mi-smart-power-strip-676475?site=classic

http://4k.com/news/xiaomi-releases-new-4k-tv-model-in-china-6240/

http://www.4kultrahdreview.com/at-800-xiaomis-55-inch-4k-mi-tv-2-is-the-best-freaking-smart-tv-you-cant-purchase-yet/

Tks bro, i looked at the reviews and they look encouraging. No bad reviews so far. BUT this is still a new product for a relatively new PRC startup. And producing TVs is not quite the same as producing mobile phones.

Xiaomi also has very little background history on this for benchmarking, as it is a new area for them.

The product also sems to be available in PRC and maybe in US and Europe. I dont see xiaomi TVs making debut here yet? Have you?

Having said all that, if Xiaomi can come up with a sub SGD3k Oled UHD 55" TV, i am willing to give it a try :)

since this is a car forum, we tok with cars

in sg, max only 90km/h, some ppl say why need to buy Ferrari or lambo? everyday B&B car can already, but some still buy AMG, or GTR, of cos Ferrari and Lambo... and going at 90, well maybe a 100kmh...

maybe one day our speed limit amy go up to a grand 100 or even 110km/h... woohoo!

pocket got money, nothing better to spend on... put there stationary also shiok... well, u happy can already la

• Praise 4

Actually in Korea, like about 5yrs ago all their TV channel I watch from hotel are already on FHD.

Our Mediacorps are just too slow and far behind.

Even in China big City like Shanghai, they are also showing with a lot of FHD channel.

• Praise 2

since this is a car forum, we tok with cars

in sg, max only 90km/h, some ppl say why need to buy Ferrari or lambo? everyday B&B car can already, but some still buy AMG, or GTR, of cos Ferrari and Lambo... and going at 90, well maybe a 100kmh...

maybe one day our speed limit amy go up to a grand 100 or even 110km/h... woohoo!

pocket got money, nothing better to spend on... put there stationary also shiok... well, u happy can already la

This will never happen, for many reasons.

• Praise 1

While Korea and China are gaining more advertising money and getting more creative with online marketing, online TV shows, expanding Asian market, .. I believe our own TV station has been seeing declining revenue. There's only one TV station, so they don't seem to be worried, just continue to enjoy the monopoly despite lower revenue, but nothing to drive more competition and innovation or new technology (which costs $$$).

That's why I hardly watch Mediacorps channel now a day. Except CNA.

Mainly watching cable..... at least a lot of channel on cable are FHD.

↡ Advertisement