Nissan Qashqai vs Honda Vezel, which is better?

Leoeve

Between a Proton saga and a qashqai for long trips to malaysia, I would go rather go with a proton.

For this case, I will go for the qashqai. I don't want to risk the life of my family sitting inside the proton traveling on the NSH.

The malaysian knows well how tough the body & chassis of their proton.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

For this case, I will go for the qashqai. I don't want to risk the life of my family sitting inside the proton traveling on the NSH.

The malaysian knows well how tough the body & chassis of their proton.

At least the Malaysians know that a proton would get them from point A to B without reliability issues, I don't know about Qashqai, which has a reputation for electronic failures. There is a good reason why people are not interested to use qashqai for grab and uber coz the car simply has too much hassle.

At least the Malaysians know that a proton would get them from point A to B without reliability issues, I don't know about Qashqai, which has a reputation for electronic failures. There is a good reason why people are not interested to use qashqai for grab and uber coz the car simply has too much hassle.

If have to choose between qashqai and Vezel. I will choose qashqai. I rather risk breaking down in a qashqai then catch fire in a vezel.
  • Praise 2

Between a Proton saga and a qashqai for long trips to malaysia, I would go rather go with a proton.

Obviously someone has not driven or owned a proton before to make such statement. Protons are famous for mechanical failures, they are just badly designed and built cars, both mechanically and electronically.

Good luck on your long trip to MY in a proton.

Not really.. 

Most of my malaysian friends told me to try avoid buying their Proton if can afford a Japanese car.

Protons sold because they were cheap, the government made the other cars more expensive with taxes.

Now those who can afford it will get the Vios, City etc. The less marginal ones will get the Accords / Camrys. The rich ones will get their conti Mercs / BMWs.

Protons keep running because they are basic, and parts are easy to find. That's also why people want to steal them - for parts.

A Proton takes parts from many places in M'sia. So much so that the right door handle can have a different color from the left one!

No Malaysian buys one unless he has no choice. 

Not really.. 

Most of my malaysian friends told me to try avoid buying their Proton if can afford a Japanese car.

We are comparing the reliability of a proton and a qashqai. A Malaysian would trust a proton more than a qashqai when it comes to long distance travels on the road, as it is a tried and tested by the locals. Why would a Malaysian want to drive a problem car for daily commute which has a high chance of breaking down?   

Sorry, forget to mention I want to consider CRV but it doesn't justify to its selling price. Too ostly for a car assembled by Thais.

Even if it is MIJ it is still too expensive for the same price I can get harrier turbo or probably go for sorento for a good size 7 seater suv.

Protons sold because they were cheap, the government made the other cars more expensive with taxes.

Now those who can afford it will get the Vios, City etc. The less marginal ones will get the Accords / Camrys. The rich ones will get their conti Mercs / BMWs.

Protons keep running because they are basic, and parts are easy to find. That's also why people want to steal them - for parts.

A Proton takes parts from many places in M'sia. So much so that the right door handle can have a different color from the left one!

No Malaysian buys one unless he has no choice.

I prefer perodua

We are comparing the reliability of a proton and a qashqai. A Malaysian would trust a proton more than a qashqai when it comes to long distance travels on the road, as it is a tried and tested by the locals. Why would a Malaysian want to drive a problem car for daily commute which has a high chance of breaking down?   

Wow, please do not put your words into 'a Malaysian'. I would think a lot of Malaysians will be very angry (or amused) to hear your comment above. Trust Proton more than Nissan? Oh please.

The majority of Malaysians have voted with their wallet on the crappiness of Proton products. Proton used to control more than 70% (peak) of the Malaysian market with the protectionist/discriminatory measures by the government, before MY fully adopted the ASEAN FTA that leveled the field somewhat for cars manufactured in ASEAN countries (by Toyota, Honda, etc). Even before that, Proton's sales was trashed by Perodua, another young national car company backed by Daihatsu/Toyota at that time. Today, the market share is around 20%, and declining. Malaysians who can afford a little more would fork out more money to buy any brand else, except proton.

There might be some minorities who are loyal to proton and buy the products even today, but majority of the buyers will probably buy another brand if they have a choice (in term of budget or financing).

My malaysian frens told me that the malaysian bought proton not because is reliable but instead is cheap, and also cheap to maintain in their country.  

Many bought Proton due to budget constraint, some bought it as spare car for their family members for short distance driving from point A to B.

One of my malaysian fren somemore can joke about their Proton.

He answer to my question, saying that: "Want to know the reliability of our Proton? Just look around how many old Protons still running around on S'pore road you will know the reliability of the Proton..Haha"

My fren really KNS!!

Edited by Toomuchtorque

After having 2 Mazda cars previously and thought of getting another car, but seem like the quality n reliability of Nissan cars is not better than Mazda. Honda is expensive n not Made in Japan. Now left with Mazda n Toyota.

If you are looking for made in Japan, then Nissan QQ does not meet this criteria as made in UK (with Renault French engine).

For real MIJ SUVs in the Vezel/QQ price range or closest to it, your choices are

- Honda Vezel 

- Honda HR-V

- Mazda CX-3

- Mitsubishi ASX

- Subaru XV or perhaps, Forester NA

If you don't want PI, then only last 4 above.

Edited by jg2000

Wow, please do not put your words into 'a Malaysian'. I would think a lot of Malaysians will be very angry (or amused) to hear your comment above. Trust Proton more than Nissan? Oh please.

The majority of Malaysians have voted with their wallet on the crappiness of Proton products. Proton used to control more than 70% (peak) of the Malaysian market with the protectionist/discriminatory measures by the government, before MY fully adopted the ASEAN FTA that leveled the field somewhat for cars manufactured in ASEAN countries (by Toyota, Honda, etc). Even before that, Proton's sales was trashed by Perodua, another young national car company backed by Daihatsu/Toyota at that time. Today, the market share is around 20%, and declining. Malaysians who can afford a little more would fork out more money to buy any brand else, except proton.

There might be some minorities who are loyal to proton and buy the products even today, but majority of the buyers will probably buy another brand if they have a choice (in term of budget or financing).

What you would think doesn't count, let us look at the statistics of car sales in Malaysia as at May 2017. The following data clearly shows Proton is above Nissan by two spots and Honda is above Nissan by 3 spots.

https://paultan.org/2017/06/21/malaysia-vehicle-sales-data-for-may-2017-by-brand/

My malaysian frens told me that the malaysian bought proton not because is reliable but instead is cheap, and also cheap to maintain in their country.

Many bought Proton due to budget constraint, some bought it as spare car for their family members for short distance driving from point A to B.

One of my malaysian fren somemore can joke about their Proton.

He answer to my question, saying that: "Want to know the reliability of our Proton? Just look around how many old Protons still running around on S'pore road you will know the reliability of the Proton..Haha"

My fren really KNS!!

What your friend said doesn't count, let us look at the statistics of car sales in Malaysia as at May 2017. The following data clearly shows Proton is above Nissan by two spots and Honda is above Nissan by 3 spots.

https://paultan.org/...-2017-by-brand/

Edited by LPPL

I've only talked to one malaysian about proton. And his comment, it's a crap car.

Changed his wiper motor 3 times and it still doesn't work well in heavy rain.

Guess I know what ALL Malaysians think about proton then. Cos i spoke to the one malaysian.

I've only talked to one malaysian about proton. And his comment, it's a crap car.

Changed his wiper motor 3 times and it still doesn't work well in heavy rain.

Guess I know what ALL Malaysians think about proton then. Cos i spoke to the one malaysian.

Obviously you don't know much about Malaysians coz you spoke to only one. let us look at the statistics of car sales in Malaysia as at May 2017. The following data clearly shows Proton is above Nissan by two spots. Honda and Toyota are above Nissan so certainly Nissan is not a preferred Japanese brand.

https://paultan.org/2017/06/21/malaysia-vehicle-sales-data-for-may-2017-by-brand/

Edited by LPPL

Obviously you don't know much about Malaysians coz you spoke to only one. let us look at the statistics of car sales in Malaysia as at May 2017. The following data clearly shows Proton is above Nissan by two spots. Honda and Toyota are above Nissan so certainly Nissan is not a preferred Japanese brand.

going by your logic. Perodua sells 17k cars vs proton 7k.

I guess there must be many malaysian car brands out there.

So that we can't say that Proton is obviously not the preferred Malaysian car brand?

What you would think doesn't count, let us look at the statistics of car sales in Malaysia as at May 2017. The following data clearly shows Proton is above Nissan by two spots.

What your friend said doesn't count, let us look at the statistics of car sales in Malaysia as at May 2017. The following data clearly shows Proton is above Nissan by two spots.

Now I know how did all the sweeping statements came from, some funny inferences and assumptions on data thrown around. LOL.

Indeed, proton has only 13% of market share based on 2017 YTD sales in the link, even worse than 20% that I mentioned. I am sorry for overstating Proton's market share (LOL).

Again, Proton selling more than Nissan (also Toyota) does not immediately mean people trust Proton more than Nissan (or Toyota). Or Proton has better reliability than Nissan (or Toyota). It has to be because Proton's products are cheaper (because if they sell for more money, nobody will buy) and people with limited budgets have no choice but to buy Proton.

I can even replace 'Nissan' with Toyota (4th place), Mercedes-Benz (6th place) in your argument. Your argument is implying Malaysian trust Proton more than Toyota, Mercedes-Benz, BMW or even Volvo? That's mind-boggling to me. I am sure a lot of Malaysians are very angry right now. LOL.

To break your analogy of sales volume = better everything, let's compare # of passengers carried by US airline United and Singapore Airlines or Cathay Pacific. United carried many times more passengers compared to SQ/CX, but it does not mean people like or trust AA or United more. I don't think I need to explain or justify SQ or CX. Your argument about sales volume is just weak.

If you compare Proton's sales with the other local manufacturers e.g. Perodua (top spot) and second-spot Honda (with local manufacturing in Melaka for Malaysian market), then the obvious 'lousiness' of Proton is evident, that's how Malaysians have voted with their wallet.

• Praise 2

Now I know how did all the sweeping statements came from, some funny inferences and assumptions on data thrown around. LOL.

Indeed, proton has only 13% of market share based on 2017 YTD sales in the link, even worse than 20% that I mentioned. I am sorry for overstating Proton's market share (LOL).

Again, Proton selling more than Nissan (also Toyota) does not immediately mean people trust Proton more than Nissan (or Toyota). Or Proton has better reliability than Nissan (or Toyota). It has to be because Proton's products are cheaper (because if they sell for more money, nobody will buy) and people with limited budgets have no choice but to buy Proton.

I can even replace 'Nissan' with Toyota (4th place), Mercedes-Benz (6th place) in your argument. Your argument is implying Malaysian trust Proton more than Toyota, Mercedes-Benz, BMW or even Volvo? That's mind-boggling to me. I am sure a lot of Malaysians are very angry right now. LOL.

To break your analogy of sales volume = better everything, let's compare # of passengers carried by US airline United and Singapore Airlines or Cathay Pacific. United carried many times more passengers compared to SQ/CX, but it does not mean people like or trust AA or United more. I don't think I need to explain or justify SQ or CX. Your argument about sales volume is just weak.

If you compare Proton's sales with the other local manufacturers e.g. Perodua (top spot) and second-spot Honda (with local manufacturing in Melaka for Malaysian market), then the obvious 'lousiness' of Proton is evident, that's how Malaysians have voted with their wallet.

I didn't say better sales equate to better everything so don't put words into my mouth. It is not just proton and perodua that are above Nissan, Honda and Toyota are also in top. If proton is indeed a crap brand as some of you might say, why is proton more than double in sales compared to Nissan? If you say Malaysians are poor and can't afford japanese makes, then why is Honda which is more expensive selling above proton? For mass market cars, trust in the brand is often correlated with sales numbers. Edited by LPPL
↡ Advertisement