With and without ABS @ 120kmh

Kklee

In real life situations I dun think conditions will be like these tests. What I dun like about Japanese cars here is that they dun come with ESP or stability control. Some dun even have traction control that comes as standard.

ABS is to stop your wheels from slipping or lose traction on dry/wet surface...when you are stopping.

Traction control stops your wheels from slipping when your car is accelerating.

Stability control or ESP stops your car from sliding sideways by cutting power whenever neccessary.

We saw here how the Altis w/o ABS on the wet tried to stop. It slided sideways.

Imagine this Altis even with ABS tries to avoid obstacles by swerving left & right before coming to a full stop. W/o ESP it will most likely slide sideways.

Start from 6:04 to watch the ESP test. Like what Tiff mentioned, ABS and traction control works well on the straight line...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkzbavyv7Vo

In reality we need all three, ABS, Traction Control & ESP to avoid potential accidents.

Maybe you would like to start a thread to survey how many in SG, actually avoided accidents using ABS, Traction Control & ESP.

Duhh.....what a pointless ABS test in the dry n straight line.

ABS is abt maintaining control n swerving around the danger in the wet.

Not like dry you don't need ABS.

In this case for the Vios with or without ABS it's the same... But perhaps result might differs with a full load?

That's a good point. I think also depends on the brakes setup whether all discs or only front discs.

I still can believe the Camry with ABS seems to stop shorter compared with VIOS.

↡ Advertisement

In real life situations I dun think conditions will be like these tests. What I dun like about Japanese cars here is that they dun come with ESP or stability control. Some dun even have traction control that comes as standard.

ABS is to stop your wheels from slipping or lose traction on dry/wet surface...when you are stopping.

Stability control or ESP stops your car from sliding sideways by cutting power whenever neccessary.

Imagine this Altis even with ABS tries to avoid obstacles by swerving left & right before coming to a full stop. W/o ESP it will most likely slide sideways.

Start from 6:04 to watch the ESP test. Like what Tiff mentioned, ABS and traction control works well on the straight line...

In reality we need all three, ABS, Traction Control & ESP to avoid potential accidents.

That it why I rather get a conti even it have higher maintenance cost as it had better safety equipment.

At least now Kia safety equipment is almost on par with the continue.

Nippon model like Altis, Vios are still so basic...

• Praise 1

Twincharged

Why they always test by locking up the wheels? Too bad my car also no ABS or any other traction control kind of things.

• Praise 1

If you happen to be very composed during the emergency, use manual ABS - pumping actions on brakes. Your car will stop in much shorter distance, and if there's any tailgater behind even with BBK, conspermed he/she will kiss your a$$.

Why they always test by locking up the wheels? Too bad my car also no ABS or any other traction control kind of things.

• Praise 1

Twincharged

If you happen to be very composed during the emergency, use manual ABS - pumping actions on brakes. Your car will stop in much shorter distance, and if there's any tailgater behind even with BBK, conspermed he/she will kiss your a$$.

Thats what happened to me 2 years back. An Evo rammed into my back when I was doing E-brake cuz a motorcycle skidded infront of me. The Evo driver claimed he couldn't stop in time cuz road is wet. The fact is he was tailgating me and I was on the second lane.

I normally just brake to the point where the wheels just about to lock up rather than pump the brakes. When i got my car I knew it has no ABS so I practiced E-braking for a while without locking the wheels. Now its natural for me to e-brake without locking the wheels. Seems to work better and I still have steering control.

sure boh manual foot ABS?.......doubt anyone can pump the pedal 15-18 times per sec maciam the ABS system pump.

ESP or stablility control, traction control, all depends on the car being suitable for such application in practice. More likely for marketing strategy.

Example: Picanto like many others got the best braking distance in its class. However, at full speed, it can be intermittently losing road adhersion. How to stop in time? [sweatdrop]

Another example: during demonstration with LR, traction control need to be manually assisted by the trained professional driver himself. [sweatdrop]

During NS, wheels were swapped, brake drums sanded diligently with different protocol, to achieve straight line braking along wet road surface (no electronics in those days) for the trucks.

I suggest you watch the full video and pay attention to the details.

I dunno what you mean that ESP and traction control is a marketing strategy . Dan why do car makers make the effort to go to the most extreme environment to test their cars? Eat too full? Nothing to do?

I dunno what you mean by "full speed". What is that? Or rather what figure is that?

I have to say I cannot relate to your what LR example.

During NS vehicles at most go 50km/hr. They still do. In the video the safety systems are tested in the most extreme environment at 70mph that is miles per hour, in km/hr it's 112km/hr. At such speeds there's no way to stop in time but the driver could avoid collision and eventually come to a halt safely with the aid of these systems. W/o them...aiya, you can see it in the video demo. Go watch it.

Edited by Watwheels

That it why I rather get a conti even it have higher maintenance cost as it had better safety equipment.

many jap cars sold in sg today still onli hv 2 airbags and no traction control. some even onli hv drum brakes. OMG.......

+1

I can't believe some ppl say these safety systems are a marketing gimmick.

Blame it on our flawed system. 100% tax on the OMV (ARF), whatever the safety system cost it's added into the omv and taxed 100%. Meaning if an ESP system cost $1000 once it hits our shores it's tax 100% and become $2000. Of course the local car dealers will mass order the most basic car for the ppl to buy here.

I dunno if LTA had noticed such practice and try to do something about it. I highly doubt so.

Edited by Watwheels

many jap cars sold in sg today still onli hv 2 airbags and no traction control. some even onli hv drum brakes. OMG.......

Drum brakes also have different size. If you look at any Suzuki Vitara the rear are equipped with big drum brakes. LoL...

But to be honest drum brakes doesn't dissipate heat as well as ventilated brake rotors. The drum might distort due to exccessive heat.

Supercharged

the best way to avoid accident is not ABS, tract control system and blah blah.

drive with moderate speed and everyone will be safe.

didn't you all seen a ferrari skidded on NS highway? ferrari is cheap car?

didn't you all seen a F1 car skidded on the track? F1 is lousy car with lousy tyres and driver?

anything above the speed limit kills.

drive safe and leave your ego at home. [drivingcar]

• Praise 2

Thats what happened to me 2 years back. An Evo rammed into my back when I was doing E-brake cuz a motorcycle skidded infront of me. The Evo driver claimed he couldn't stop in time cuz road is wet. The fact is he was tailgating me and I was on the second lane.

I normally just brake to the point where the wheels just about to lock up rather than pump the brakes. When i got my car I knew it has no ABS so I practiced E-braking for a while without locking the wheels. Now its natural for me to e-brake without locking the wheels. Seems to work better and I still have steering control.

Seriously your way is wrong as you are not applying full brake force.

Should be= depress fully till the wheels lock up, release it in slip seconds and full force again.

Of course, with technology like ABS the above action is unnecessary. Just depress fully and hope for the best.

• Praise 1

If the driver is a cock, give him/her godly system also no use!

• Praise 1

Seriously your way is wrong as you are not applying full brake force.

Should be= depress fully till the wheels lock up, release it in slip seconds and full force again.

Of course, with technology like ABS the above action is unnecessary. Just depress fully and hope for the best.

Left foot braking can save precious split seconds in an emergency also.

Drum brakes also have different size. If you look at any Suzuki Vitara the rear are equipped with big drum brakes. LoL...

But to be honest drum brakes doesn't dissipate heat as well as ventilated brake rotors. The drum might distort due to exccessive heat.

I converted the stock rear drums to disc brakes, for added braking effects.

Last time during tracking we did manual pumping to avoid full lock of brakes during hard braking into corners. Later used better brakes system with ABS, lost touch with such manual techniques.

[scholar][thumbsup][bounce1]

the best way to avoid accident is not ABS, tract control system and blah blah.

drive with moderate speed and everyone will be safe.

didn't you all seen a ferrari skidded on NS highway? ferrari is cheap car?

didn't you all seen a F1 car skidded on the track? F1 is lousy car with lousy tyres and driver?

anything above the speed limit kills.

drive safe and leave your ego at home. [drivingcar]